Functional genomics, bioinformatics, and DNA chip technology are fundamentally changing research on biological systems. Knowledge of complete genome sequences and high resolution genome technology provide an extraordinary opportunity to understand complex biological processes and to relate detailed understanding of protein structure and biochemical mechanism to the function of whole organisms and biological systems in nature.
Our research team is helping to build genome maps and DNA diagnostic microarrays/chips for analysis of global gene expression and biodiversity. This new technology is being used to explore the molecular basis of several fundamental plant responses: (1) light responsive genetic systems that help protect plants from damage by high intensity UV/blue light; (2) genetic systems that allow plants to adapt to the environment; (3) genes and signal transduction pathways that help protect plants from insects and disease; and (4) genes that regulate plant development (flowering time, fertility restoration, chloroplast development/number).
- Farber, C., Li, J., Hager, E., Chemelewski, R., Mullet, J., Rogachev, A. Y., & Kurouski, D. (2019). Complementarity of Raman and Infrared Spectroscopy for Structural Characterization of Plant Epicuticular Waxes. ACS OMEGA. 4(2), 3700-3707.
- Williams, D. L., Ong, R. G., Mullet, J. E., & Hodge, D. B. (2019). Integration of Pretreatment With Simultaneous Counter-Current Extraction of Energy Sorghum for High-Titer Mixed Sugar Production. FRONTIERS IN ENERGY RESEARCH. 6,
- Casto, A. L., Mattison, A. J., Olson, S. N., Thakran, M., Rooney, W. L., & Mullet, J. E. (2019). Maturity2, a novel regulator of flowering time in Sorghum bicolor, increases expression of SbPRR37 and SbCO in long days delaying flowering. PLoS ONE. 14(4), e0212154-e0212154.
- Farber, C., Wang, R., Chemelewski, R., Mullet, J., & Kurouski, D. (2019). Nanoscale Structural Organization of Plant Epicuticular Wax Probed by Atomic Force Microscope Infrared Spectroscopy. Analytical® Chemistry. 91(3), 2472-2479.
- Li, M., Yan, G., Bhalla, A., Maldonado-Pereira, L., Russell, P. R., Ding, S. Y., Mullet, J. E., & Hodge, D. B. (2018). Physical fractionation of sweet sorghum and forage/energy sorghum for optimal processing in a biorefinery. Industrial Crops and Products. 124, 607-616.
- Bentley, A. R., Jensen, E. F., Mackay, I. J., Hönicka, H., Fladung, M., Hori, K., ... Cockram, J. (2013). Flowering time. Genomics and Breeding for Climate-Resilient Crops. (pp. 1-66).
- Mullet, J. (2009). Traits and genes for plant drought tolerance. Biotechnology in Agriculture and Forestry. (pp. 55-64).
- Gélard, W., Herbulot, A., Devy, M., Debaeke, P., McCormick, R. F., Truong, S. K., & Mullet, J. (2017). Leaves segmentation in 3D point cloud. ADVANCED DATA MINING AND APPLICATIONS, PROCEEDINGS. 10617 LNCS, 664-674.
- Kapanigowda, M. H., Payne, W. A., Rooney, W. L., Mullet, J. E., & Balota, M. (2014). Quantitative trait locus mapping of the transpiration ratio related to preflowering drought tolerance in sorghum (Sorghum bicolor). FUNCTIONAL PLANT BIOLOGY. 41(10-11), 1049-1065.
- Harris, K., Subudhi, P. K., Borrell, A., Jordan, D., Rosenow, D., Nguyen, H., ... Mullet, J. (2007). Sorghum stay-green QTL individually reduce post-flowering drought-induced leaf senescence. JOURNAL OF EXPERIMENTAL BOTANY. 58(2), 327-338.
- Finkelstein, D. B., Jordan, W. R., Mullet, J. E., Wing, R. A., Drew, M. C., & Morgan, P. W. (1997). Differentially expressed cDNAs induced in maize root tips by mechanical impedance and hypoxia.. Plant Physiol. 114(3), 1479-1479.
- Finlayson, S. A., Lee, I. J., Creelman, R. A., Mullet, J. E., & Morgan, P. W. (1997). Phytochrome B and the regulation of circadian ethylene rhythms in sorghum by environmental signals.. Plant Physiol. 114(3), 1477-1477.
- Mattison, Ashley Jean (2017-08). The Genetic Basis of Grain Traits in Sorghum. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Truong, Sandra Khavi (2017-05). Canopy Architecture and Performance Modeling in Sorghum bicolor. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- McCormick, Ryan Franklin (2017-05). High-Throughput Genotyping Analyses and Image-based Phenotyping in Sorghum bicolor. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Hilley, Josie Lynn (2017-05). Taking Sorghum to New Heights: Identification of Genes Controlling Height Variation in Sorghum. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- McKinley, Brian Adam (2016-12). Biochemical, Molecular, and Genetic Analysis of Cell Wall Biogenesis and Carbohydrate Accumulation of the Stem During the Phenology of Sorghum bicolor. (Doctoral Dissertation)