My primary interests include Cancer; Oncogenes; Tumor Suppressor; Genes Programmed Cell Death (apoptosis); Chemoresistance, and Angiogenesis. My laboratory studies mechanisms of evolution of chemoresistance in diffuse large B-cell lymphoma (DLBCL). One current primary objective is to conduct a Phase I study that (1) confirms RTI-79 safety in platinum-resistant/refractory ovarian cancer patients, and (2) demonstrates signals of efficacy in humans (ex: time-to-disease progression and changes in CA125 biomarker). A second objective is to better define the RTI-79 mechanism of action (MOA) by (1) determining how RTI-79 causes a rapid burst in superoxides, and (2) elucidating the basis of Nrf-2 pathway downregulation.
- Baylor College of Medicine - (Houston, Texas, United States), Postdoctoral Training 1990
- The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center - (Houston, Texas, United States), Postdoctoral Training 1987
- Ph.D. in Molecular Virology, The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston - (Houston, Texas, United States) 1985
- M.S. in Molecular Virology, The University of Texas Health Science Center at Houston - (Houston, Texas, United States) 1982
- B.A. in Chemistry, Abilene Christian University - (Abilene, Texas, United States) 1980
- B.S. in Biology and Chemistry, Abilene Christian University - (Abilene, Texas, United States) 1980
- Maxwell, S. A., & Mousavi-Fard, S. (2013). Non-Hodgkin's B-cell lymphoma: Advances in molecular strategies targeting drug resistance. EXPERIMENTAL BIOLOGY AND MEDICINE. 238(9), 971-990.
- Dave, J. M., Kang, H., Abbey, C. A., Maxwell, S. A., & Bayless, K. J. (2013). Proteomic Profiling of Endothelial Invasion Revealed Receptor for Activated C Kinase 1 (RACK1) Complexed with Vimentin to Regulate Focal Adhesion Kinase (FAK). JOURNAL OF BIOLOGICAL CHEMISTRY. 288(42), 30720-30733.
- Kwak, H., Kang, H., Dave, J. M., Mendoza, E. A., Su, S., Maxwell, S. A., & Bayless, K. J. (2012). Calpain-mediated vimentin cleavage occurs upstream of MT1-MMP membrane translocation to facilitate endothelial sprout initiation. ANGIOGENESIS. 15(2), 287-303.
- Maxwell, S. A., Cherry, E. M., & Bayless, K. J. (2011). Akt, 14-3-3 zeta zeta, and vimentin mediate a drug-resistant invasive phenotype in diffuse large B-cell lymphoma. Leuk Lymphoma. 52(5), 849-864.
- Maxwell, S. A., Li, Z., Jaye, D., Ballard, S., Ferrell, J., & Fu, H. (2010). 14-3-3ζ mediates resistance of diffuse large B cell lymphoma to an anthracycline-based chemotherapeutic regimen (The Journal of Biological Chemistry (2009) 284, (22379-22389)). JOURNAL OF BIOLOGICAL CHEMISTRY. 285(49), 38740-38740.
- Dave, J. M., Maxwell, S. A., & Bayless, K. J. (2012). RACK1 and vimentin complex to regulate FAK during endothelial invasion.. MOLECULAR BIOLOGY OF THE CELL. 23,
- Cherry, E. M., Bayless, K. J., & Maxwell, S. A. (2011). Drug resistance and invasion in diffuse large B-cell lymphoma are mediated by Akt, 14-3-3 zeta, and Vimentin. CANCER RESEARCH. 71(8 Supplement), 702-702.
- Bayless, K. J., Kwak, H., Mendoza, E. A., & Maxwell, S. A. (2007). ADAM17 mediates endothelial invasion in three-dimensional collagen matrices. The FASEB Journal. 21(5), A194-A194.
- Maxwell, S. A., & Davis, G. E. (2000). Comparative gene expression profiling in p53-mediated apoptosis-resistant and sensitive endothelial cell lines.. The FASEB Journal. 14(4), A555-A555.
- Davis, G. E., Bell, S. E., Bayless, K. J., Salazar, R., Pintar, K. A., Suhasini, K., & Maxwell, S. A. (2000). Molecular regulation of capillary morphogenesis and regression in three-dimensional extracellular matrix environments.. The FASEB Journal. 14(4), A787-A787.