Heidi A Campbell is Professor of Communication and affiliate faculty in Religious Studies and a Presidential Impact Fellow at Texas A&M University. She teaches undergrad and graduate course in digital media, religious studies and communication. She is also director of the Network for New Media, Religion and Digital Culture Studies, and a recognized as one of the founder of Digital Religion studies, a new subfield of study that explores how religious beliefs and practices are performed online and offline within digital culture.
- Ph.D. in Computer-mediated Communication and Practical Theology, University of Edinburgh - (Edinburgh, United Kingdom) 2002
- M.Th. in Theology and Ethics of Communication, University of Edinburgh - (Edinburgh, United Kingdom) 1997
- B.A. in Communications and International Studies, Spring Arbor University - (Spring Arbor, Michigan, United States) 1992
- Campbell, H. A., & Evolvi, G. (2020). Contextualizing current digital religion research on emerging technologies. Human Behavior and Emerging Technologies. 2(1), 5-17.
- Xu, S., & Campbell, H. A. (2018). Surveying digital religion in China: Characteristics of religion on the Internet in Mainland China. Communication Review. 21(4), 253-276.
- Campbell, H. A., Arredondo, K., Dundas, K., & Wolf, C. (2018). The Dissonance of \"Civil\" Religion in Religious-Political Memetic Discourse During the 2016 Presidential Elections. Social Media and Society. 4(2), 205630511878267-205630511878267.
- Tsuria, R., Yadlin-Segal, A., Vitullo, A., & Campbell, H. A. (2017). Approaches to digital methods in studies of digital religion. Communication Review. 20(2), 73-97.
- Aguilar, G. K., Campbell, H. A., Stanley, M., & Taylor, E. (2017). Communicating mixed messages about religion through internet memes. INFORMATION COMMUNICATION & SOCIETY. 20(10), 1498-1520.
- Campbell, H. A., & Garner, S. (2016). Networked Theology (Engaging Culture) Negotiating Faith in Digital Culture. Baker Academic.
- Campbell, H. A. (2010). When religion meets new media. Routledge.
- Campbell, H. (2005). Exploring Religious Community Online We are One in the Network. Peter Lang.
- Campbell, H. A. (2015). Introduction: Studying jewish engagement with digital media and culture. Campbell, H. (Eds.), Digital Judaism: Jewish Negotiations with Digital Media and Culture. (pp. 1-15). Routledge.
- Campbell, H. A., & Connelly, L. (2015). Religion and New Media. Wright, J. D. (Eds.), International Encyclopedia of the Social & Behavioral Sciences (Second Edition). (pp. 273-278). Elsevier.
- Campbell, H. A., & Bellar, W. (2015). Sanctifying the internet: Aish hatorah's use of the internet for digital outreach. Campbell, H. (Eds.), Digital Judaism: Jewish Negotiations with Digital Media and Culture. (pp. 74-90). Routledge.
- Campbell, H. A., & Grieve, G. P. (2014). INTRODUCTION: What Playing with Religion Offers Digital Game Studies. CAMPBELL, H. A., & GRIEVE, G. P. (Eds.), Playing with Religion in Digital Games. (pp. 1-22). Indiana University Press.
- Campbell, H. A. (2014). Reflection: Koshering the cell phone. Media, Religion and Culture: An Introduction. (pp. 119-120). Routledge.
- (2015). Digital Judaism: Jewish negotiations with digital media and culture. Routledge. 1-213.
- (2012). Digital religion: Understanding religious practice in new media worlds. Routledge. 1-273.
- (2014). Playing with religion in digital games. Indiana University Press. 1-301.
- Professional Excellence Award conferred by Spring Arbor University - (Spring Arbor, Michigan, United States) - Alumni Association 2018
- Aggies Celebrate Teaching conferred by Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States) - Center for Teaching Excellence 2017
- Tsuria, Ruth (2017-08). New Media in the Jewish Bedroom: Exploring Religious Jewish Online Discourse Concerning Gender and Sexuality. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Bellar, Wendi R (2017-08). iPray: Understanding the Relationship Between Design and Use in Catholic and Islamic Mobile Prayer Applications. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Altenhofen, Brian Joseph (2016-05). 'Sharing' the Catholic Faith: How Priests Establish/Maintain Religious Authority on Facebook. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Calderon, Patricia A. (2009-05). THE MEDIA'S PLACE IN RELIGIOUS INDIVIDUALISM: A CASE STUDY OF LAKEWOOD CHURCH. (Master's Thesis)