o Improving nutritional, physical, and emotional health across the life span among underserved and rural populations
o Community empowerment and engagement for improving population health
o Systems approach to improving population health in rural and underserved areas
o Developing, implementing, and evaluating culturally-responsive approaches to establish and maintain healthy lifestyles
o Mixed research methods, including qualitative (e.g., focus groups, in-depth interviews) and quantitative (e.g., survey design and web-based application) methods, study design, and analytical approaches.
o Community-based participatory research, education, and outreach
o Reducing the risk for food insecurity and hunger among children, adults, and seniors
o Improving the response of food systems in rural areas
- Ph.D. in Nutrition, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill - (Chapel Hill, North Carolina, United States) 2002
- M.P.H. in Nutrition, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill - (Chapel Hill, North Carolina, United States) 1997
- Ylitalo, K. R., Bridges, C. N., Gutierrez, M., Sharkey, J. R., & Meyer, M. (2019). Sibship, physical activity, and sedentary behavior: a longitudinal, observational study among Mexican-heritage sibling dyads. BMC Public Health. 19(1), 191.
- Park, S., Onufrak, S., Patel, A., Sharkey, J. R., & Blanck, H. M. (2019). Perceptions of drinking water safety and their associations with plain water intake among US Hispanic adults. Journal of Water and Health. 17(4), 587-596.
- Prochnow, T., Ylitalo, K. R., Sharkey, J., & Meyer, R. (2019). Perceived Physical Activity Barriers of Mexican-Heritage Sibling Dyads. American Journal of Health Behavior. 43(4), 781-794.
- Park, S., Ayala, G. X., Sharkey, J. R., & Blanck, H. M. (2019). Knowledge of Health Conditions Associated With Sugar-Sweetened Beverage Intake Is Low Among US Hispanic Adults. AMERICAN JOURNAL OF HEALTH PROMOTION. 33(1), 39-47.
- McDonald, J. A., Sroka, C., Olivares, E., Marin, M., Gurrola, M., & Sharkey, J. R. (2018). Patterns of Screen Time Among Rural Mexican-American Children on the New Mexico-Mexico Border. Preventing Chronic Disease. 15(9), e113.
- Sharkey, J. R., Bustillos, B. D., Umstattd Meyer, M. R., & Legg, T. J. (2014). Health Promotion and Disease Prevention in the Older Adult. Bernstein, M., & Munoz, N. (Eds.), Nutrition for the Older Adult. (pp. 115-150). Jones & Bartlett Publishers.
- Dean, W. R., Johnson, C. M., & Sharkey, J. R. (2012). Rural Food Disparities: Availability and Accessibility of Healthy Foods. Crosby, R. A., Wendel, M. L., Vanderpool, R. C., & Casey, B. R. (Eds.), Rural Populations and Health Determinants, Disparities, and Solutions. (pp. 251-266). JOhn Wiley & Sons.
- Sharkey, J. R., & Kamp, B. (2011). Nutrition Services for Older Americans. Bernstein, M., & Luggen, A. S. (Eds.), Nutrition for the Older Adult. (pp. 369-382). Jones & Bartlett Publishers.
- Locher, J. L., & Sharkey, J. R. (2009). An Ecological Perspective on Older Adult Eating Behavior. Bales, W. C., & Ritchie, S. C. (Eds.), Handbook of Clinical Nutrition and Aging. (pp. 3-17). Humana Press.
- Bolin, J. L., & Sharkey, J. R. (2006). Health and Nutrition in Rural Areas. Goins, R. T., & Krout, J. A. (Eds.), Service Delivery to Rural Older Adults Research, Policy and Practice. (pp. 79-101). Springer Publishing Company.
- Bustillos, Brenda D (2016-05). Examining Hunger and Food Insecurity Among Older Adults of Mexican Heritage in Texas-Mexico Border Colonias: A Holistic Approach. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Hutchinson, Jennifer Becker (2011-08). Linking Household Food Inventories with Dietary Recalls to Examine the Association between Nutrient Availability and Dietary Intake among Mexican-origin Children who Reside in Texas Border Region Colonias. (Master's Thesis)
- Sisk, Cheree L. (2009-08). Using Multiple Household Food Inventories to Measure Food Availability in the Home. (Master's Thesis)
- Creel, Jennifer Sue (2006-12). The availability of healthy food options in fast food outlets in six rural counties. (Master's Thesis)
- Bustillos, Brenda Diane (2006-12). Measuring availability of healthful foods in two rural Texas counties. (Master's Thesis)