Dr. Ruyle's research program focuses on the intersection of conservation, natural resources, gender, and development, particularly focusing on conflict regions. She has created multiple high-impact student engagement activities, emphasizing experiential learning and multi-disciplinary approaches to problem solving. She works across departments, colleges, and universities to create interdisciplinary teams and brings together students, faculty, and local communities to solve problems. She has created opportunities to take students to DC, Nepal, the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), Botswana, Honduras, and Peru.
- Ph.D. in Ecology, University of Georgia - (Athens, Georgia, United States) 2012
- B.S. in Interdisciplinary Studies; Double concentration - Ecology and Biology, Montana State University-Northern - (Havre, Montana, United States) 1994
- Snyder, B. F., & Ruyle, L. E. (2020). A just compensation for leaving it in the ground: Climate easements and oil development. Environmental Science & Policy. 181-188.
- Matarrita-Cascante, D., Sene-Harper, A., & Ruyle, L. (2019). A holistic framework for participatory conservation approaches. International Journal of Sustainable Development & World Ecology. 26(6), 484-494.
- McCallen, E. B., Gaines, K. F., Novak, J. M., Ruyle, L. E., Stephens, W. L., Lawrence Bryan, A., Blas, S. A., & Serfass, T. L (2018). The development and use of a spatially explicit model for river otters to evaluate environmental hazards: a case study on the Department of Energy's Savannah River Site.. Environ Monit Assess. 190(7), 374.
- Snyder, B. F., & Ruyle, L. E (2017). The abolition of war as a goal of environmental policy.. Sci Total Environ. 605-606, 347-356.
- Barlow, S., Chen, Z., Finnegan, G., Furaha, B. P., Pichanick, B., Stadler, C., ... Gawande, K (2015). Prevalence of child malnutrition in North Kivu, DRC: Evidence from Bunyuka Parish. The Development Journal of the South. 1(1), 24-42.
- Byakagaba, P., Twesigye, B., & Ruyle, L. E. (2018). Dialectics of conservation, extractives, and Ugandas land rush. Sandbrook, C., Cavanagh, C. J., & Tumuslime, D. M. (Eds.), Conservation and Development in Uganda. 226-246. Routledge.
- Ruyle, L. E. (2018). The Impacts of Conflict on Biodiversity in the Anthropocene. Dellasala, D. A., & Goldstein, M. I. (Eds.), Encyclopedia of the Anthropocene. 361-368. Elsevier.
- Ruyle, L. E., Boehm, R., & Lagoudas, M. (2016). Challenge-driven social entrepreneurship and high impact student engagement. 2016 IEEE Global Humanitarian Technology Conference (GHTC), 2016 IEEE Global Humanitarian Technology Conference (GHTC). 292-295.
- Blackburn, C., Natsios, A., & Ruyle, L (2020). What happens when COVID-19 and influenza collide? Can hospitals handle the strain?. - An article submitted to The Conversation
- Blackburn, C., & Ruyle, L (2020). How leadership in various countries has affected COVID-19 response effectiveness.
- Blackburn, C. C., Natsios, A., Parker, G. W., & Ruyle, L. (2020). The silent threat of the coronavirus: Americas dependence on Chinese pharmaceuticals.
- Shaw, J., & Ruyle, L. (2019). Opinion: It's time to talk about the Ebola gold rush.
- Baker, E., Ruyle, L., & Savio, G. (2017). Powering Development: Mini Hydroelectrification in North Kivu, Democratic Republic of the Congo.
- Commentary: What happens when COVID-19 and influenza collide? Can hospitals handle the strain? Fort Worth Business August 21, 2020
- Four Pandemic Preparedness Experts Call for 9/11-like Commission Send2Press July 21, 2020
- Texas A&M professors: The silent threat of the coronavirus The Philadelphia Tribune February 14, 2020