Our lab has been examining the biology of MSCs with a view to developing rapid molecular markers and tests for evaluating/purifying maximally efficacious cultures of MSCs. The group also specializes in bone repair by MSCs. Based on detailed characterization of the molecular mechanism of osteoblast differentiation by MSCs, a novel and effective bone regeneration strategy has been developed. Additionally, we are currently examining the effects of various small molecules and immunological strategies for the safe and effective inhibition of Dkk-1 activity in bone tumors.We have recently established methods to model bone-tumor interactions using bioreactors that simulate microgravity.
- Tulane University - (New Orleans, Louisiana, United States), Postdoctoral Training 2004
- Wellcome Centre for Cell-Matrix Research - (Manchester, United Kingdom), Postdoctoral Training 1999
- Ph.D. in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, University of Manchester - (Manchester, Manchester, United Kingdom) 1998
- B.Sc. in Biochemistry, University of York - (York, York, United Kingdom) 1995
- Rogers, R. E., Haskell, A., White, B. P., Dalal, S., Lopez, M., Tahan, D., ... Kaunas, R. (2021). A Scalable System for Generation of Mesenchymal Stem Cells Derived from Induced Pluripotent Cells Employing Bioreactors and Degradable Microcarriers. Stem Cells Translational Medicine. 10(12), 1650-1665.
- Dobson, L. K., Zeitouni, S., McNeill, E. P., Bearden, R. N., Gregory, C. A., & Saunders, W. B. (2021). Canine Mesenchymal Stromal Cell-Mediated Bone Regeneration is Enhanced in the Presence of Sub-Therapeutic Concentrations of BMP-2 in a Murine Calvarial Defect Model. Frontiers in Bioengineering and Biotechnology. 9, 764703.
- Gasson, S. B., Dobson, L. K., Chow, L., Dow, S., Gregory, C. A., & Saunders, W. B. (2021). Optimizing In Vitro Osteogenesis in Canine Autologous and Induced Pluripotent Stem Cell-Derived Mesenchymal Stromal Cells with Dexamethasone and BMP-2.. Stem Cells Dev. 30(4), 214-226.
- Mota, S. M., Rogers, R. E., Haskell, A. W., McNeill, E. P., Kaunas, R., Gregory, C. A., Giger, M. L., & Maitland, K. C. (2021). Automated mesenchymal stem cell segmentation and machine learning-based phenotype classification using morphometric and textural analysis.. J Med Imaging (Bellingham). 8(1), 014503.
- Sears, C., Mondragon, E., Richards, Z. I., Sears, N., Chimene, D., McNeill, E. P., ... Kaunas, R. (2020). Conditioning of 3D Printed Nanoengineered Ionic-Covalent Entanglement Scaffolds with iP-hMSCs Derived Matrix.. Adv Healthc Mater. 9(15), e1901580-1901580.
- Gregory, C. A., McNeill, E. P., & Pan, S. (2020). Preparation of osteogenic matrices from cultured cells.. METHODS IN CELL BIOLOGY, VOL 49. Methods in Cell Biology. 15-43. Elsevier.
- Zeitouni, S., Ford, B., Harris, S., Whitney, M., Gregory, C., & Prockop, D. (2011). Adenovirus Dodecahedron, as a Drug Delivery Vector. Current Research in Pharmaceutical Technology. 161-180. Apple Academic Press.
- Gregory, C. A. (2008). Mesenchymal Stem Cells: From Culture to Clinic. Levičar, N., Habib, N. A., Gordon, M. Y., & Dimarakis, I. (Eds.), Stem Cell Repair and Regeneration, Volume 3. 21-43. IMPERIAL COLLEGE PRESS.
- Gregory, C. A., & Prockop, D. J. (2007). Fundamentals of Culture and Characterization of Mesenchymal Stem/Progenitor Cells (MSCs) from Bone Marrow Stroma. Culture of Human Stem Cells. 207-232. John Wiley & Sons, Inc..
- Mota, S. M., Rogers, R. E., Haskell, A. W., McNeill, E. P., Kaunas, R. R., Gregory, C. A., Giger, M. L., & Maitland, K. C. (2021). U-Net based image segmentation of mesenchymal stem cells. Imaging, Manipulation, and Analysis of Biomolecules, Cells, and Tissues XIX, Imaging, Manipulation, and Analysis of Biomolecules, Cells, and Tissues XIX. 11647, 116470v-116470v-7.
- Benavides, O. R., Gibbs, H. C., Gregory, C. A., & Maitland, K. C. (2021). Custom Imaging Chamber for Multimodal Volumetric Microscopy. Biophotonics Congress 2021, Bio-Optics: Design and Application. dth2a.4.
- Niemann, E., Dejardin, L. M., Dobson, L. K., Eichelberger, B. M., Kerwin, S. C., Gregory, C. A., & Saunders, W. B. (2019). Optimizing a Critical Gap Femoral Defect Model for Objective Assessment of Bone Regeneration in Dogs. Veterinary and Comparative Orthopaedics and Traumatology, Abstracts of the 46th Annual Conference of the Veterinary Orthopedic Society. 32, a13-a24.
- Mota, S. M., Gregory, C. A., Maitland, K. C., Giger, M. L., Kaunas, R. R., Rogers, R. E., Haskell, A. W., & McNeill, E. P. (2019). Morphological cell image analysis for real-time monitoring of stem cell culture. Three-Dimensional and Multidimensional Microscopy: Image Acquisition and Processing XXVI, Three-Dimensional and Multidimensional Microscopy: Image Acquisition and Processing XXVI. 10883, 108831i-108831i-7.
- Xin, S., Gregory, C., & Alge, D. (2019). Interplay between degradability and integrin signaling on mesenchymal stem cell function within porous poly(Ethylene glycol) microgel scaffolds. Transactions of the Annual Meeting of the Society for Biomaterials and the Annual International Biomaterials Symposium. 40, 253.
- Primitive Stem Cells Could Be Used For Complicated Bone Fractures Texas A&M Today June 16, 2020
- Texas A&M Researchers Use 3D-Printed Biomaterials Laced With Stem Cells To Create Superior Bone Grafts Texas A&M Today June 2, 2020
- New hydrogels wither while stem cells flourish for tissue repair EurekAlert! February 4, 2020
- Gregory, C., & Prockop, D. (2016). Compositions of mesenchymal stem cells to regenerate bone.
- Gregory, C., Krause, U., & Clough, B. (2016). Mesenchymal stem cells and supports for tissue regeneration, repair and reconstruction.
- Silveira, Catrina J (2021-04). Fibroblast growth factor and its role in the chondrogenesis of canine mesenchymal stromal cells in three-dimensional collagen scaffolds. (Master's Thesis)
- Silveira, Catrina J (2021-05). Fibroblast growth factor and its role in the chondrogenesis of canine mesenchymal stromal cells in three-dimensional collagen scaffolds. (Master's Thesis)
- Mc Neill, Eoin (2019-12). Extracellular Matrix Secreted by Osteogenically Enhanced Mesenchymal Stem Cells Recapitulates the Osteogenic Microenvironment. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Mc Neill, Eoin (2019-11). Extracellular Matrix Secreted by Osteogenically Enhanced Mesenchymal Stem Cells Recapitulates the Osteogenic Microenvironment. (Doctoral Dissertation)