- Professor, Extension Agricultural Extension Specialist - Agricultural Water Management, Extension Program Leader and Associate Department Head, Biological and Agricultural Engineering, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, College of Engineering
- Agricultural Extension Specialist, Lubbock Research and Extension Center, Texas A&M AgriLIFE Extension, Texas A&M AgriLife Research
The Texas High Plains is the most intensively irrigated region of the state, with a notably high rate of adoption of efficient advanced irrigation technologies, driven by water limited conditions and supported by a well-developed and collaborative infrastructure of applied research, extension/ technology transfer, irrigation industry and progressive producers. High pumping costs, limited and declining well capacities, increasing localized water quality concerns, availability of new tools and technologies, and other technical, economic and regulatory issues present challenges and opportunities in agricultural irrigation and water management.
I work to promote water conservation and efficient water use through maximizing impact of applied research programs and information resources. Objectives of my programs are to 1) promote appropriate application of technologies, irrigation management tools and practices; 2) improve quality and value of agricultural research by improving understanding of irrigation technologies, BMPs and related crop water management concepts; and 3) provide relevant educational resources and opportunities for traditional and emerging audiences.
My background in crop simulation modeling (including soil water dynamics modeling) and utilization of agricultural and industrial waste materials (and effects on soil water dynamics) is useful in my current research programs. I develop/adapt technologies and practices that support water conservation and mitigate impacts of limited (and declining) water quantity and quality to promote sustainability and profitability of water-limited agricultural production. Accomplishments include advanced integrated irrigation scheduling and control technologies; improved irrigation management strategies for crop production under water-limited conditions; and practical evapotranspiration (ET) based irrigation scheduling tools supporting research programs, on-farm irrigation management and water resources management.
- Ph.D. in Agricultural and Biological Engineering, Mississippi State University - (Starkville, Mississippi, United States) 1993
- M.S. in Agricultural Engineering, Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States) 1989
- B.S. in Agricultural Engineering, Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States) 1987
- Taghvaeian, S., Andales, A. A., Allen, L. N., Kisekka, I., O’Shaughnessy, S. A., Porter, D. O., ... Aguilar, J. (2020). Irrigation Scheduling for Agriculture in the United States: The Progress Made and the Path Forward. Transactions of the ASABE. 63(5), 1603-1618.
- Porter, D. O., Irmak, S., Lamm, F., Marek, T., & Rein, B. (2020). Challenges and Opportunities for Education in Irrigation Engineering. Transactions of the ASABE. 63(5), 1289-1294.
- Chen, Y., Marek, G. W., Marek, T. H., Porter, D. O., Moorhead, J. E., Heflin, K. R., Brauer, D. K., & Srinivasan, R. (2020). Watershed scale evaluation of an improved SWAT auto-irrigation function. Environmental Modelling & Software. 131, 104789-104789.
- Barnes, E. M., Campbell, B. T., Vellidis, G., Porter, W., Payero, J., Leib, B., ... Thorp, K. (2020). Forty Years of Increasing Cotton’s Water Productivity and Why the Trend Will Continue. APPLIED ENGINEERING IN AGRICULTURE. 36(4), 457-478.
- Marek, T. H., Porter, D., Howell, T. A., Marek, G. W., & Brauer, D. (2020). The Impact and Value of Accurate Evapotranspiration Networks in Texas High Plains Production Agriculture. APPLIED ENGINEERING IN AGRICULTURE. 36(4), 451-455.
- Yang, Y., Sun, L., Hu, J., Porter, D., Marek, T., & Hillyer, C. (2017). A Reliable Soil Moisture Sensing Methodology for Agricultural Irrigation. 2017 15TH IEEE INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM ON PARALLEL AND DISTRIBUTED PROCESSING WITH APPLICATIONS AND 2017 16TH IEEE INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON UBIQUITOUS COMPUTING AND COMMUNICATIONS (ISPA/IUCC 2017). 1342-1349.
- Sun, L., Yang, Y., Hu, J., Porter, D., Marek, T., & Hillyer, C. (2017). Reinforcement Learning Control for Water-Efficient Agricultural Irrigation. 2017 15TH IEEE INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM ON PARALLEL AND DISTRIBUTED PROCESSING WITH APPLICATIONS AND 2017 16TH IEEE INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON UBIQUITOUS COMPUTING AND COMMUNICATIONS (ISPA/IUCC 2017). 1334-1341.
- Bordovsky, J. P., Mustian, J. T., & Porter, D. O. (2016). Investigating SDI Design, Installation, and Management Practices for Improved Row Crop Production in the Texas South Plains: A 15 Year Review of Research.
- Gowda, P. H., Howell, T. A., Chávez, J. L., Paul, G., Moorhead, J. E., Holman, D., ... Brauer, D. K. (2015). A decade of remote sensing and evapotranspiration research at USDA-ARS Conservation and Production Research Laboratory. 98-114.
- Porter, D. O., Rogers, D., Brauer, D., Marek, T. H., Gowda, P. H., Lamm, F., Bordovsky, J., & Howell, T. A. (2015). Promoting efficient water management through effective outreach education in the High Plains and beyond: Role of the Ogallala Aquifer Program. 401-411.