Our laboratory is interested in the pathogenesis of bacterial lung infections particularly tuberculosis and Legionnaires' disease. We are examining the virulence mechanisms of bacteria using cellular, molecular and genetic techniques. Our primary research goal is to obtain a better understanding of the roles of the pathogen and host in disease. These studies should contribute to our understanding of host-pathogen interactions at the molecular and cellular level that can be used for prevention, treatment and diagnosis. We hope that through a better understanding of the mechanisms by which these organisms cause disease we can prevent some, if not all, of these infections in the future.
- Stanford Medicine - (Stanford, California, United States), Postdoctoral Training 1995
- Ph.D. in Microbiology and Immunology, Yeshiva University - (New York, New York, United States) 1992
- M.S. in Microbiology and Immunology, Yeshiva University - (New York, New York, United States) 1989
- B.A. in Biology and Chemistry, Pitzer College - (Claremont, California, United States) 1986
- Moule, M. G., & Cirillo, J. D. (2020). Mycobacterium tuberculosis Dissemination Plays a Critical Role in Pathogenesis. Frontiers in Cellular and Infection Microbiology. 10,
- Dharra, R., Radhakrishnan, V. S., Prasad, T., Thakur, Z., Cirillo, J. D., Sheoran, A., ... Mehta, P. K. (2019). Evaluation of in silico designed inhibitors targeting MelF (Rv1936) against Mycobacterium marinum within macrophages. SCIENTIFIC REPORTS. 9(1), 10084.
- Durkee, M. S., Cirillo, J. D., & Maitland, K. C. (2019). Fluorescence modeling of in vivo optical detection of Mycobacterium tuberculosis.. Biomedical Optics Express. 10(10), 5445-5460.
- Christensen, L. M., Sule, P., Cirillo, S., Strain, M., Plumlee, Q., Adams, L. G., & Cirillo, J. D. (2019). Legionnaires’ disease mortality in guinea pigs involves the p45 mobile genomic element. The Journal of Infectious Diseases. 220(10), 1700-1710.
- Christensen, L. M., Sule, P., Strain, M., & Cirillo, J. D. (2019). Legionella pneumophila p45 element influences host cell entry and sensitivity to sodium. PLoS ONE. 14(6), e0218941-e0218941.
- Kong, Y., & Cirillo, J. D. (2018). Fluorescence Imaging of Mycobacterial Infection in Live Mice Using Fluorescent Protein-Expressing Strains. Methods in Molecular Biology. Reporter Gene Imaging. (pp. 75-85). Springer New York.
- Khan, A., Singh, C. R., Soudani, E., Bakhru, P., Saikolappan, S., Cirillo, J. D., ... Jagannath, C. (2014). Autophagy enhances the Efficacy of BCG Vaccine. Autophagy, Infection, and the Immune Response. (pp. 245-265). Wiley.
- Greenberg, M., Sharan, R., Galbadage, T., Sule, P., Smith, R., Lovelady, A., ... Maitland, K. C. (2018). In vitro results of flexible light-emitting antimicrobial bandage designed for prevention of surgical site infections. VISUALIZING AND QUANTIFYING DRUG DISTRIBUTION IN TISSUE III. 10479, 104790m.
- Bordin, A. I., Gressler, L. T., Alexander, E., Sule, P., Cirillo, J. D., Edwards, J. F., & Cohen, N. D. (2017). Guinea pig infection with the intracellular pathogen Rhodococcus equi. Veterinary Microbiology. 215, 18-22.
- Durkee, M. S., Cirillo, J. D., & Maitland, K. C. (2017). A fluorescence model of the murine lung for optical detection of pathogenic bacteria. VISUALIZING AND QUANTIFYING DRUG DISTRIBUTION IN TISSUE III. 10411, 104110h-104110h-5.
- Sule, P., Tilvawala, R., Behinaein, P., Walkup, G. K., & Cirillo, J. D. (2016). New directions using reporter enzyme fluorescence (REF) as a tuberculosis diagnostic platform. Tuberculosis. 101, s78-s82.
- Nooshabadi, F., Yang, H., Cheng, Y., Xie, H., Rao, J., Cirillo, J. D., & Maitland, K. C. (2016). Whole-animal imaging of bacterial infection using endoscopic excitation of β-lactamase (BlaC)-specific fluorogenic probe. VISUALIZING AND QUANTIFYING DRUG DISTRIBUTION IN TISSUE III. 9715, 97150h-97150h-5.
- A&M researchers hosting COVID-19 vaccine trial The Battalion September 28, 2020
- BCS first responders invited to participate in Texas A&M COVID drug trial KBTX September 11, 2020
- Tuberculosis vaccine in late-stage trial as COVID-19 protection The Week July 10, 2020
- A biotech facility at Texas A&M is 'ready to save the world,' which is only partly hyperbole The Dallas Morning News July 9, 2020
- Texas A&M experts weigh in on COVID-19 vaccine developments The Battalion June 14, 2020
- Cirillo, J. D., & Norman, M. T. (2019). Beta lactamase as biomarker for the specific detection of tuberculosis-complex bacteria.
- Rao, J., Xie, H., Cheng, Y., & Cirillo, J. (2017). 2,7-disubstituted cephalosporin derivatives as beta-lactamase substrates and methods for their use for the diagnosis of tuberculosis.
- Rao, J., Cirillo, J. D., Xie, H., & Sacchettini, J. C. (2017). β-lactamase substrates and methods of their use for the diagnosis of tuberculosis.
- Cirillo, J., & Rao, J. (2016). Use of bacterial beta-lactamase for in vitro diagnostics and in vivo imaging, diagnostics and therapeutics.
- Shepherd, Tonya Fujina (2016-08). RV3295 (LuxR1) Is a Transcriptional Regulator Important for Virulence in the Mycobacterium Tuberculosis and Mycobacterium Marinum In Vitro and In Vivo Models. (Doctoral Dissertation)