education and training
- Ph.D. in Geological Sciences, University of California, Riverside - (Riverside, California, United States) 2006
- M.S. in Applied Geophysics, Ocean University of China - (Qingdao, China) 1994
- B.A. in Applied Geophysics, Ocean University of China - (Qingdao, China) 1991
- Liu, D., Duan, B., & Luo, B. (2020). EQsimu: a 3-D finite element dynamic earthquake simulator for multicycle dynamics of geometrically complex faults governed by rate- and state-dependent friction. GEOPHYSICAL JOURNAL INTERNATIONAL. 220(1), 598-609.
- Zhong, S., Wan, Z., Duan, B., Liu, D., & Luo, B. (2019). Do earthquakes trigger mud volcanoes? A case study from the southern margin of the Junggar Basin, NW China. Geological Journal. 54(3), 1223-1237.
- He, Z., & Duan, B. (2019). Dynamic modeling of bedding-plane slip during hydraulic fracturing. GEOPHYSICS. 84(3), KS95-KS104.
- Duan, B. (2019). Multicycle Dynamics of the Aksay Bend Along the Altyn Tagh Fault in Northwest China: 1. A Simplified Double Bend. Tectonics. 38(3), 1101-1119.
- Duan, B., Liu, Z., & Elliott, A. J. (2019). Multicycle Dynamics of the Aksay Bend Along the Altyn Tagh Fault in Northwest China: 2. The Realistically Complex Fault Geometry. Tectonics. 38(3), 1120-1137.
- Duan, B. (2012). Ground-motion simulations with dynamic source characterization and parallel computing. Imaging, Modeling and Assimilation in Seismology. (pp. 199-218). De Gruyter.
- Wu, X., Duan, B., & Taylor, V. (2011). Parallel Earthquake Simulations on Large-Scale Multicore Supercomputers. Furht, B., & Escalante, A. (Eds.), Handbook of Data Intensive Computing. (pp. 539-562). Springer New York.
- Szafranski, D., & Duan, B. (2018). Integrating poroelastic effects of wastewater injection and rupture dynamics to understand induced seismicity..
- Wu, X., Duan, B., & Taylor, V. (2011). Parallel simulations of dynamic earthquake rupture along geometrically complex faults on CMP systems. Journal of Algorithms and Computational Technology. 5(2), 313-340.
- Wu, X., Duan, B., & Taylor, V. (2009). An OpenMP approach to modeling dynamic earthquake rupture along geometrically complex faults on CMP systems. 2000 INTERNATIONAL WORKSHOPS ON PARALLEL PROCESSING, PROCEEDINGS. 146-153.
awards and honors
chaired theses and dissertations
- He, Zhenhua (2018-12). Dynamic Geomechanical Modeling of the Induced Microseismicity During Hydraulic Fracturing. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Luo, Bin (2018-12). Numerical Investigation of Controls on Megathrust Earthquakes Along the Japan Trench Subduction Zone. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Liu, Dunyu (2018-12). Dynamic Modeling of Earthquake Cycles on Complex Faults, Scenario Earthquakes, and Off-Fault Damage. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Payne, Ryan Matthew (2017-12). Integrating Grain-Scale and Fault-Scale Geomechanical Models: A Multi-Scale Study of Fault Triggering. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Mao, Youli (2017-05). Dynamic Relaxation for Initial Stress Setup and Inelastic Response of Compliant Fault Zones to the Nearby Earthquakes. (Master's Thesis)
Texas A&M University; Geology; 3115 TAMU
College Station, TX 77843-3115