My research program focuses on the development of information to understand mechanisms of stress resistance in perennial grasses that are used for turf and conservation purposes. The primary focus of the program is to develop fundamental information for an understanding of mechanisms of drought and temperature resistance in perennial grasses. My research program also contributes to applied programs in irrigation water management and conservation and results in the refinement of management strategies that reduce cultural inputs required to maintain turfgrass areas.
- Fontanier, C. H., Aitkenhead‐Peterson, J. A., Wherley, B. G., White, R. H., Thomas, J. C., & Dwyer, P. (2017). Deficit Irrigation and Fertility Effects on NO3–N Exports from St. Augustinegrass. Journal of Environmental Quality. 46(4), 793-801.
- Fontanier, C., Wherley, B., White, R., Aitkenhead-Peterson, J., & Chalmers, D. (2017). Historical ETo-based irrigation scheduling for St. Augustinegrass Lawns in the South-Central United States. Irrigation Science. 35(4), 347-356.
- Hargey, D., Wherley, B., Reynolds, C., White, R., & Parker, G. (2016). Performance of Winter Overseeded and Colorant-treated ‘Tifway’ Bermudagrass Receiving Weekly Irrigation and Simulated Traffic. HORTSCIENCE. 51(5), 580-587.
- Hejl, R. W., Wherley, B. G., White, R. H., Thomas, J. C., & Fontanier, C. H. (2016). Deficit Irrigation and Simulated Traffic on ‘Tifway’ Bermudagrass Summer Performance and Autumn Recovery. CROP SCIENCE. 56(2), 809-817.
- Hejl, R. W., Wherley, B. G., Thomas, J. C., & White, R. H. (2015). Irrigation Water Quality and Trinexapac-ethyl Effects on Bermudagrass Response to Deficit Irrigation. HORTSCIENCE. 50(7), 1081-1087.
- Hale, T. C., White, R. H., Reinert, J. A., & Snook, M. E. (2008). Zoysiagrass (Zoysia spp.) resistance to fall armyworm (Spodoptera ftugiperda): Polyphenols and flavonoids - Components of resistance. PROCEEDINGS OF THE IVTH INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM ON ROSE RESEARCH AND CULTIVATION. 783(783), 507-517.
- Choi, I., Munster, C. L., Victor, D. M., White, R. H., Stewart, G. A., & Richards, C. E. (2005). Calibration and validation of the SWAT model on a field-scale watershed for turfgrass sod establishment. 338-347.
- Hargey, Daniel Francis (2015-12). Establishment and Management of Turfgrass Under Municipal Water Restrictions. (Master's Thesis)
- Fontanier, Charles Henry (2015-12). Hydrological and Biogeochemical Investigations of Irrigation and Nutrient Management Effects on Surface Runoff from St. Augustinegrass Lawns. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Hejl, Reagan Wesley (2014-05). Deficit Irrigation Programs for Water Conservation in the Management of Bermudagrass Fairways in Texas. (Master's Thesis)
- Abernathy, Scott (2014-05). The Molecular and Physiological Basis for Temperature Mediated Regulation of Dwarfness in Tifdward Bermudagrass. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Milberger, Whitney F. (2010-05). Home Consumer Perceptions about Landscape Water Conservation and Relationships with Historical Usage. (Master's Thesis)