My research interests center on investigating how exposure to psychotropic drugs (e.g. stimulants, antidepressants), and stress (whether physical or emotional), modifies the biochemical integrity of neuronal pathways involved in the regulation of mood and motivated behaviors, and how these pharmacological and/or environmental manipulations early-in-life affect biochemical and behavioral functioning later in adulthood. Understanding the relationship(s) between brain and behavior from a developmental perspective can provide novel insights for the development of therapeutics for stress and drug dependence. As noted by my professional development and publication record below, I have been involved in research questions with high degree of translational relevance.
- Ph.D. in Experimental Psychology, Northeastern University - (Shenyang, China) 2000
- M.A. in Experimental Psychology, California State University, San Bernardino - (San Bernardino, California, United States) 1995
- B.A. in Psychology, California State University, San Bernardino - (San Bernardino, California, United States) 1993
- Henningfield, J. E., Fields, S., Anthony, J. C., Brown, L. S., Bolaños-Guzmán, C. A., Comer, S. D., ... Zarate, C. A. (2021). Reply to Drs. Hart and Cadet: we agree—the challenges of increasing equity, diversity and inclusion include societal issues and actions now are vital. NEUROPSYCHOPHARMACOLOGY. 46(5), 878-879.
- Parise, L. F., Sial, O. K., Warren, B. L., Sattler, C. R., Duperrouzel, J. C., Parise, E. M., & Bolaños-Guzmán, C. A. (2020). Nicotine treatment buffers negative behavioral consequences induced by exposure to physical and emotional stress in adolescent male mice. Psychopharmacology. 237(10), 3125-3137.
- Henningfield, J. E., Fields, S., Anthony, J. C., Brown, L. S., Bolaños-Guzmán, C. A., Comer, S. D., ... Zarate, C. A. (2020). Advancing equity, diversity, and inclusion in the American College of Neuropsychopharmacology (ACNP): advances, challenges, and opportunities to accelerate progress. NEUROPSYCHOPHARMACOLOGY. 46(5), 871-876.
- Sial, O. K., Parise, E. M., Parise, L. F., Gnecco, T., & Bolaños-Guzmán, C. A. (2020). Ketamine: The final frontier or another depressing end?. Behavioural Brain Research. 383, 112508-112508.
- Kokane, S. S., Armant, R. J., Bolaños-Guzmán, C. A., & Perrotti, L. I. (2020). Overlap in the neural circuitry and molecular mechanisms underlying ketamine abuse and its use as an antidepressant. Behavioural Brain Research. 384, 112548-112548.