Catalysis lies at the heart of many unmet chemical challenges. Research efforts in our group focus on development of new catalytic chemistry to impact both chemical synthesis as well as chemical storage of solar energy. Projects span organic, organometallic, and inorganic chemistries and rely on the tools of modern synthetic chemistry and spectroscopy, as well as advanced characterization techniques supported at synchrotron X-ray sources. Representative research interests include: shape-selective catalysis, solar energy storage in organic solar-thermal flow batteries, and aerobic oxidation chemistry for C-H functionalization reactions. We are seeking students who wish to gain expertise in synthetic chemistry and reaction mechanism elucidation.
- Reid, K. A., & Powers, D. C. (2021). In crystallo organometallic chemistry. Chem Commun (Camb). 57(41), 4993-5003.
- Ezazi, A. A., Gao, W., & Powers, D. C. (2021). Leveraging Exchange Kinetics for the Synthesis of Atomically Precise Porous Catalysts. ChemCatChem. 13(9), 2117-2131.
- Gao, W., Van Trieste III, G. P., & Powers, D. C. (2020). Synthesis of atomically precise single-crystalline Ru 2 -based coordination polymers. Dalton Transactions. 49(45), 16077-16081.
- Gao, W., Sur, A., Wang, C., Lorzing, G. R., Antonio, A. M., Taggart, G. A., ... Powers, D. C. (2020). Atomically Precise Crystalline Materials Based on Kinetically Inert Metal Ions via Reticular Mechanopolymerization. ANGEWANDTE CHEMIE-INTERNATIONAL EDITION. 59(27), 10878-10883.
- Hyun, S., Upadhyay, A., Das, A., Burns, C. P., Sung, S., Beaty, J. D., ... Powers, D. C. (2020). Kinetic versus thermodynamic metalation enables synthesis of isostructural homo- and heterometallic trinuclear clusters. Chem Commun (Camb). 56(44), 5893-5896.
- Templating Lattice-Confined Catalysts for Selective Hydrocarbon Upgrading awarded by DOE-Office Of Science 2018 - 2023