Dr. Lei Zou's research interests are mining geospatial Big Data to analyze and model human-environment interactions. He has involved in four National Science Foundation (NSF) funded projects and three projects funded by USGS, Louisiana Sea Grant, and Netherlands RAAK Public Grant. Increasingly frequent natural hazards and global environmental changes have posed huge challenges to the sustainability of human communities. Meanwhile, human behaviors are also changing the landscape and ecology of planet earth. Understanding the impacts and feedbacks between human and natural systems is the key to build a sustainable future for both systems. To build disaster resilience and long-term sustainability, his research focuses on (1) developing algorithms to derive practical indices from location-based social media data and utilizing those indices to enhance disaster resilience and emergency management; (2) applications of Deep Learning in automatic tagging and information extraction of social media data; (3) coupled natural-human system modeling for population dynamics, land loss and urban growth; and (4) developing estimation models of community resilience to multiple types of natural hazards.
- Louisiana State University - (Baton Rouge, Louisiana, United States), Postdoctoral Training 2018
- D.Phil. in Environmental Science, Louisiana State University - (Baton Rouge, Louisiana, United States) 2017
- M.A.Sc. in GIS, Chinese Academy of Sciences - (Beijing, Beijing, China) 2013
- B.A.S. in Remote Sensing, Wuhan University - (Wuhan, China) 2010
- Yang, B., Wang, Z., Zou, L., Zou, L., & Zhang, H. (2021). Exploring the eco-efficiency of cultivated land utilization and its influencing factors in China's Yangtze River Economic Belt, 2001–2018. Journal of Environmental Management. 294, 112939-112939.
- Zhang, Z., Zou, L., Li, W., Usery, L., Albrecht, J., & Armstrong, M. (2021). Cyberinfrastructure and intelligent spatial decision support systems. Transactions in GIS. 25(4), 1651-1653.
- Huang, X., Zhu, D. i., Zhang, F., Liu, T., Li, X., & Zou, L. (2021). Sensing Population Distribution from Satellite Imagery Via Deep Learning:Model Selection, Neighboring Effects, and Systematic Biases. IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observations and Remote Sensing. 14, 5137-5151.
- Wang, K., Lam, N., Zou, L., & Mihunov, V. (2021). Twitter Use in Hurricane Isaac and Its Implications for Disaster Resilience. ISPRS International Journal of Geo-Information. 10(3), 116-116.
- Correll, R. M., Lam, N., Mihunov, V. V., Zou, L., & Cai, H. (2021). Economics over Risk: Flooding Is Not the Only Driving Factor of Migration Considerations on a Vulnerable Coast. Annals of the American Association of Geographers. 111(1), 300-315.
- Lam, N., Xu, Y. J., Pace, R. K., Liu, K., Qiang, Y. i., Narra, S., ... Mihunov, V. (2019). Collaboration Across Boundaries: Reflections on Studying the Sustainability of the Mississippi River Delta as a Coupled Natural-Human System. Perz, S. G. (Eds.), Collaboration Across Boundaries for Social-Ecological Systems Science. 361-393. Springer International Publishing.
- Chen, X., Zou, L., & Zhao, B. o. (2019). Detecting Climate Change Deniers on Twitter Using a Deep Neural Network. Proceedings of the 2019 11th International Conference on Machine Learning and Computing - ICMLC '19, the 2019 11th International Conference. Part F148150, 204-210.
- Lam, N., Qiang, Y. i., Li, K., Cai, H., Zou, L., & Mihunov#, V. (2018). Extending Resilience Assessment to Dynamic System Modeling: Perspectives on Human Dynamics and Climate Change Research. Journal of Coastal Research. 85(sp1), 1401-1405.
- Lei, Z., Bing, Z., Junsheng, L. i., Qian, S., Fangfang, Z., & Ganlin, W. (2014). A Study on Retrieval Algorithm of Black Water Aggregation in Taihu Lake Based on HJ-1 Satellite Images. IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Science. 17(1), 012100-012100.
- Zou, L., Zhang, B., Li, J., Song, Y., Shen, Q., & Li, L. (2012). A comparative analysis of the ‘transmittance’ method between using integrating sphere and filter holders for measuring light absorption by aquatic particles. 2012 IEEE International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium, IGARSS 2012 - 2012 IEEE International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium. 1, 2567-2570.
- Li, J., Zhang, B., Shen, Q., Zou, L., & Li, L. (2012). Monitoring water quality of Lake Taihu from HJ-CCD data using empirical models. 2012 IEEE International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium, IGARSS 2012 - 2012 IEEE International Geoscience and Remote Sensing Symposium. 1, 812-815.