Catalysis lies at the heart of many unmet chemical challenges. Research efforts in our group focus on development of new catalytic chemistry to impact both chemical synthesis as well as chemical storage of solar energy. Projects span organic, organometallic, and inorganic chemistries and rely on the tools of modern synthetic chemistry and spectroscopy, as well as advanced characterization techniques supported at synchrotron X-ray sources. Representative research interests include: shape-selective catalysis, solar energy storage in organic solar-thermal flow batteries, and aerobic oxidation chemistry for C-H functionalization reactions. We are seeking students who wish to gain expertise in synthetic chemistry and reaction mechanism elucidation.
- Das, A., Van Trieste, G. P., & Powers, D. C. (2020). Crystallography of Reactive Intermediates. COMMENTS ON INORGANIC CHEMISTRY. 40(3), 1-43.
- Maity, A., Frey, B. L., Hoskinson, N. D., & Powers, D. C. (2020). Electrocatalytic C-N Coupling via Anodically Generated Hypervalent Iodine Intermediates.. Journal of the American Chemical Society. 142(11), 4990-4995.
- Gao, W., Sur, A., Wang, C., Lorzing, G. R., Antonio, A. M., Taggart, G. A., ... Powers, D. C. (2020). Atomically Precise Crystalline Materials Based on Kinetically Inert Metal Ions via Reticular Mechanopolymerization. Angewandte Chemie - International Edition. 59(27), 10878-10883.
- Baek, Y., Das, A., Zheng, S., Reibenspies, J. H., Powers, D. C., & Betley, T. A. (2020). C-H Amination Mediated by Cobalt Organoazide Adducts and the Corresponding Cobalt Nitrenoid Intermediates.. Journal of the American Chemical Society. 142(25), 11232-11243.
- Hyun, S., Upadhyay, A., Das, A., Burns, C. P., Sung, S., Beaty, J. D., ... Powers, D. C. (2020). Kinetic versus thermodynamic metalation enables synthesis of isostructural homo- and heterometallic trinuclear clusters. Chemical Communications. 56(44), 5893-5896.
- Templating Lattice-Confined Catalysts for Selective Hydrocarbon Upgrading awarded by DOE-Office Of Science 2018 - 2023