- Assistant Director, Center for Systematic Reviews and Research Syntheses, University Libraries
- Member, Engineering Education Research Taskforce, College of Engineering
- Director, Office of Scholarly Communications and Professor, University Libraries, Texas A&M University
- Professor, Geology and Geophysics, College of Geosciences
I currently serve as the Director of the Office of Scholarly Communications in the Sterling C. Evans library At Texas A&M University. As Director of OSC, I am responsible for strengthening the Library's efforts in scholarly communications and open access through engagement and collaboration with the faculty across campus at Texas A&M University. In addition, we are developing library services that support interdisciplinary research teams and enhance research translation and the societal impact of Texas A&M's research.
My scientific research explored questions concerning biogeochemical processes that mediate the interactions between human society and ecosystems, including the fate and bioavailability of contaminants, natural and human perturbations of nutrient and organic carbon, and human impacts on ecosystem functioning.
In addition, I actively pursuing research that characterizes human understanding of complex earth systems; the professional development of future faculty and teachers; and the design of tertiary educational programs that promote learning for all students, develop synergy between educational and research activities, and address major societal issues. I have served as the Associate Director of Geosciences in the NSF-supported Information Technology in Science (ITS) Center for Learning and Teaching at Texas A&M University, the principal investigator of the NSF Teacher Professional Continuum program entitled Professional Learning Community Model for Alternative Pathways in Teaching Science and Mathematics, PLC-MAP, and co-PI of the NSF-sponsored CIRTL Network - Shaping, Connecting, and Supporting the Future National STEM Faculty.
- Ph.D. in Soil Science, University of California, Riverside - (Riverside, California, United States) 1992
- M.S. in Soil Science, University of California, Riverside - (Riverside, California, United States) 1988
- B.A. in Chemistry, Colgate University - (Hamilton, New York, United States) 1982
- Harvey, O. R., Leonce, B. C., & Herbert, B. E. (2018). A Flow Adsorption Microcalorimetry-Logistic Modeling Approach for Assessing Heterogeneity of Brønsted-Type Surfaces: Application to Pyrogenic Organic Materials. Environmental Science and Technology. 52(11), 6167-6176.
- Holder, L. N., Scherer, H. H., & Herbert, B. E. (2017). Student Learning of Complex Earth Systems: A Model to Guide Development of Student Expertise in Problem-Solving. Journal of Geoscience Education. 65(4), 490-505.
- Scherer, H. H., Holder, L., & Herbert, B. (2017). Student Learning of Complex Earth Systems: Conceptual Frameworks of Earth Systems and Instructional Design. Journal of Geoscience Education. 65(4), 473-489.
- Cucalon, L. G., Bhasin, A., Kassem, E., Little, D., Herbert, B. E., & Masad, E. (2017). Physicochemical Characterization of Binder–Aggregate Adhesion Varying with Temperature and Moisture. Journal of Transportation Engineering Part B Pavements. 143(3), 04017007-04017007.
- Herbert, B. (2017). The Faculty Perspective on Open Educational Resources as a Means to Increase Access to Higher Education. 93(4), 11-12.
- Herbert, B., Little, D., Nair, S., & Markley, C. (2009). Site-Specific Risk Assessment of Sulfate Induced Heave in Lime-Stabilized Clay Soils. Iskander, M., Laefer, D. F., & Hussein, M. H. (Eds.), Contemporary Topics in Ground Modification, Problem Soils, and Geo-support. Selected Papers from the 2009 International Foundation Congress and Equipment Expo, March 15-19, 2009, Orlando, Florida. (pp. 558-565). American Society of Civil Engineers.
- Herbert, B. E., & Bertsch, P. M. (1995). Characterization of dissolved and colloidal organic matter in soil solution: a review. McFee, W. W., & Kelly, J. M. (Eds.), Carbon Forms and Functions in Forest Soils. (pp. 63-88). Soil Science Society of America.
- Lee, D. J., Mutya, K., Herbert, B. E., & Mejia, E. V. (2019). Exploring Scholarly Impact Metrics in Receipt of Highly Prestigious Awards. ADVANCES IN NEURAL NETWORKS - ISNN 2014. 11420, 147-153.
- Sandoval, M., Natarajarathinam, M., Holder, L., McDougal, M., Campbell, M., & Herbert, B. (2017). Engagement in Practice: Building service focused multidisciplinary groups to develop adaptable solutions. 2012 ASEE ANNUAL CONFERENCE. 2017-June,
- Holder, L. N., Scherer, H. H., & Herbert, B. (2017). STUDENT LEARNING OF COMPLEX EARTH SYSTEMS: A MODEL TO GUIDE DEVELOPMENT OF STUDENT EXPERTISE IN PROBLEM SOLVING. Abstracts with programs (Geological Society of America).
- Harvey, O. R., Herbert, B. E., Rhue, R. D., & Kuo, L. (2010). Metal interactions at the biochar-water interface: Energetics and composition-sorption relationship elucidated by flow adsorption micro-calorimetry. ACS National Meeting Book of Abstracts. 240,
- Little, D., Herbert, B., & Kunagalli, S. (2005). Ettringite Formation in Lime-Treated Soils: Establishing Thermodynamic Foundations for Engineering Practice. Transportation Research Record: Journal of the Transportation Research Board. 1936(1936), 51-59.
Institutional Repository Documents33
- Lowe, D. B., Ho, J., Lee, D. J., & Herbert, B. E. (2020). Integrating VIVO and the Campus Repository: Representing Curated Teaching Materials in Scholarly Profiles of Faculty in Different Career Tracks.
- Herbert, B., Lee, D. J., & Mejia, E. (2020). Research Intelligence and the VIVO Platform: A Case Study from Texas A&M University and a Proposal for the VIVO Community.
- McGeachin, R., & Herbert, B. (2019). OAK Fund Annual Report: 2018-2019.
- Welling, W. S., Lee, D. J., Hahn, D., Savell, J., Day, K. A., Mejia, E., & Herbert, B. E. (2019). Scholars@TAMU Texas A&M University Libraries’.
- Herbert, B. E., Lee, D. J., Hahn, D., & Mejia, E. (2019). Using Campus Needs Involving Tenure & Promotion, Interdisciplinary Collaborations, and Institutional Research to Drive the Evolution of VIVO at Texas A&M University.
- Hammond, T., Watson, K., Brumbelow, K., Fields, S., Shryock, K., Chamberland, J., ... Herbert, B. (2020). A Survey to Measure the Effects of Forced Transition to 100% Online Learning on Community Sharing, Feelings of Social Isolation, Equity, Resilience, and Learning Content During the COVID-19 Pandemic.
- Gardiner, Nathan Thomas (2019-05). Characterizing the Evolution Of Fire Induced Hydrophobicity In the Post-Fire And Evaluation Of Ash and Char as Potential Sources of Hydrophobicity. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Maulana, Ivan (2016-05). Basin Geochemical Evolution of the Eagle Ford and Effects on Trace Element Release. (Master's Thesis)
- McBee, Jayme M (2014-05). Biogeochemistry of Isotopically-distinct Sources of Lead in a Former WWII Aerial Gunnery Range. (Master's Thesis)
- McClure, Roberta 1981- (2012-12). Mineralogy and Geochemistry of Pb, Zn and Ag Mine Tailings Originating From Carbonate-Rich Deposits. (Master's Thesis)
- Miller, Heather (2012-08). The Development and Use of Conceptual Models of Complex Earth Systems for Environmental Managment and Earth Science Education. (Doctoral Dissertation)