Dr. Bessler's research is in the area of applied decision analysis, especially as it contributes to understanding agricultural price uncertainty. He teaches graduate courses in research methodology and applied time series analysis.
education and training
- Ph.D. in Agricultural Economics, University of California, Davis - (Davis, California, United States) 1977
- M.S. in Agricultural Economics, University of Arizona - (Tucson, Arizona, United States) 1973
- B.S. in Economics, University of Arizona - (Tucson, Arizona, United States) 1971
- Kibriya, S., Bessler, D., & Price, E. (2019). Linkages between poverty and income inequality of urban–rural sector: a time series analysis of India’s urban-based aspirations from 1951 to 1994. 26(6), 1-8.
- Lu, R., Bessler, D. A., & Leatham, D. J. (2018). The transmission of liquidity shocks via China's segmented money market: Evidence from recent market events. 57, 110-126.
- Chen, J., Kibriya, S., Bessler, D., & Price, E. (2018). The relationship between conflict events and commodity prices in Sudan. 40(4), 663-684.
- Huang, W., Lai, P., & Bessler, D. A. (2018). On the changing structure among Chinese equity markets: Hong Kong, Shanghai, and Shenzhen. 264(3), 1020-1032.
- Fang, L. u., & Bessler, D. A. (2017). Is it China that leads the Asian stock market contagion in 2015?. 25(11), 1-6.
- Bessler, D. A., McCarl, B. A., Wu, X., & Alan Love, H (2014). Quantitative Methods in Agricultural Economics. Encyclopedia of Agriculture and Food Systems. 1-10. Elsevier.
- Welch, J. M., Shafer, C. E., & Bessler, D. A (2014). Markets and Prices. Encyclopedia of Agriculture and Food Systems. 186-192. Elsevier.
- Akleman, D. G., Bessler, D. A., & Burton, D. M (1999). Modeling corn exports and exchange rates with directed graphs and statistical loss functions. Cooper, G. F., & Glymour, C. (Eds.), Computation, Causation, and Discovery. 497-520. AAAI Press.
- Bessler, D. A., Dorfman, J. H., Holt, M. T., & LaFrance, J. T. (2010). Econometric Developments in Agricultural and Resource Economics: The First 100 Years. 92(2), 571-589.
- Dharmasena, S., Jr, C. O., & Bessler, D. A (2008). "Probability Evaluation Through Calibration, Resolution, Brier Score, and Yates-Partition: An Application to Qualitative Choice Models.". JOURNAL OF AGRICULTURAL AND RESOURCE ECONOMICS. 33(3), 504-504.
- Yu, T. H., Bessler, D. A., & Fuller, S. W. (2006). The influence of transportation rates on grain prices: A dynamic analysis. 1, 846-863.
- Yu, T. H., Fuller, S. W., & Bessler, D. A. (2003). Lock congestion and its impact on grain barge rates on the upper Mississippi River.. 28(3), 655-655.
- Reddy, A. R., Anderson, C. G., Bessler, D. A., & Shafer, C. E. (1999). The association between nearby cotton futures price and net bale commitments of speculative traders. 294-298.
awards and honors
recent teaching activities
chaired theses and dissertations
- Zhang, Yu (2017-08). Three Essays on Civil Conflict. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Lu, Ruoxi (2017-08). Three Essays on China's Interbank Money Market: Its Interactions with the Central Bank, the Exchange-based Money Market and the Offshore Renminbi Money Market. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Sukcharoen, Kunlapath (2017-08). Applications of Vine Copulas in Commodity Risk Management and Price Analysis. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Fang, Lu (2017-05). Three Essays on Time Series Analysis of Chinese Financial Markets. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Paukett, Michelle Renee (2016-12). Revenue Impacts of the 2015 Avian Influenza Virus Outbreak on United States Table Egg Wholesalers. (Master's Thesis)
Texas A&M University; Agricultural Economics; 2124 TAMU
College Station, TX 77843-2124