Our lab has been examining the biology of MSCs with a view to developing rapid molecular markers and tests for evaluating/purifying maximally efficacious cultures of MSCs. The group also specializes in bone repair by MSCs. Based on detailed characterization of the molecular mechanism of osteoblast differentiation by MSCs, a novel and effective bone regeneration strategy has been developed. Additionally, we are currently examining the effects of various small molecules and immunological strategies for the safe and effective inhibition of Dkk-1 activity in bone tumors.We have recently established methods to model bone-tumor interactions using bioreactors that simulate microgravity.
- Tulane University - (New Orleans, Louisiana, United States), Postdoctoral Training 2004
- Wellcome Centre for Cell-Matrix Research - (Manchester, United Kingdom), Postdoctoral Training 1999
- Ph.D. in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Manchester - (Manchester, Manchester, United Kingdom) 1998
- B.Sc. in Biochemistry, University of York - (York, York, United Kingdom) 1995
- Mondragón, E., Cowdin, M., Taraballi, F., Minardi, S., Tasciotti, E., Gregory, C. A., & Kaunas, R. (2020). Mimicking the Organic and Inorganic Composition of Anabolic Bone Enhances Human Mesenchymal Stem Cell Osteoinduction and Scaffold Mechanical Properties. Frontiers in Bioengineering and Biotechnology. 8, 753.
- McNeill, E. P., Zeitouni, S., Pan, S., Haskell, A., Cesarek, M., Tahan, D., ... Gregory, C. A. (2020). Characterization of a pluripotent stem cell-derived matrix with powerful osteoregenerative capabilities. Nature Communications. 11(1), 3025.
- Sears, C., Mondragon, E., Richards, Z. I., Sears, N., Chimene, D., McNeill, E. P., ... Kaunas, R. (2020). Conditioning of 3D Printed Nanoengineered Ionic–Covalent Entanglement Scaffolds with iP‐hMSCs Derived Matrix. Advanced Healthcare Materials. 9(15), e1901580-1901580.
- Xin, S., Dai, J., Gregory, C. A., Han, A., & Alge, D. L. (2019). Creating Physicochemical Gradients in Modular Microporous Annealed Particle Hydrogels via a Microfluidic Method. Advanced Functional Materials. 30(6), 1907102-1907102.
- Xin, S., Gregory, C. A., & Alge, D. L. (2019). Interplay between degradability and integrin signaling on mesenchymal stem cell function within poly(ethylene glycol) based microporous annealed particle hydrogels. Acta Biomaterialia. 101, 227-236.
- Zeitouni, S., Ford, B. S., Harris, S. M., Whitney, M. J., Gregory, C. A., & Prockop, D. J. (2011). Pharmaceutical induction of ApoE secretion. Current Research in Pharmaceutical Technology. (pp. 192-210).
- Gregory, C. A. (2008). Mesenchymal Stem Cells: From Culture to Clinic. Levičar, N., Habib, N. A., Gordon, M. Y., & Dimarakis, I. (Eds.), Stem Cell Repair and Regeneration, Volume 3. (pp. 21-43). IMPERIAL COLLEGE PRESS.
- Gregory, C. A., & Prockop, D. J. (2007). Fundamentals of Culture and Characterization of Mesenchymal Stem/Progenitor Cells (MSCs) from Bone Marrow Stroma. Culture of Human Stem Cells. (pp. 207-232). John Wiley & Sons, Inc..
- Mota, S. M., Rogers, R. E., Haskell, A. W., McNeill, E. P., Giger, M. L., Kaunas, R. R., Gregory, C. A., & Maitland, K. C. (2019). Morphological cell image analysis for real-time monitoring of stem cell culture. SILICON PHOTONICS XIII. 10883, 108831i-108831i-7.
- Carrow, J. K., Cross, L. M., Reese, R. W., Jaiswal, M. K., Gregory, C. A., Kaunas, R., Singh, I., & Gaharwar, A. K. (2019). Widespread changes in transcriptome profile of human mesenchymal stem cells induced by 2D nanosilicates. Transactions of the Annual Meeting of the Society for Biomaterials and the Annual International Biomaterials Symposium. 40, 967.
- Sears, C., McNeill, E., Clough, B., Jaligama, S., Kameoka, J., Gregory, C. A., & Kaunas, R. (2017). Use of Osteogenically Enhanced Mesenchymal Stem Cells and Their Cell-Derived Matrices for Bone Tissue Engineering. TISSUE ENGINEERING PART A. 23, S29-S29.
- Witek, M. A., Chen, G., Shadpour, H., Khaterpal, I., Prockop, D., Gregory, C. A., McCarley, R. L., & Soper, S. A. (2006). Integrated microfluidic system for the processing of membrane proteins isolated from stem cells. 1456-1458.
- GREGORY, C. A., GUNN, W. G., REYES, E., SMOLARZ, A. J., MUNOZ, J., SPEES, J. L., & PROCKOP, D. J. (2005). How Wnt Signaling Affects Bone Repair by Mesenchymal Stem Cells from the Bone Marrow. TRENDS AND DIRECTIONS IN CLIMATE RESEARCH. 1049(1), 97-106.
- Primitive Stem Cells Could Be Used For Complicated Bone Fractures Texas A&M Today June 16, 2020
- Texas A&M Researchers Use 3D-Printed Biomaterials Laced With Stem Cells To Create Superior Bone Grafts Texas A&M Today June 2, 2020
- New hydrogels wither while stem cells flourish for tissue repair EurekAlert! February 4, 2020
- Gregory, C., & Prockop, D. (2016). Compositions of mesenchymal stem cells to regenerate bone.
- Gregory, C., Krause, U., & Clough, B. (2016). Mesenchymal stem cells and supports for tissue regeneration, repair and reconstruction.