Nikolov's Bioseparations Lab conducts transformative research in bioprocess engineering aimed at the development of novel and cost-effective strategies for extraction and purification of recombinant and native biomolecules. Bioseparations Lab leverages scientific and engineering expertise of lab members to find solutions for a variety of bioprocessing and separations challenges that currently face plant and algal biotechnology. To guide early process development and identify constraints posed by biological system and final product lab members use process simulation. Past and current research projects directed by Dr. Nikolov include industrial protein products derived from rice, sugarcane, tobacco, Lemna minor, and microalgae.
- Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering, Iowa State University - (Ames, Iowa, United States) 1986
- M.S. in Chemical Engineering, Iowa State University - (Ames, Iowa, United States) 1983
- D.E. in Food Engineering, University of Novi Sad - (Novi Sad, Serbia) 1977
- Soto-Sierra, L., Wilken, L. R., Mallawarachchi, S., & Nikolov, Z. L. (2021). Process development of enzymatically-generated algal protein hydrolysates for specialty food applications. 55, 102248-102248.
- Goike, J., Hsieh, C., Horton, A., Gardner, E. C., Bartzoka, F., Wang, N., ... Gollihar, J. D. (2021). Synthetic repertoires derived from convalescent COVID-19 patients enable discovery of SARS-CoV-2 neutralizing antibodies and a novel quaternary binding modality. 2021.04.07.438849.
- Ravi, A., Foster, E. R., Perez, L. M., & Nikolov, Z. L. (2020). Capture chromatography with mixed-mode resins: A case study with recombinant human thioredoxin from Escherichia coli.. J Chromatogr A. 1625, 461327-461327.
- Damaj, M. B., Jifon, J. L., Woodard, S. L., Vargas-Bautista, C., Barros, G., Molina, J., ... Mandadi, K. K. (2020). Unprecedented enhancement of recombinant protein production in sugarcane culms using a combinatorial promoter stacking system.. Sci Rep. 10(1), 13713.
- Soto-Sierra, L., Kulkarni, S., Woodard, S. L., & Nikolov, Z. L. (2020). Processing of permeabilized Chlorella vulgaris biomass into lutein and protein-rich products. Journal of Applied Phycology. 32(3), 1697-1707.
- Nikolov, Z. L., Regan, J. T., Dickey, L. F., & Woodard, S. L. (2017). Purification of Monoclonal Antibodies From Plants. Gottschalk, U. (Eds.), Process Scale Purification of Antibodies, Second Edition. 631-653. John Wiley & Sons, Inc..
- Wilken, L. R., & Nikolov, Z. L. (2016). Aqueous Fractionation of Dry-Milled Corn Germ for Food Protein Production. Nedović, V., Raspor, P., Lević, J., Tumbas Šaponjac, V., & Barbosa-Cánovas, G. V. (Eds.), Emerging and Traditional Technologies for Safe, Healthy and Quality Food. 443-461. Springer International Publishing.
- Nikolov, Z., & Woodard, S. L. (2014). Bioseparation: Proteins. Encyclopedia of Agricultural, Food, and Biological Engineering, Second Edition.
- Wilken, L. R., & Nikolov, Z. L. (2012). Downstream Processing of Transgenic Plant Systems: Protein Recovery and Purification Strategies. Molecular Farming in Plants: Recent Advances and Future Prospects. 217-257. Springer Netherlands.
- Nikolov, Z. L., Regan, J. T., Dickey, L. F., & Woodard, S. L. (2009). Purification of Antibodies From Transgenic Plants. Process Scale Purification of Antibodies. 387-406. John Wiley & Sons, Inc..
- Kulkarni, S. V., & Nikolov, Z. L. (2017). >i
/i<. 2017 Spokane, Washington July 16 - July 19, 2017, 2017 Spokane, Washington July 16 - July 19, 2017.
- Wilson, K., Munjal, N., Gregory, J. A., Mayfield, S. P., & Nikolov, Z. L. (2014). Production and recovery of multimeric malaria antigen (Pfs 25) complexes from Chlamydomonas reinhardtii chloroplast. 247,
- Wilken, L. R., Ogle, E. T., Nikolov, Z. L., & Lohrmann, T. (2014). Corn protein & oil recovery after germ wet milling. American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers Annual International Meeting 2014, ASABE 2014. 2, 1501-1510.
- Wilken, L. R., Tran, M., Mayfield, S., & Nikolov, Z. L. (2012). Expression and recovery of immunotoxins from Chlamydomonas reinhardtii chloroplast. 243,
- Wilken, L. R., & Nikolov, Z. L. (2010). Commercial opportunities and challenges for protein products from corn. 1, 10-22.
- Ravi, Ayswarya (2019-08). EVALUATION OF MIXED-MODE CHROMATOGRAPHY RESINS FOR ISOLATION OF RECOMBINANT THERAPEUTIC PROTEINS. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Guo, Shengchun (2018-05). Bioprocess Development for Recombinant Therapeutic Protein Osteopontin from Escherichia Coli. (Master's Thesis)
- Johnson, Jecori Shana (2018-05). Selective Separation of Proteins Using Stimuli-Responsive Polymers in an Aqueous System. (Master's Thesis)