I am primarily interested in how behavioral and social forces affect human actors at the top of the organization. I conduct research in the areas of corporate governance, top executives and directors, and technology and new industry formation.
education and training
- Ph.D. in Strategic Management, The University of Texas at Austin - (Austin, Texas, United States) 2006
- M.S. in Organizational Behavior, Brigham Young University - (Provo, Utah, United States) 2001
- B.S. in Business Management, Utah State University - (Logan, Utah, United States) 1999
- Andrus, J. L., Withers, M. C., Courtright, S. H., & Boivie, S. (2019). Go your own way: Exploring the causes of top executive turnover. STRATEGIC MANAGEMENT JOURNAL.
- Harrison, J. S., Thurgood, G. R., Boivie, S., & Pfarrer, M. D. (2019). Measuring CEO personality: Developing, validating, and testing a linguistic tool. STRATEGIC MANAGEMENT JOURNAL.
- Harrison, J. S., Boivie, S., Sharp, N. Y., & Gentry, R. J. (2018). Saving face: How exit in response to negative press and star analyst downgrades reflects reputation maintenance by directors. ACADEMY OF MANAGEMENT JOURNAL. 61(3), 1131-1157.
- Boivie, S., Bednar, M. K., Aguilera, R. V., & Andrus, J. L. (2016). Are Boards Designed to Fail? The Implausibility of Effective Board Monitoring. ACADEMY OF MANAGEMENT ANNALS. 10(1), 319-407.
- Boivie, S., Graffin, S. D., Oliver, A. G., & Withers, M. C. (2016). COME ABOARD! EXPLORING THE EFFECTS OF DIRECTORSHIPS IN THE EXECUTIVE LABOR MARKET. ACADEMY OF MANAGEMENT JOURNAL. 59(5), 1681-1706.
- Christensen, D. M., Dhaliwal, D. S., Boivie, S., & Graffin, S. D. (2015). Top management conservatism and corporate risk strategies: Evidence from managers' personal political orientation and corporate tax avoidance. STRATEGIC MANAGEMENT JOURNAL. 36(12), 1918-1938.
- Boivie, S., Lange, D., Lee, P. M., & Paik, E. (2014). Effects of conformity to and deviation from the crowd: Reputation in the context of equity analysts. Academy of Management Proceedings. 2014(1), 991-996.
- Lange, D., Boivie, S., & Westphal, J. D. (2011). Predicting organizational identification at the CEO level.
- Graffin, S. D., Boivie, S., & Carpenter, M. A. (2011). The role of evaluative uncertainty in CEO pay & early dismissal.
- Boivie, S., Lange, D., McDonald, M. L., & Westphal, J. D. (2009). Me or we: The effects of CEO organizational identification on agency costs.
chaired theses and dissertations
- Andrus, Joel Leavitt (2018-08). Unlocking a Configurational Perspective of Institutional Logics: Market Entry Actions by U.S. Landfills, 1970-2014. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Harrison, Joseph Spencer (2017-05). Social Ties, Shared Values, and Turnover at the Top of Underperforming Firms. (Doctoral Dissertation)
Texas A&M University; Management; 4221 TAMU
College Station, TX 77843-4221