o Improving nutritional, physical, and emotional health across the life span among underserved and rural populations
o Community empowerment and engagement for improving population health
o Systems approach to improving population health in rural and underserved areas
o Developing, implementing, and evaluating culturally-responsive approaches to establish and maintain healthy lifestyles
o Mixed research methods, including qualitative (e.g., focus groups, in-depth interviews) and quantitative (e.g., survey design and web-based application) methods, study design, and analytical approaches.
o Community-based participatory research, education, and outreach
o Reducing the risk for food insecurity and hunger among children, adults, and seniors
o Improving the response of food systems in rural areas
- Ph.D. in Nutrition, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill - (Chapel Hill, North Carolina, United States) 2002
- M.P.H. in Nutrition, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill - (Chapel Hill, North Carolina, United States) 1997
- Johnson, C. M., Sharkey, J. R., Umstattd Meyer, M. R., Gmez, L., Allicock, M. A., Prochnow, T., Beltrn, E., & Martinez, L. (2021). Designing for Multilevel Behavior Change: A Father-Focused Nutrition and Physical Activity Program for Mexican-Heritage Families in South Texas Border Communities. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. 18(19), 10117-10117.
- McDonald, J. A., Sroka, C. J., Olivares, E., Marin, M. R., Gurrola, M., & Sharkey, J. R. (2021). Intrafamilial Characteristics Are Important Predictors of Children's Diets in New Mexico's Border Colonias.. Health Promot Pract. 15248399211045680-152483992110456.
- McClendon, M. E., Umstattd Meyer, M. R., Prochnow, T., Ylitalo, K. R., Meyer, A. R., Bridges Hamilton, C. N., & Sharkey, J. R. (2021). Qu Pasa Con Pap? Exploring Paternal Responsibilities and Physical Activity in Mexican-Heritage Families.. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 18(16), 8618-8618.
- Umstattd Meyer, M. R., Ylitalo, K. R., Prochnow, T., Gmez, L. A., & Sharkey, J. R. (2020). Physical Activity Space Methodology for Assessment and Prioritization (PASMAP): Combining systematic observations with community perceptions to identify community physical activity resource priorities.. Health Place. 66, 102443-102443.
- Prochnow, T., Ylitalo, K. R., Sharkey, J., & Meyer, R. (2019). Perceived Physical Activity Barriers of Mexican-Heritage Sibling Dyads.. Am J Health Behav. 43(4), 781-794.
- Sharkey, J. R., Bustillos, B. D., Umstattd Meyer, M. R., & Legg, T. J. (2014). Health Promotion and Disease Prevention in the Older Adult. Bernstein, M., & Munoz, N. (Eds.), Nutrition for the Older Adult. 115-150. Jones & Bartlett Publishers.
- Dean, W. R., Johnson, C. M., & Sharkey, J. R. (2012). Rural Food Disparities: Availability and Accessibility of Healthy Foods. Crosby, R. A., Wendel, M. L., Vanderpool, R. C., & Casey, B. R. (Eds.), Rural Populations and Health Determinants, Disparities, and Solutions. 251-266. JOhn Wiley & Sons.
- Sharkey, J. R., & Kamp, B. (2011). Nutrition Services for Older Americans. Bernstein, M., & Luggen, A. S. (Eds.), Nutrition for the Older Adult. 369-382. Jones & Bartlett Publishers.
- Locher, J. L., & Sharkey, J. R. (2009). An Ecological Perspective on Older Adult Eating Behavior. Bales, W. C., & Ritchie, S. C. (Eds.), Handbook of Clinical Nutrition and Aging. 3-17. Humana Press.
- Bolin, J. L., & Sharkey, J. R. (2006). Health and Nutrition in Rural Areas. Goins, R. T., & Krout, J. A. (Eds.), Service Delivery to Rural Older Adults Research, Policy and Practice. 79-101. Springer Publishing Company.
- Bustillos, Brenda D (2016-05). Examining Hunger and Food Insecurity Among Older Adults of Mexican Heritage in Texas-Mexico Border Colonias: A Holistic Approach. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Hutchinson, Jennifer Becker (2011-08). Linking Household Food Inventories with Dietary Recalls to Examine the Association between Nutrient Availability and Dietary Intake among Mexican-origin Children who Reside in Texas Border Region Colonias. (Master's Thesis)
- Sisk, Cheree L. (2009-08). Using Multiple Household Food Inventories to Measure Food Availability in the Home. (Master's Thesis)
- Creel, Jennifer Sue (2006-12). The availability of healthy food options in fast food outlets in six rural counties. (Master's Thesis)
- Bustillos, Brenda Diane (2006-12). Measuring availability of healthful foods in two rural Texas counties. (Master's Thesis)