Nikolov's Bioseparations Lab conducts transformative research in bioprocess engineering aimed at the development of novel and cost-effective strategies for extraction and purification of recombinant and native biomolecules. Bioseparations Lab leverages scientific and engineering expertise of lab members to find solutions for a variety of bioprocessing and separations challenges that currently face plant and algal biotechnology. To guide early process development and identify constraints posed by biological system and final product lab members use process simulation. Past and current research projects directed by Dr. Nikolov include industrial protein products derived from rice, sugarcane, tobacco, Lemna minor, and microalgae.
- Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering, Iowa State University - (Ames, Iowa, United States) 1986
- M.S. in Chemical Engineering, Iowa State University - (Ames, Iowa, United States) 1983
- D.E. in Food Engineering, University of Novi Sad - (Novi Sad, Serbia) 1977
- Ravi, A., Foster, E. R., Perez, L. M., & Nikolov, Z. L. (2020). CAPTURE CHROMATOGRAPHY WITH MIXED-MODE RESINS: A CASE STUDY WITH RECOMBINANT HUMAN THIOREDOXIN FROM ESCHERICHIA COLI. J Chromatogr. 1625, 461327-461327.
- Soto-Sierra, L., Kulkarni, S., Woodard, S. L., & Nikolov, Z. L. (2020). Processing of permeabilized Chlorella vulgaris biomass into lutein and protein-rich products. Journal of Applied Phycology. 32(3), 1697-1707.
- Guo, S., Ravi, A., Mayfield, S., & Nikolov, Z. L. (2019). Exploring the separation power of mixed‐modal resins for purification of recombinant osteopontin from clarified Escherichia coli lysates. Biotechnology progress. 35(1), e2722-e2722.
- Soto-Sierra, L., Stoykova, P., & Nikolov, Z. L. (2018). Extraction and fractionation of microalgae-based protein products. Algal Research. 36, 175-192.
- Kulkarni, S., & Nikolov, Z. (2018). Process for selective extraction of pigments and functional proteins from Chlorella vulgaris. Algal Research. 35, 185-193.
- Wilken, L. R., & Nikolov, Z. L. (2016). Aqueous Fractionation of Dry-Milled Corn Germ for Food Protein Production. Nedović, V., Raspor, P., Lević, J., Tumbas Šaponjac, V., & Barbosa-Cánovas, G. V. (Eds.), Emerging and Traditional Technologies for Safe, Healthy and Quality Food. (pp. 443-461). Springer International Publishing.
- Nikolov, Z., & Woodard, S. L. (2014). Bioseparation: Proteins. Encyclopedia of Agricultural, Food, and Biological Engineering, Second Edition.
- Wilken, L. R., & Nikolov, Z. L. (2012). Downstream Processing of Transgenic Plant Systems: Protein Recovery and Purification Strategies. Molecular Farming in Plants: Recent Advances and Future Prospects. (pp. 217-257). Springer Netherlands.
- Nikolov, Z. L., Regan, J. T., Dickey, L. F., & Woodard, S. L. (2009). Purification of Antibodies From Transgenic Plants. Process Scale Purification of Antibodies. (pp. 387-406). John Wiley & Sons, Inc..
- Nikolov, L., Maheshwari, P., Hardwick, J. E., Murphy, P. A., & Johnson, L. A. (1992). Potential applications for supercritical carbon dioxide separations in soybean processing. Developments in Food Science. (pp. 595-616). Elsevier.
- Wilson, K., Munjal, N., Gregory, J. A., Mayfield, S. P., & Nikolov, Z. L. (2014). Production and recovery of multimeric malaria antigen (Pfs 25) complexes from Chlamydomonas reinhardtii chloroplast. ACS Photonics. 247,
- Wilken, L. R., Ogle, E. T., Nikolov, Z. L., & Lohrmann, T. (2014). Corn protein & oil recovery after germ wet milling. 2, 1501-1510.
- Wilken, L. R., Tran, M., Mayfield, S., & Nikolov, Z. L. (2012). Expression and recovery of immunotoxins from Chlamydomonas reinhardtii chloroplast. ACS Photonics. 243,
- Wilken, L. R., & Nikolov, Z. L. (2010). Commercial opportunities and challenges for protein products from corn. 1, 10-22.
- Barros, G., Woodard, S. L., & Nikolov, Z. L. (2010). Removal of phenolic compounds by adsorption on polymeric resins before protein purification. 2, 1259-1267.
- Use of Algae in the Production of Biofuels - Bulgaria awarded by USDA-Foreign Agricultural Service 2014 - 2015
- Ravi, Ayswarya (2019-08). EVALUATION OF MIXED-MODE CHROMATOGRAPHY RESINS FOR ISOLATION OF RECOMBINANT THERAPEUTIC PROTEINS. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Guo, Shengchun (2018-05). Bioprocess Development for Recombinant Therapeutic Protein Osteopontin from Escherichia Coli. (Master's Thesis)
- Johnson, Jecori Shana (2018-05). Selective Separation of Proteins Using Stimuli-Responsive Polymers in an Aqueous System. (Master's Thesis)