My research interests center on investigating how exposure to psychotropic drugs (e.g. stimulants, antidepressants), and stress (whether physical or emotional), modifies the biochemical integrity of neuronal pathways involved in the regulation of mood and motivated behaviors, and how these pharmacological and/or environmental manipulations early-in-life affect biochemical and behavioral functioning later in adulthood. Understanding the relationship(s) between brain and behavior from a developmental perspective can provide novel insights for the development of therapeutics for stress and drug dependence. As noted by my professional development and publication record below, I have been involved in research questions with high degree of translational relevance.
- Ph.D. in Experimental Psychology, Northeastern University - (Shenyang, China) 2000
- M.A. in Experimental Psychology, California State University, San Bernardino - (San Bernardino, California, United States) 1995
- B.A. in Psychology, California State University, San Bernardino - (San Bernardino, California, United States) 1993
- Sial, O. K., Parise, E. M., Parise, L. F., Gnecco, T., & Bolaños-Guzmán, C. A. (2020). Ketamine: The final frontier or another depressing end?. Behav Brain Res. 383, 112508-112508.
- Kokane, S. S., Armant, R. J., Bolaños-Guzmán, C. A., & Perrotti, L. I. (2020). Overlap in the neural circuitry and molecular mechanisms underlying ketamine abuse and its use as an antidepressant. Behav Brain Res. 384, 112548-112548.
- Alter, D., Beverley, J. A., Patel, R., Bolaños-Guzmán, C. A., & Steiner, H. (2017). The 5-HT1B serotonin receptor regulates methylphenidate-induced gene expression in the striatum: Differential effects on immediate-early genes. Journal of Psychopharmacology. 31(8), 1078-1087.
- McHenry, J. A., Robison, C. L., Bell, G. A., Vialou, V. V., Bolaños-Guzmán, C. A., Nestler, E. J., & Hull, E. M. (2016). The Role of ΔFosB in the Medial Preoptic Area: Differential Effects of Mating and Cocaine History. BEHAVIORAL NEUROSCIENCE. 130(5), 469-478.
- Bolaños-Guzmán, C. A., & Zarate Jr, C. A. (2016). Underrepresented Minorities in Science: ACNP Strives to Increase Minority Representation and Inclusion. NEUROPSYCHOPHARMACOLOGY. 41(10), 2421-2423.