Heidi A Campbell is Professor of Communication and affiliate faculty in Religious Studies and a Presidential Impact Fellow at Texas A&M University. She teaches undergrad and graduate course in digital media, religious studies and communication. She is also director of the Network for New Media, Religion and Digital Culture Studies, and a recognized as one of the founder of Digital Religion studies, a new subfield of study that explores how religious beliefs and practices are performed online and offline within digital culture.
- Ph.D. in Computer-mediated Communication and Practical Theology, University of Edinburgh - (Edinburgh, United Kingdom) 2002
- M.Th. in Theology and Ethics of Communication, University of Edinburgh - (Edinburgh, United Kingdom) 1997
- B.A. in Communications and International Studies, Spring Arbor University - (Spring Arbor, Michigan, United States) 1992
- Campbell, H. A., & Sheldon, Z. (2021). Religious Responses to Social Distancing Revealed through Memes during the COVID-19 Pandemic. Religions. 12(9), 787-787.
- Xu, S., & Campbell, H. A. (2021). The internet usage of religious organizations in Mainland China: Case analysis of the Buddhist Association of China. Human Behavior and Emerging Technologies. 3(2), 339-346.
- Tsuria, R., & Campbell, H. A. (2021). In My Own Opinion: Negotiation of Rabbinical Authority Online in Responsa Within Kipa.co.il. Journal of Communication Inquiry. 45(1), 65-84.
- Peterson, K. M., & Campbell, H. A. (2020). Introduction Essay: Special Issue of RMDC on Public Scholarship, Media and Religion. Journal of Religion, Media and Digital Culture. 9(2), 141-147.
- Campbell, H. A., & Evolvi, G. (2020). Contextualizing current digital religion research on emerging technologies. Human Behavior and Emerging Technologies. 2(1), 5-17.
- Campbell, H. A., & Garner, S. (2016). Networked Theology (Engaging Culture) Negotiating Faith in Digital Culture. Baker Academic.
- Campbell, H. A., & Grieve, G. P. (2014). Playing with religion in digital games. Indiana University Press.
- Campbell, H. A. (2012). Digital religion: Understanding religious practice in new media worlds. Routledge.
- Campbell, H. (2010). When religion meets new media. Routledge.
- Campbell, H. (2005). Exploring Religious Community Online We are One in the Network. Peter Lang.
- Bellar, W. R., Cho, K. J., & Campbell, H. A. (2018). The Intersection of Religion and Mobile Technology. Encyclopedia of Information Science and Technology, Fourth Edition. 6161-6170. IGI Global.
- Campbell, H. A. (2015). Introduction: Studying jewish engagement with digital media and culture. Campbell, H. (Eds.), Digital Judaism: Jewish Negotiations with Digital Media and Culture. 1-15. Routledge.
- Campbell, H. A., & Bellar, W. (2015). Sanctifying the internet: Aish hatorah's use of the internet for digital outreach. Campbell, H. (Eds.), Digital Judaism: Jewish Negotiations with Digital Media and Culture. 74-90. Routledge.
- Campbell, H. A., & Connelly, L. (2015). Religion and New Media. Wright, J. D. (Eds.), International Encyclopedia of the Social & Behavioral Sciences (Second Edition). 273-278. Elsevier.
- Campbell, H. A., & Grieve, G. P. (2014). INTRODUCTION: What Playing with Religion Offers Digital Game Studies. CAMPBELL, H. A., & GRIEVE, G. P. (Eds.), Playing with Religion in Digital Games. 1-22. Indiana University Press.
Repository Documents / Preprints18
- Campbell, H. A., & Jordan, M. (2022). The Digital Divide, Digital Reluctance and Its Impact on Pandemic Churches.
- Campbell, H. A., & Osteen, S. (2022). Embracing Pastoral Entrepreneurship during the Pandemic: Traits needed to be an Effective Digital Pastor.
- Campbell, H. (2021). Needed but Lacking: Impact of Pastors Technology Background During the Pandemic.
- Campbell, H. (2021). The Digital Religion Yearbook 2021.
- Campbell, H. A. (2020). How to build community while worshipping online. - An article submitted to The Conversation
- Campbell, H. (2017). How to use digital devices this Lent for holy reflection. - An article submitted to The Conversation
- Memes used to tweak believers', politicians' views Crux October 24, 2020
- How to build community while worshipping online The Conversation April 16, 2020
- Our father, who art in cyberspace - Churches turn to the internet to reach their flocks The Economist April 11, 2020
- Professional Excellence Award conferred by Spring Arbor University - (Spring Arbor, Michigan, United States) - Alumni Association 2018
- Aggies Celebrate Teaching! Award conferred by Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States) - Center for Teaching Excellence 2017
- Tsuria, Ruth (2017-08). New Media in the Jewish Bedroom: Exploring Religious Jewish Online Discourse Concerning Gender and Sexuality. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Bellar, Wendi R (2017-08). iPray: Understanding the Relationship Between Design and Use in Catholic and Islamic Mobile Prayer Applications. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Altenhofen, Brian Joseph (2016-05). 'Sharing' the Catholic Faith: How Priests Establish/Maintain Religious Authority on Facebook. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Calderon, Patricia A. (2009-05). THE MEDIA'S PLACE IN RELIGIOUS INDIVIDUALISM: A CASE STUDY OF LAKEWOOD CHURCH. (Master's Thesis)