I currently serve as the Director of the Office of Scholarly Communications in the Sterling C. Evans library At Texas A&M University. As Director of OSC, I am responsible for strengthening the Library's efforts in scholarly communications and open access through engagement and collaboration with the faculty across campus at Texas A&M University. In addition, we are developing library services that support interdisciplinary research teams and enhance research translation and the societal impact of Texas A&M's research.
My scientific research explored questions concerning biogeochemical processes that mediate the interactions between human society and ecosystems, including the fate and bioavailability of contaminants, natural and human perturbations of nutrient and organic carbon, and human impacts on ecosystem functioning.
In addition, I actively pursuing research that characterizes human understanding of complex earth systems; the professional development of future faculty and teachers; and the design of tertiary educational programs that promote learning for all students, develop synergy between educational and research activities, and address major societal issues. I have served as the Associate Director of Geosciences in the NSF-supported Information Technology in Science (ITS) Center for Learning and Teaching at Texas A&M University, the principal investigator of the NSF Teacher Professional Continuum program entitled Professional Learning Community Model for Alternative Pathways in Teaching Science and Mathematics, PLC-MAP, and co-PI of the NSF-sponsored CIRTL Network - Shaping, Connecting, and Supporting the Future National STEM Faculty.
- Ph.D. in Soil Science, University of California, Riverside - (Riverside, California, United States) 1992
- M.S. in Soil Science, University of California, Riverside - (Riverside, California, United States) 1988
- B.A. in Chemistry, Colgate University - (Hamilton, New York, United States) 1982
- Harvey, O. R., Leonce, B. C., & Herbert, B. E. (2018). A Flow Adsorption Microcalorimetry-Logistic Modeling Approach for Assessing Heterogeneity of Bronsted-Type Surfaces: Application to Pyrogenic Organic Materials. Environmental science & technology. 52(11), 6167-6176.
- Cucalon, L. G., Bhasin, A., Kassem, E., Little, D., Herbert, B. E., & Masad, E. (2017). Physicochemical Characterization of Binder-Aggregate Adhesion Varying with Temperature and Moisture. Journal of Transportation Engineering, Part B: Pavements. 143(3), 04017007-04017007.
- Holder, L. N., Scherer, H. H., & Herbert, B. E. (2017). Student learning of complex earth systems: A model to guide development of student expertise in problem-solving. Journal of Geoscience Education. 65(4), 490-505.
- Scherer, H. H., Holder, L., & Herbert, B. (2017). Student learning of complex earth systems: Conceptual frameworks of earth systems and instructional design. Journal of Geoscience Education. 65(4), 473-489.
- Miller, C., Little, D. N., Bhasin, A., Gardner, N., & Herbert, B. (2012). Surface Energy Characteristics and Impact of Natural Minerals on Aggregate-Bitumen Bond Strengths and Asphalt Mixture Durability. CONSTRUCTION 2006. 2267(2267), 45-55.
- Herbert, B., Little, D., Nair, S., & Markley, C. (2009). Site-Specific Risk Assessment of Sulfate Induced Heave in Lime-Stabilized Clay Soils. Iskander, M., Laefer, D. F., & Hussein, M. H. (Eds.), Contemporary Topics in Ground Modification, Problem Soils, and Geo-support. Selected Papers from the 2009 International Foundation Congress and Equipment Expo, March 15-19, 2009, Orlando, Florida. (pp. 558-565). American Society of Civil Engineers.
- HERBERT, B. E., & BERTSCH, P. M. (1995). Characterization of dissolved and colloidal organic matter in soil solution: a review. McFee, W. W., & Kelly, J. M. (Eds.), Carbon Forms and Functions in Forest Soils. (pp. 63-88). Soil Science Society of America.
- Lee, D. J., Mutya, K., Herbert, B. E., & Mejia, E. V. (2019). Exploring Scholarly Impact Metrics in Receipt of Highly Prestigious Awards. ADVANCED DATA MINING AND APPLICATIONS, PROCEEDINGS. 11420 LNCS, 147-153.
- Sandoval, M., Natarajarathinam, M., Holder, L. N., McDougal, M. K., Campbell, M. E., & Herbert, B. E. (2017). Engagement in practice: Building service focused multidisciplinary groups to develop adaptable solutions. 2012 ASEE ANNUAL CONFERENCE. 2017-June,
- Harvey, O. R., Herbert, B. E., Rhue, R. D., & Kuo, L. (2010). Metal interactions at the biochar-water interface: Energetics and composition-sorption relationship elucidated by flow adsorption micro-calorimetry. ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY. 240,
- Little, D. N., Herbert, B., Kunagalli, S. N., & TRB, .. (2005). Ettringite formation in lime-treated soils - Establishing thermodynamic foundations for engineering practice. CONSTRUCTION 2006. 1936(1936), 51-59.
- Herbert, B. E. (2004). Cation-pi bonding: A new perspective on the sorption of polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons to hydrated mineral surfaces. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta. 68(11), A161-A161.
Institutional Repository Documents29
- Herbert, B. E., Lee, D. J., Hahn, D., & Mejia, E. (2019). Using Campus Needs Involving Tenure & Promotion, Interdisciplinary Collaborations, and Institutional Research to Drive the Evolution of VIVO at Texas A&M University.
- Hetland, R., Staack, D., & Herbert, B. (2018). An Open Access Policy at Texas A&M University.
- Lee, D. J., Herbert, B., Mejia, E., Hahn, D., & Bolton, M. (2018). Characterizing College-level Research Strengths Using Data from a Research Information Management System.
- Herbert, B. E., Hartnett, E., Hubbard, D. E., & Dabrowski, A. J. (2018). OAK Fund Annual Report: 2015-2016.
- Herbert, B. E., McGeachin, R., Hubbard, D. E., & Dabrowski, A. J. (2018). OAK Fund Annual Report: 2016-2017.
- Gardiner, Nathan Thomas (2019-05). Characterizing the Evolution Of Fire Induced Hydrophobicity In the Post-Fire And Evaluation Of Ash and Char as Potential Sources of Hydrophobicity. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Maulana, Ivan (2016-05). Basin Geochemical Evolution of the Eagle Ford and Effects on Trace Element Release. (Master's Thesis)
- McBee, Jayme M (2014-05). Biogeochemistry of Isotopically-distinct Sources of Lead in a Former WWII Aerial Gunnery Range. (Master's Thesis)
- McClure, Roberta 1981- (2012-12). Mineralogy and Geochemistry of Pb, Zn and Ag Mine Tailings Originating From Carbonate-Rich Deposits. (Master's Thesis)
- Miller, Heather (2012-08). The Development and Use of Conceptual Models of Complex Earth Systems for Environmental Managment and Earth Science Education. (Doctoral Dissertation)