Dr. Ruyle's research program focuses on the intersection of conservation, natural resources, gender, and development, particularly focusing on conflict regions. She has created multiple high-impact student engagement activities, emphasizing experiential learning and multi-disciplinary approaches to problem solving. She works across departments, colleges, and universities to create interdisciplinary teams and brings together students, faculty, and local communities to solve problems. She has created opportunities to take students to DC, Nepal, the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), Botswana, Honduras, and Peru.
- Ph.D. in Ecology, University of Georgia - (Athens, Georgia, United States) 2012
- B.S. in Interdisciplinary Studies; Double concentration - Ecology and Biology, Montana State University-Northern - (Havre, Montana, United States) 1994
- Snyder, B. F., & Ruyle, L. E. (2020). A just compensation for leaving it in the ground: Climate easements and oil development. Environmental Science & Policy. 112, 181-188.
- Matarrita-Cascante, D., Sene-Harper, A., & Ruyle, L. (2019). A holistic framework for participatory conservation approaches. International Journal of Sustainable Development & World Ecology. 26(6), 1-11.
- McCallen, E. B., Gaines, K. F., Novak, J. M., Ruyle, L. E., Stephens, W. L., Lawrence Bryan, A., Blas, S. A., & Serfass, T. L. (2018). The development and use of a spatially explicit model for river otters to evaluate environmental hazards: a case study on the Department of Energy’s Savannah River Site. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment. 190(7), 374.
- Snyder, B. F., & Ruyle, L. E. (2017). The abolition of war as a goal of environmental policy. SCIENCE OF THE TOTAL ENVIRONMENT. 605, 347-356.
- Barlow, S., Chen, Z., Finnegan, G., Furaha, B. P., Pichanick, B., Stadler, C., ... Gawande, K. (2015). Prevalence of child malnutrition in North Kivu, DRC: Evidence from Bunyuka Parish. 1(1), 24-42.
- Byakagaba, P., Twesigye, B., & Ruyle, L. E. (2018). Dialectics of conservation, extractives, and Uganda’s ‘land rush’. Sandbrook, C., Cavanagh, C. J., & Tumuslime, D. M. (Eds.), Conservation and Development in Uganda. (pp. 226-246). Routledge.
- Ruyle, L. E. (2018). The Impacts of Conflict on Biodiversity in the Anthropocene. Dellasala, D. A., & Goldstein, M. I. (Eds.), Encyclopedia of the Anthropocene. (pp. 361-368). Elsevier.
- Ruyle, L. E., Boehm, R., & Lagoudas, M. (2016). Challenge-Driven Social Entrepreneurship and High Impact Student Engagement. PROCEEDINGS OF THE SIXTH IEEE GLOBAL HUMANITARIAN TECHNOLOGY CONFERENCE GHTC 2016. 292-295.
- Blackburn, C., Natsios, A., & Ruyle, L. (2020). What happens when COVID-19 and influenza collide? Can hospitals handle the strain?. - An article submitted to The Conversation
- Blackburn, C., & Ruyle, L. (2020). How leadership in various countries has affected COVID-19 response effectiveness.
- Blackburn, C. C., Natsios, A., Parker, G. W., & Ruyle, L. (2020). The silent threat of the coronavirus: America’s dependence on Chinese pharmaceuticals.
- Shaw, J., & Ruyle, L. (2019). Opinion: It's time to talk about the Ebola gold rush.
- Baker, E., Ruyle, L., & Savio, G. (2017). Powering Development: Mini Hydroelectrification in North Kivu, Democratic Republic of the Congo.