Dr. Conner's research emphasizes the integration of economics with ecology in the management of grazinglands and related resources. His work has dealt with such issues as how to select the optimal combination of wildlife/ livestock enterprises while considering both biological diversity and relative levels and variation in enterprise costs and prices. Much of his work has been directed toward the development of analytical methodologies which facilitate incorporating the impacts of variation inherent to range- related enterprises into management decisions. Dr. Conner also participates in an interdisciplinary team dedicated to the development of computerized decision support systems (DSS) for use by grazingland resource managers. The DSS are designed to assist resource managers in both strategic and tactical planning and provide a means of appropriately accounting for both economic and ecologic consequences of alternative management practices.
- Ph.D. in Agricultural Economics, Texas A&M University at Galveston - (Galveston, Texas, United States) 1970
- M.S. in Statistics, Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States) 1967
- B.S. in Agronomy, Texas A&M University at Galveston - (Galveston, Texas, United States) 1965
- Kreuter, U. P., Wolfe, D. W., Hays, K. B., & Conner, J. R. (2017). Conservation CreditsEvolution of a Market-Oriented Approach to Recovery of Species of Concern on Private Land. RANGELAND ECOLOGY & MANAGEMENT. 70(3), 264-272.
- Sorice, M. G., Conner, J. R., Kreuter, U. P., & Wilkins, R. N. (2012). Centrality of the Ranching Lifestyle and Attitudes Toward a Voluntary Incentive Program to Protect Endangered Species. RANGELAND ECOLOGY & MANAGEMENT. 65(2), 144-152.
- van Liew, D., Conner, J. R., Kreuter, U. P., & Teague, R. (2012). An economic comparison of prescribed extreme fire and alternative methods for managing invasive brush species in Texas: A modeling approach. Open Agriculture Journal. 6(1), 17-26.
- Sorice, M. G., Haider, W., Conner, J. R., & Ditton, R. B. (2011). Incentive Structure of and Private Landowner Participation in an Endangered Species Conservation Program. CONSERVATION BIOLOGY. 25(3), 587-596.
- Sorice, M. G., & Conner, J. R. (2010). Predicting private landowner intentions to enroll in an incentive program to protect endangered specie. HUMAN DIMENSIONS OF WILDLIFE. 15(2), 77-89.
- Conner, J. R. (2007). Economic aspects of Texas quails. Texas quails: Ecology and management. (pp. 313-326).
- Conner, J. R. (2004). Brush management economic and financial considerations. Brush Management: Past, Present, Future. (pp. 213-226).
- HAMILTON, W. T., WELCH, T. G., MYRICK, B. R., LYONS, B. G., STUTH, J. W., & CONNER, J. R. (1993). EXSEL - EXPERT-SYSTEM FOR BRUSH AND WEED-CONTROL TECHNOLOGY SELECTION. 93(4), 391-398.
- VANTASSELL, L. W., CONNER, J. R., & RICHARDSON, J. R. (1990). MODELING CYCLICAL CATTLE PRICES IN A MONTE-CARLO SETTING. American Journal of Agricultural Economics. 72(5), 1351-1351.
- STUTH, J. W., CONNER, J. R., HAMILTON, W. T., RIEGEL, D. A., LYONS, B. G., MYRICK, B. R., & COUCH, M. J. (1990). RSPM - A RESOURCE SYSTEMS PLANNING-MODEL FOR INTEGRATED RESOURCE-MANAGEMENT. J Biogeogr. 17(4-5), 531-540.
- RIECHERS, R. K., CONNER, J. R., LEE, J. G., & HEITSCHMIDT, R. K. (1988). EVALUATING ALTERNATIVE STOCKING RATE TACTICS - A STOCHASTIC-DOMINANCE APPROACH. American Journal of Agricultural Economics. 70(5), 1186-1186.
- VANTASSELL, L. W., RICHARDSON, J. W., & CONNER, J. R. (1987). INCORPORATING ENVIRONMENTAL UNCERTAINTIES IN RANCH SIMULATION. American Journal of Agricultural Economics. 69(5), 1079-1079.
- Gao, Weiqian (2016-12). Examining the Impact of Grazing Pressure and Severe Winter Disasters on Livestock Population Dynamics in Mongolian Rangeland. (Master's Thesis)
- Huff, Juanita Katheryn (2016-08). Climate Change and Recreation: Impacts of Climate Change on Landscape Services Associated with Tourism in Big Bend National Park. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Leal, Ligaya Rubas (2015-05). Application of Remote Sensing Technology and Ecological Modeling of Forest Carbon Stocks in Mt. Apo Natural Park, Philippines. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Sultenfuss, Sherry D. (2009-05). Changing Patterns of Rangeland Use: Functional Characteristics of the Economics and Operations of Fee Hunting Enterprises in Central and South Texas. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Van Liew, Dustin Bruce (2007-08). Economic feasibility and risk of using prescribed extreme fire as an invasive brush management tool in Texas. (Master's Thesis)