education and training
- Ph.D. in Interdisciplinary Engineering, Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States) 1992
- B.S. in Bioengineering, Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States) 1990
- M.S. in Industrial Engineering, Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States)
- Network, S. (2013). Letter to the Editor: Standardized use of the terms “sedentary” and “sedentary behaviours”. Mental Health and Physical Activity. 6(1), 55-56.
- Benden, M. E., Miller, K., Wilke, E., & Ibarra, E. (2012). A New Method for Selecting the Best Design. Ergonomics in Design The Quarterly of Human Factors Applications. 20(1), 11-17.
- Benden, M. E. (2012). Book Review Birgitta Adolfsson and Marilynn S. Arnold. 2012. Behavioral Approaches to Treating Obesity, 2nd edition. Alexandria, VA: American Diabetes Association. $34.95. pp. 231. Paperback. ISBN: 978‐1‐58040‐463‐1.. World Medical & Health Policy. 4(3-4), 103-104.
- Network, S. (2012). Letter to the Editor: Standardized use of the terms “sedentary” and “sedentary behaviours”. Applied Physiology Nutrition and Metabolism. 37(3), 540-542.
- Smith, M. L., Benden, M. E., & Lee, C. (2012). Promoting active communities in a culture of distracted driving.. Prev Chronic Dis. 9(1), e31.
- Benden, M. E., Smith, M. L., Henry, M., & Congleton, J. J. (2012). Reviewing Four Decades of Cell Phone Use while Driving Literature (1970-2010): An Emphasis on Texting Behaviors, Parental Perceptions, and Methods of Control. Health Behaviour and Public Health. 2(2), 20-26.
- Blake, J. J., Benden, M. E., & Wendel, M. L. (2012). Using Stand/Sit Workstations in Classrooms. Journal of Public Health Management and Practice. 18(5), 412-415.
- Benden, M. E., Wendel, M. L., Jeffrey, C. E., Zhao, H., & Morales, M. L. (2012). Within-subjects analysis of the effects of a stand-biased classroom intervention on energy expenditure. Journal of Exercise Physiology Online. 15(2), 9-19.
- Benden, M. E., Fink, R., & Congleton, J. (2011). An in situ study of the habits of users that affect office chair design and testing. HUMAN FACTORS. 53(1), 38-49.
- Benden, M. E., Mancuso, L., Hongweizhao, .., & Pickens, A. (2011). The ability of the sensewear® armband to assess a change in energy expenditure in children while sitting and standing. Journal of Exercise Physiology Online. 14(3), 1-14.
- Dickerson, J. B., Smith, M. L., Benden, M. E., & Ory, M. G. (2011). The association of physical activity, sedentary behaviors, and body mass index classification in a cross-sectional analysis: are the effects homogenous?. BMC public health. 11(1), 926.
- Benden, M. E., Blake, J. J., Wendel, M. L., & Huber, J. C. (2011). The impact of stand-biased desks in classrooms on calorie expenditure in children.. American journal of public health. 101(8), 1433-1436.
- Benden, M., & Pickens, A. (2009). Evaluation Day. INDUSTRIAL ENGINEER. 41(9), 46-49.
- Benden, M. (2009). Stand tall!. INDUSTRIAL ENGINEER. 41(8), 22-22.
- Benden, M. E. (1994). Creating the Painless Inspection Station: Reduction in cumulative trauma disorders convinces managers to phase in new workstations. Ergonomics in Design The Quarterly of Human Factors Applications. 2(3), 22-29.
- Pickens, A. W., & Benden, M. E. (2013). Curriculum Development for HF/E Graduate Students. Proceedings of the Human Factors and Ergonomics Society. 57(1), 452-456.
- Benden, M. E. (2009). Ergonomic design for the obese office worker.
- Congleton, J. J., & Benden, M. E. (2007). Chair specifications and testing for big & tall seating.
recent teaching activities
chaired theses and dissertations
- Sharma, Pankaj Parag (2018-08). Integrating Sit-Stand Desks with Smart Software to Improve Office Worker Health Behaviors. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Schneider, Drew Eric (2016-05). Pilot Study of Stand-Biased Desks to Reduce Sedentary Time in High School Students. (Master's Thesis)
- Kress, Meghan Michelle (2014-05). The Use of Stand-capable Workstations for Reducing Sedentary Time in Office Employees. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Marsalia, Angela (2013-12). Evaluation of Vibrotactile Alert Systems for Supporting Hazard Awareness and Safety of Distracted Pedestrians. (Master's Thesis)
Texas A&M Health Science Center; Environmental And Occupational Health; 1266 TAMUS
College Station, TX 77845