- Faculty Affiliate, Institute for Engineering Education and Innovation, Texas A&M Engineering Experiment Station (TEES)
- Associate Professor of the Practice, Mechanical Engineering, College of Engineering
My primary interest in engineering education is to learn about modern pedagogy practices in order to actively engage students in the classroom and help them better understand complex engineering concepts. While my specific objective is to assist students with mastering these concepts, my underlying goal is to have students master the learning process during their college academic career. The goal is to help turn the novice learners into expert learners where they want to learn, know how to learn strategically, and are well prepared for a lifetime of learning in the engineering career field.
- Ph.D. in Aerospace Engineering, Wichita State University - (Wichita, Kansas, United States) 2002
- M.S. in Aeronautical Engineering, Air Force Institute of Technology - (Dayton, Ohio, United States) 1988
- B.S. in Aerospace Engineering, Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States) 1982
- Sapkota, B., Singh, V., Cope, D., Valasek, J., & Bagavathiannan, M. (2020). Mapping and Estimating Weeds in Cotton Using Unmanned Aerial Systems-Borne Imagery. AGRIENGINEERING. 2(2), 24-366.
- Anderson, S. L., Murray, S. C., Chen, Y., Malambo, L., Chang, A., Popescu, S., Cope, D., & Jung, J. (2020). Unoccupied aerial system enabled functional modeling of maize height reveals dynamic expression of loci.. Plant Direct. 4(5), e00223.
- Anderson, S. L., Murray, S. C., Malambo, L., Ratcliff, C., Popescu, S., Cope, D., ... Thomasson, J. A (2019). Prediction of Maize Grain Yield before Maturity Using Improved Temporal Height Estimates of Unmanned Aerial Systems. The Plant Phenome Journal. 2(1), 1-15.
- Pugh, N. A., Han, X., Collins, S. D., Thomasson, J. A., Cope, D., Chang, A., ... Rooney, W. L. (2018). Estimation of plant health in a sorghum field infected with anthracnose using a fixed-wing unmanned aerial system. JOURNAL OF CROP IMPROVEMENT. 32(6), 861-877.
- Han, X., Thomasson, J. A., Bagnall, G. C., Pugh, N. A., Horne, D. W., Rooney, W. L., ... Cope, D. A. (2018). Measurement and Calibration of Plant-Height from Fixed-Wing UAV Images.. Sensors (Basel). 18(12), 4092-4092.
- Singh, V., Rana, A., Bishop, M., Filippi, A. M., Cope, D., Rajan, N., & Bagavathiannan, M. (2020). Unmanned aircraft systems for precision weed detection and management: Prospects and challenges. Advances in Agronomy. ADVANCES IN AGRONOMY, VOL 159. 93-134. Elsevier.
- Bishop, M. P., Bagavathiannan, M. V., Cope, D. A., Huo, D. a., Murray, S. C., Olsenholler, J. A., ... Vidrine, M. (2018). High-Resolution UAS Imagery in Agricultural Research Concepts, Issues, and Research Directions. High Spatial Resolution Remote Sensing. 3-32. CRC Press.
- Han, X., Thomasson, J. A., Bagnall, C., Pugh, N. A., Horne, D. W., Rooney, W. L., ... Cope, D. A. (2018). Calibrated Plant Height Estimates with Structure from Motion from Fixed-wing UAV Images. AUTONOMOUS AIR AND GROUND SENSING SYSTEMS FOR AGRICULTURAL OPTIMIZATION AND PHENOTYPING III, Autonomous Air and Ground Sensing Systems for Agricultural Optimization and Phenotyping III. 10664, 106640d.
- Shi, Y., Thomasson, J. A., Yang, C., Cope, D., & Sima, C. (2017). A case study of comparing radiometrically calibrated reflectance of an image mosaic from unmanned aerial system with that of a single image from manned aircraft over a same area. SPIE Proceedings, SPIE Commercial + Scientific Sensing and Imaging. 10218, 102180b-102180b-6.
- Thomasson, J. A., Shi, Y., Sima, C., Yang, C., & Cope, D. A. (2017). Automated geographic registration and radiometric correction for UAV-based mosaics. SPIE Proceedings, SPIE Commercial + Scientific Sensing and Imaging. 10218, 102180k-102180k-10.
- Rajan, N., Shafian, S., Cope, D., Bagavathiannan, M., Malambo, L., Popescu, S., & Rooney, B. (2017). Field research applications of UAS. AUVSI XPONENTIAL 2017.
- Avant, B., Cope, D., Jung, J., & Shafian, S (2017). Unmanned aerial systems project for precision agriculture and high throughput field phenotyping. AUVSI XPONENTIAL 2017.
Repository Documents / Preprints1
- Anderson, S. L., Murray, S. C., Chen, Y., Malambo, L., Chang, A., Popescu, S., Cope, D., & Jung, J (2019). Unoccupied aerial system enabled functional modeling of maize (Zea mays L.) height reveals dynamic expression of loci associated to temporal growth.