- Research Assistant Professor, Veterinary Physiology and Pharmacology, College of Veterinary Medicine and Biomedical Sciences
My research revolves around understanding how aging affects regeneration. I have addressed this question by investigating mesenchymal stem cell aging in humans and progeroid mice. In my current position as Research Assistant Professor, I am exploring the effects of aging and progeria on a new in vivo model for regeneration, the mouse digit tip, which involves regeneration of bone, nail, skin and vasculature, and requires not only stem cells, but also various other cell types to interact in a well-balanced and timely manner. I have recently established that aging delays bone regeneration in this model by attenuating both osteoclast and osteoprogenitor activity, and will now examine which specific aging processes impair osteoclast and osteoprogenitor recruitment, proliferation and differentiation, with the long term goal to improve fracture healing in the elderly.
- Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States), Postdoctoral Training 2017
- Buck Institute for Research on Aging - (Novato, California, United States), Postdoctoral Training 2016
- Ph.D. in Biology of Aging, Innsbruck Medical University - (Innsbruck, Austria) 2011
- M.S. in Genetics and Biotechnology, University of Salzburg - (Salzburg, Austria) 2006
- B.S. in Genetics and Molecular Biology, University of Salzburg - (Salzburg, Austria) 2003
- Brunauer, R., Xia, I. G., Asrar, S. N., Dawson, L. A., Dolan, C. P., & Muneoka, K. (2021). Aging delays epimorphic regeneration in mice. The Journals of Gerontology: Series A. glab131.
- Osorio-Paz, I., Brunauer, R., & Alavez, S. (2020). Beer and its non-alcoholic compounds in health and disease. Critical Reviews in Food Science and Nutrition. 60(20), 3492-3505.
- Dawson, L. A., Schanes, P. P., Marrero, L., Jordan, K., Brunauer, R., Zimmel, K. N., ... Muneoka, K. (2020). Proximal digit tip amputation initiates simultaneous blastema and transient fibrosis formation and results in partial regeneration. Wound Repair and Regeneration. 29(1), 196-205.
- Arroyo-Quiroz, C., Brunauer, R., & Alavez, S. (2020). Factors associated with healthy aging in septuagenarian and nonagenarian Mexican adults. Maturitas. 131, 21-27.
- Schreiber, K. H., Arriola Apelo, S. I., Yu, D., Brinkman, J. A., Velarde, M. C., Syed, F. A., ... Lamming, D. W. (2019). A novel rapamycin analog is highly selective for mTORC1 in vivo. Nature Communications. 10(1), 3194.
- Brunauer, R., Xia, I., Asrar, S., Dawson, L., Dolan, C., & Muneoka, K. (2020). Aging delays epimorphic regeneration in mice. JOURNAL OF BONE AND MINERAL RESEARCH. 35, 163-163.
- Brunauer, R., & Muneoka, K. (2017). Mouse digit regeneration: a new model to study age-related regenerative decline.. JOURNAL OF BONE AND MINERAL RESEARCH. 32, S217-S217.
- Brunauer, R., Laschober, G., Fehrer, C., & Lepperdinger, G. (2011). Age-associated functional changes of human mesenchymal stem cells. Experimental Gerontology. 46(2-3), 211-211.
- Trimmel, D., Brunauer, R., Laschober, G. T., Kloss, F., Gassner, R., & Lepperdinger, G. (2011). Proliferation and differentiation of human bone-derived mesenchymal stem cells are affected by NADPH oxidase 4-produced ROS. Experimental Gerontology. 46(2-3), 208-208.
- Herndler-Brandstetter, D., Landgraf, K., Jenewein, B., Tzankov, A., Brunauer, R., Parson, W., ... Grubeck-Loebenstein, B. (2010). Human bone marrow hosts polyfunctional memory CD4 and CD8 T cells with close contact to IL-15-producing stromal cells. IMMUNOLOGY. 131, 136-136.