Dr. Smith teaches meat science, nutrition and physiological nutrition courses. He also conducts research on the growth and development of adipose tissue, particularly in the bovine species. He has investigated the limitation of cattle to marble and has used his background in molecular biology to investigate lipid metabolism in the bovine muscle.
- Nogoy, K., Kim, H. J., Lee, D. H., Smith, S. B., Seong, H. A., & Choi, S. H. (2021). Oleic acid in Angus and Hanwoo (Korean native cattle) fat reduced the fatty acid synthase activity in rat adipose tissues. Journal of Animal Science and Technology. 63(2), 380-393.
- Gonzales, C. L., Lawrence, T. E., Hutcheson, J. P., & Smith, S. B. (2020). Zilpaterol hydrochloride lowers marbling score by dilution of marbling and depression of intramuscular adipocyte volume in M. longissimus dorsi of beef steers. Meat Sci. 170, 108238-108238.
- Nogoy, K., Kim, H. J., Lee, Y., Zhang, Y., Yu, J., Lee, D. H., ... Choi, S. H. (2020). High dietary oleic acid in olive oil‐supplemented diet enhanced omega‐3 fatty acid in blood plasma of rats. Food Science & Nutrition. 8(7), 3617-3625.
- Smith, S. B., Lunt, D. K., Smith, D. R., & Walzem, R. L. (2020). Producing high-oleic acid beef and the impact of ground beef consumption on risk factors for cardiovascular disease: A review. Meat Sci. 163, 108076-108076.
- Braundmeier-Fleming, A. G., Skenandore, C. S., Gil, L., Jacobsen, V., Cregger, M., Badger, T., ... Newell-Fugate, A. E. (2020). Dietary substitution of soybean oil with coconut oil in the absence of dietary antibiotics supports growth performance and immune function in nursery and grower pigs. Journal of Animal Science and Biotechnology. 11(1), 27.
- Smith, S. B., & Smith, D. R. (2016). Fats: Production and Uses of Animal Fats. Encyclopedia of Food and Health. (pp. 604-608). Elsevier.
- Smith, S. B. (2013). Functional Development of Stearoyl-CoA Desaturase Gene Expression in Livestock Species. Stearoyl-CoA Desaturase Genes in Lipid Metabolism. (pp. 141-159). Springer New York.
- Wu, G., Bazer, F. W., Burghardt, R. C., Johnson, G. A., Kim, S. W., Knabe, D. A., ... Spencer, T. E. (2010). Functional amino acids in swine nutrition and production. Dynamics in Animal Nutrition. (pp. 69-98).
- Mersmann, H. J., & Smith, S. B. (2005). Chapter 11 Development of white adipose tissue lipid metabolism. Biology of Growing Animals. Biology of Growing Animals. (pp. 275-302). Elsevier.
- Smith, S. B., & Carstens, G. E. (2005). Chapter 12 Ontogeny and metabolism of brown adipose tissue in livestock species. Biology of Growing Animals. Biology of Metabolism in Growing Animals. (pp. 303-322). Elsevier.
- Smith, S. B. (2019). Carcass quality of cattle raised in tropical/subtropical environments. JOURNAL OF ANIMAL SCIENCE. 97, 33-33.
- Kim, J., Chung, K. Y., Johnson, B. J., & Smith, S. B. (2019). Oleic acid stimulate the formation of adipocyte-like cells from bovine satellite cells via G Protein Coupled Receptor 43 and CCAAT/Enhancer Binding Protein Beta. JOURNAL OF ANIMAL SCIENCE. 97, 308-309.
- Lee, C. W., Galvan, E., Lee, T. V., Chen, V., Bui, S., Crouse, S. F., ... Riechman, S. E. (2018). The Effects of Choline Intake and Resistance Exercise Training on Strength Gains in Older Adults. MEDICINE AND SCIENCE IN SPORTS AND EXERCISE. 50(5), 82-82.
- Cabral, A. R., Blackmon, T. L., Miller, R. K., Kerth, C. R., & Smith, S. B. (2017). 370 Relationships between fatty acid composition, trained panel descriptors, and volatile aroma compounds of ground beef patties of brisket, flank and plate with 10, 20, and 30% total fat. JOURNAL OF ANIMAL SCIENCE. 95(suppl_4), 183-183.
- Lee, C. W., Galvan, E., Lee, T. V., Chen, V. C., Bui, S., Crouse, S. F., ... Riechman, S. E. (2017). Lower Choline Intake is Associated with Diminished Strength and Lean Mass Gains in Older Adults. MEDICINE AND SCIENCE IN SPORTS AND EXERCISE. 49(5S), 321-321.
- Blackmon, Terronica La'Treal (2015-12). Increasing Glucose or Glucose Precursors to Increase Beef Quality and Juiciness. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Edwards, Holly Danielle (2013-12). Ruminal Characterization of Lipase-producing Bacteria and Immunogenic Inhibition of Ruminal Lipase Activity: Effects on Rumen Microbial Ecology and Beef Quality. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Adams, Thaddeus Hunter (2012-08). Effects of a High Oleic Acid Beef Diet on Cardiovascular Disease Risk Factors of Human Subjects. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Gang, Gyoung Ok (2012-08). Lipid Metabolism in Bovine Subcutaneous Adipose Tissue of Steers Fed Supplementary Palm Oil or Soybean Oil. (Master's Thesis)
- Ghahramany, Ghazal (2012-05). High-Oleic Ground Beef and Risk Factors for Cardiovascular Disease in Men and Postmenopausal Women. (Doctoral Dissertation)