Informed by my vision for scholarship, the overarching theme/goal of my research is promoting individual, organizational and national development through culture-sensitive and evidence-based research. Within this theme, I have examined critical human resource development (HRD) issues in five interacting dimensions from three perspectives: culture, learning, and change: national & cross-cultural HRD, workplace learning, crisis management, workplace incivility, and career/family issues. First, guided by the cultural perspective, I examine policies/practices related to training and developing human resources in cultural contexts (National and Cross-Cultural HRD). Second, guided by the learning perspective, I examine how learning-based interventions contribute to individual and organizational development (Workplace Learning). Third, guided by the change perspective, I examine strategies that help individuals and organizations cope with crisis events (Crisis Management). Fourth, guided by the cultural perspective (particularly at the organizational level), I examine the impact of the work climate and uncivil behaviors on individuals and organizations (Workplace Incivility). Finally, guided by the cultural perspective, I examine issues that influence individual career experiences and work-family integration in national/organizational contexts.
- Ph.D. in Human Resource & Organizational Development, University of Georgia - (Athens, Georgia, United States) 2004
- M.Ed. in Human Resource & Organizational Development, University of Georgia - (Athens, Georgia, United States) 2003
- M.B.A. in Business Administration, Aston University - (Birmingham, United Kingdom) 1999
- B.A. in English Language & Culture, Sichuan International Studies University - (Chongqing, China) 1993
- Kim, S., Kwon, K., & Wang, J. (2022). Impacts of job control on overtime and stress: cases in the United States and South Korea. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF HUMAN RESOURCE MANAGEMENT. 33(7), 1352-1376.
- Oh, J., Shirmohammadi, M., Jeong, S., & Wang, J. (2021). Leaving the military to work in civilian society: career adaptability by South Korean short- and mid-term veterans. CAREER DEVELOPMENT INTERNATIONAL. 26(3), 415-434.
- Makarem, Y., & Wang, J. (2020). Career experiences of women in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics fields: A systematic literature review. HUMAN RESOURCE DEVELOPMENT QUARTERLY. 31(1), 91-111.
- Wang, J. (2020). Rethinking the Impact of HRD: New Year, New Opportunities. HUMAN RESOURCE DEVELOPMENT REVIEW. 19(1), 3-4.
- Oh, J., & Wang, J. (2020). Spiritual leadership:current status and Agenda for future research and practice. JOURNAL OF MANAGEMENT SPIRITUALITY & RELIGION. 17(3), 223-248.
- Ghaderi, Z., Som, A., & Wang, J. (2021). 2 Organizational learning in tourism crisis management: An experience from Malaysia. Organizational learning in tourism and hospitality crisis management. 7-30. DE GRUYTER.
- Chakraborty, M., & Wang, J. (2015). The Postmodern Approach to Career Counseling for Contemporary Organizations. Impact of Diversity on Organization and Career Development. 252-274. IGI Global.
- Wang, J., & Shirmohammadi, M. (2014). Tapping Social Capital through E-Mentoring. Handbook of Research on Education and Technology in a Changing Society. 553-568. IGI Global.
- Wang, J. (2012). Human Resource Development and Technology Integration. Encyclopedia of E-Leadership, Counseling and Training. 391-407. IGI Global.
- Wang, J. (2012). Organizational Learning and Technology. Encyclopedia of E-Leadership, Counseling and Training. 154-170. IGI Global.
- Nagarathnam, B., & Wang, J. (2017). Developing next generation distribution managers through competency development. 2017 International Annual Conference of the American Society for Engineering Management, ASEM 2017.
- EHRD601 Foundations Of Hrd Instructor
- EHRD607 International Hrd Instructor
- EHRD612 Training & Dev In Hrd Instructor
- EHRD622 Training Task Analysis Instructor
- EHRD628 Rsch & Publishing In Hrd Instructor
- Nagarathnam, Bharani Babu (2016-12). National Human Resource Development: Review of Research and a Framework for Practice. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Kang, Hyounju (2016-08). Work-Life Balance in South Korea: Experiences of the Highly Educated and Married Female Korean Employees with Flexible Workplace Arrangements. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Chai, Dae Seok (2016-08). The Impact of Positive Psychological Capital and Perceived Support on Work Performance of Korean Expatriates: The Mediating Effects of Cross-Cultural Adjustment and Work Engagement. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Beigi, Mina (2015-08). Work-Family Interaction among Faculty: A Systematic Literature Review and a Phenomenological Study. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Rolle, Amanda Talley (2015-05). Ask Them They'll Tell You! Eliciting Police Perspectives to Improve Interrogation Practices. (Doctoral Dissertation)