Dr. Castillo's research interests include the development of control measures for minimizing and reducing pathogens in fresh and fresh-cut food products, the bacterial reduction on beef and pork products and fresh produce by sanitizing rinses and the use of electron beam irradiation for food safety purposes. He has published numerous articles in peer-reviewed journals, has authored or co-authored six book chapters and has published two books as editor. He teaches the graduate course in Microbiology of Foods and co-teaches the HACCP stacked course.
- Ph.D. in Food Science and Technology, Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States) 1998
- M.Sc. in Food Microbiology & Hygiene, University of Guadalajara - (Guadalajara, Mexico) 1987
- B.Sc. in Biology, Chemistry & Pharmacy, University of Guadalajara - (Guadalajara, Mexico) 1977
- Mohammad, Z. H., Murano, E. A., Moreira, R. G., & Castillo, A. (2020). Effect of post inoculation drying procedures on the reduction of Salmonella on almonds by thermal treatments.. Food Res Int. 130, 108857-108857.
- Arias-Rios, E. V., Acuff, G. R., Castillo, A., Lucia, L. M., Niebuhr, S. E., & Dickson, J. S. (2019). Identification of a surrogate to validate irradiation processing of selected spices. LWT - Food Science and Technology. 102, 136-141.
- Hudson, J. C., Tolen, T. N., Kirsch, K. R., Acuff, G., Taylor, T. M., Lucia, L. M., & Castillo, A. (2019). Comparison of Antimicrobial Treatments Applied via Conventional or Handheld Electrostatic Spray To Reduce Shiga Toxin-Producing Escherichia coli on Chilled Beef Outside Rounds.. Journal of Food Protection. 82(5), 862-868.
- Mohammad, Z. H., Murano, E. A., Moreira, R. G., & Castillo, A. (2019). Effect of air- and vacuum-packaged atmospheres on the reduction of Salmonella on almonds by electron beam irradiation. LWT - Food Science and Technology. 116, 108389-108389.
- Martinez-Chavez, L., Cuellar-Villalobos, I. G., Cabrera-Diaz, E., Gutierrez-Gonzalez, P., Castillo, A., Hernandez-Iturriaga, M., ... Martinez-Gonzales, N. E. (2019). Effect of single and combined chemical and physical treatments on the survival of Salmonella and Escherichia coli O157:H7 attached to Valencia oranges. Int J Food Microbiol. 300, 22-30.
- Martínez-Gonzáles, N. E., & Castillo, A. (2016). Safety of fresh-squeezed juices. Food Hygiene and Toxicology in Ready-to-Eat Foods. (pp. 183-208). Elsevier.
- Castillo, A., Martínez-Téllez, M. A., & Ofelia Rodríguez-García, M. (2014). Melons. The Produce Contamination Problem: Causes and Solutions: Second Edition. (pp. 207-236).
- Castillo, A., Martínez-Téllez, M. A., & Rodríguez-García, M. O. (2009). Melons. The Produce Contamination Problem. (pp. 189-221). Elsevier.
- Castillo, A., & Rodríguez‐García, M. O. (2008). Bacterial Hazards in Fresh and Fresh‐Cut Produce: Sources and Control. Preharvest and Postharvest Food Safety. (pp. 43-58). Blackwell Publishing.
- Castillo, A., Hardin, M. D., Acuff, G. R., & Dickson, J. S. (2001). Reduction of microbial contaminants on carcasses. Control of Foodborne Microorganisms. (pp. 351-382).
- Oh, J. K., Yegin, Y., Rapisand, W., Zhang, M., Castillo, A., Cisneros-Zevallos, L., & Akbulut, M. (2019). Modification of food-safe glove surfaces with superhydrophobic nanotextures for enhanced food safety. ACS Photonics. 257,
- Talibart, R., Denis, M., Castillo, A., Cappelier, J. M., & Ermel, G. (2000). Survival and recovery of viable but noncultivable forms of Campylobacter in aqueous microcosm.. Int J Food Microbiol. 55(1-3), 263-267.
- Mohammad, Zahra Hassan (2018-08). Detection of Shiga Toxin-Producing Escherichia Coli and Salmonella Aerosolized In Various Areas of Commercial Slaughter Plants by Using Dynamic Bioaerosol Monitoring Techniques. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Bryant, Alana Michelle (2017-12). Factors Affecting the Growth and Survival of Salmonella and Shiga Toxin-Producing Escherichia coli on Microgreens. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Arias Rios, Elba Veronica (2017-05). Standardization of Inoculation Procedures for Salmonellae and Surrogate Bacteria for Validating Spice/Herb Pathogen Reduction Processes. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Villarreal Silva, Mariana (2016-08). Role of Epiphytic Bacteria in the Colonization of Fruits and Leafy Greens by Foodborne Bacterial Pathogens. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Hudson, Jessica C. (2015-12). Comparison of Antimicrobial Treatments Applied via Conventional Spray or Electrostatic Spray to Reduce Shiga-Toxigenic Escherichia coli (STEC) on Chilled Beef Outside Rounds. (Master's Thesis)