Alternative developmental fates are often determined by small differences in the concentrations of signaling molecules. In many cases, cells respond to these signals within narrowly defined temporal windows and are unresponsive to the same signal molecules at other times in development. A number of aspects of Drosophila sex determination make it an ideal experimental system to study how strict temporal controls and small quantitative differences in protein concentration can elicit different developmental fates.
- University of California, Berkeley - (Berkeley, California, United States), Postdoctoral Training 1994
- Princeton University - (Princeton, New Jersey, United States), Postdoctoral Training 1990
- Ph.D. in Bacteriology, University of Wisconsin - Madison - (Madison, Wisconsin, United States) 1989
- B.S. in Environmental Toxicology, University of California, Davis - (Davis, California, United States) 1981
- Mateos, M., Silva, N. O., Ramirez, P., Higareda-Alvear, V. M., Aramayo, R., & Erickson, J. W. (2019). Effect of heritable symbionts on maternally-derived embryo transcripts. SCIENTIFIC REPORTS. 9(1), 8847.
- Erickson, J. W. (2016). Primary Sex Determination in Drosophila melanogaster Does Not Rely on the Male-Specific Lethal Complex. GENETICS. 202(2), 541-+.
- Salz, H. K., & Erickson, J. W. (2010). Sex determination in Drosophila The view from the top. FLY. 4(1), 60-70.
- Gonzalez, A. N., Lu, H., & Erickson, J. W. (2008). A shared enhancer controls a temporal switch between promoters during Drosophila primary sex determination. PROCEEDINGS OF THE NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA-BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES. 105(47), 18436-18441.
- Lu, H., Kozhina, E., Mahadevaraju, S., Yang, D., Avila, F. W., & Erickson, J. W. (2008). Maternal Groucho and bHLH repressors amplify the dose-sensitive X chromosome signal in Drosophila sex determination. DEVELOPMENTAL BIOLOGY. 323(2), 248-260.
- Carol A. Gross, .., David B. Straus, .., James W. Erickson, .., & Takashi Yura, .. (1990). The Function and Regulation of Heat Shock Proteins in Escherichia coli. Morimoto, R. I., Tissieres, A., & Georgopoulos, C. (Eds.), Stress Proteins in Biology and Medicine. (pp. 167-189). Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Press.
- Gross, C., Cowing, D., Erickson, J., Grossman, A., Straus, D., Walter, W., & Zhou, Y. (1987). Regulation of the Heat-Shock Response in Escherichia coli. Poste, G., & Crooke, S. T. (Eds.), New Frontiers in the Study of Gene Functions. (pp. 21-32). Springer Us.
- Gross, C. A., Cowing, D. W., & Erickson, J. W. (1987). The Heat Shock Response in Escherichia coli. Renzikoff, W. S., Burgess, R. R., Dahlberg, J. E., Gross, C. A., Record, M. T., & Wickens, M. P. (Eds.), RNA polymerase and the regulation of transcription proceedings of the Sixteenth Steenbock Symposium held July 13th through July 17th, 1986, at the University of Wisconsin-Madison, U.S.A.. (pp. 151-157). Elsevier Publishing Company.
- Rajendren, Jayashre (2017-12). A TRANSGENIC MODEL FOR IN VIVO GENETIC ANALYSIS: CHARACTERIZING THE TRANSIENTLY-ACTING PROMOTER SWITCH THAT CONTROLS DROSOPHILA SEX DETERMINATION. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Mahadevaraju, Sharvani (2015-08). X-Signal amplification by Runt mediated antagonism of Groucho in Drosophila. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Silva, Pinnaduwage O (2013-12). Maternally Inherited Endosymbiotic Bacteria Of Drosophila : Spiroplasma and Wolbachia. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Gonzalez Rojos, Alejandra Noemi (2012-05). Somatic Sex Determination in D. melanogaster: Insights in the Establishment to Maintenance Transition. (Doctoral Dissertation)