I am the world's smallest plumber--my research involves manipulating fluid flow in tiny channels the size of a human hair. Harnessing microfluidic phenomena makes it possible to build pocket-sized systems that can perform sophisticated chemical and biochemical tests outside the confines of a conventional lab. But achieving precise control over the flow of liquids at these small size scales is extremely challenging. Therefore, we are working to understand fundamental transport phenomena in microfluidic systems, and how they can be exploited to enable innovative applications including:
Fast and inexpensive diagnosis of infection and disease.
Sensitive screening for early detection of cancer.
Biodegradable sponges for easy cleanup of oil spills.
Spontaneous organization of chemical building blocks to form long-chain molecules--a key unanswered question in the origin of life.
- University of Michigan-Ann Arbor - (Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States), Postdoctoral Training 2002
- Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering, Northwestern University - (Evanston, Illinois, United States) 1999
- M.S. in Aerospace Engineering, The University of Texas at Austin - (Austin, Texas, United States) 1994
- Nguyen, T., Kappes, E., King, S., Hassan, Y., & Ugaz, V. (2018). Time-resolved PIV measurements in a low-aspect ratio facility of randomly packed spheres and flow analysis using modal decomposition. Experiments in Fluids. 59(8), 127.
- Priye, A., Yu, Y., Hassan, Y. A., & Ugaz, V. M. (2017). Synchronized chaotic targeting and acceleration of surface chemistry in prebiotic hydrothermal microenvironments. PROCEEDINGS OF THE NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA-BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES. 114(6), 1275-1280.
- Han, D., & Ugaz, V. M. (2017). Embedding hands-on mini laboratory experiences in a core undergraduate fluid mechanics course: A pilot study. Chemical Engineering Education. 51(3), 136-144.
- Contreras-Naranjo, J. C., Wu, H., & Ugaz, V. M. (2017). Microfluidics for exosome isolation and analysis: enabling liquid biopsy for personalized medicine. Lab on a Chip - Miniaturisation for Chemistry and Biology. 17(21), 3558-3577.
- Priye, A., & Ugaz, V. M. (2017). Smartphone-Enabled Detection Strategies for Portable PCR–Based Diagnostics. Methods in molecular biology (Clifton, N.J.). 1571, 251-266.
- Priye, A., & Ugaz, V. M. (2016). Convective PCR Thermocycling with Smartphone-Based Detection: A Versatile Platform for Rapid, Inexpensive, and Robust Mobile Diagnostics. Microfluidic Methods for Molecular Biology. (pp. 55-69). Springer International Publishing.
- Huang, J., Jayaraman, A., & Ugaz, V. M. (2013). Chapter 2 Microvascular Networks for Tissue Engineering. Microfluidic Cell Culture Systems. (pp. 27-52).
- Huang, J. H., Jayaraman, A., & Ugaz, V. M. (2012). Microvascular Networks for Tissue Engineering. Microfluidic Cell Culture Systems. (pp. 27-52). Elsevier.
- Ugaz, V. M., & Christensen, J. L. (2007). Electrophoresis in Microfluidic Systems. Microfluidic Technologies for Miniaturized Analysis Systems. (pp. 393-438). Springer Us.
- Ugaz, V. M. (2007). PCR in Integrated Microfluidic Systems. Integrated Biochips for DNA Analysis. (pp. 90-106). Springer New York.
- Kappes, E., Marciniak, M., Mills, A., Muyshondt, R., King, S., Nguyen, T. D., Hassan, Y. A., & Ugaz, V. (2018). Time-Resolved Velocity Measurements in a Matched Refractive Index Facility of Randomly Packed Spheres. 6B, v06bt08a058-v06bt08a058.
- King, S., Kappes, E., Nguyen, D. T., Hassan, Y. A., & Ugaz, V. (2018). Probability analysis of velocity distribution in a facility of randomly packed spheres featuring matching-refractive-index and time-resolved PIV techniques. TRANSACTIONS OF THE AMERICAN NUCLEAR SOCIETY. 119, 122-125.
- Kappes, E., Marciniak, M., King, S., Mills, A., Muyshondt, R., Nguyen, D. T., Hassan, Y. A., & Ugaz, V. (2018). Time-resolved particle image velocimetry measurements in a low-aspect ratio pebble bed reactor. AISTech - Iron and Steel Technology Conference Proceedings. 2018-May, 1123-1126.
- Kappes, E., Marciniak, M., King, S., Mills, A., Muyshondt, R., Nguyen, D. T., Hassan, Y. A., & Ugaz, V. (2018). Time-resolved particle image velocimetry measurements in a low-aspect ratio pebble bed reactor. TRANSACTIONS OF THE AMERICAN NUCLEAR SOCIETY. 118, 1123-1126.
- King, S., Kappes, E., Marciniak, M., Nguyen, D. T., Hassan, Y. A., & Ugaz, V. (2017). Pressure drop measurements in a versatile experimental facility of packed spheres. TRANSACTIONS OF THE AMERICAN NUCLEAR SOCIETY. 117, 1713-1716.
- Ravisankar, Vijay (2016-12). Precipitate Generation and Characterization of Corrosion Source Alumina for GSI-191 Chemical Effects Issue. (Master's Thesis)
- Priye, Aashish (2015-05). Micro-Scale Complex Flows Enables Robust DNA Replication, Enhanced Transport and Tunable Fluid-Particle Interactions. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Meng, Fanxu (2015-05). Continuous Nanoparticle Sizing and Characterization via Microfluidics. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Shi, Nan (2014-12). Investigation of the Effect of Hydrogel Pore Morphology on DNA Migration Mechanisms in Microchip Gel Electrophoresis. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Contreras Naranjo, Jose Clemente (2013-12). Interference-based Investigation of Microscopic Objects Near Surfaces: a View From Below. (Doctoral Dissertation)