Bacteria have a limited behavioral repertoire. Their most conspicuous behavior is chemotaxis - the pursuit of molecules that are favorable to acquire and the avoidance of chemicals that are best to avoid. The simplicity of bacterial motility and chemotaxis and the amenability of the model species Escherichia coli to genetic, biochemical and physiological manipulation have facilitated rapid advances in understanding the molecular mechanisms of biological energy conversion and signal transduction.
Our laboratory studies the inputs and outputs of chemotaxis. Ligands interact with the periplasmic receptor domain of a chemotactic signal transducer that spans the cell membrane. This interaction is converted into an intracellular signal that is communicated to the flagella. Molecules can be sensed either by binding directly to a receptor or by first interacting with a periplasmic binding protein, which then interacts with a receptor.
- California Institute of Technology - (Pasadena, California, United States), Postdoctoral Training 1981
- University of Colorado Boulder - (Boulder, Colorado, United States), Postdoctoral Training 1979
- Ph.D. in Biology, Stanford University - (Stanford, California, United States) 1976
- B.A. in Biology, Johns Hopkins University - (Baltimore, Maryland, United States) 1969
- Yang, J., Chawla, R., Rhee, K. Y., Gupta, R., Manson, M. D., Jayaraman, A., & Lele, P. P. (2020). Biphasic chemotaxis of Escherichia coli to the microbiota metabolite indole. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 117(11), 6114-6120.
- Manson, M. D. (2020). Howard Berg's Random Walk through Biology.. JOURNAL OF BACTERIOLOGY. 202(23),
- Manson, M. D. (2020). pH Sensing in Bacillus subtilis: a New Path to a Common Goal.. JOURNAL OF BACTERIOLOGY. 202(4),
- Orr, A. A., Yang, J., Sule, N., Chawla, R., Hull, K. G., Zhu, M., ... Tamamis, P. (2019). Molecular Mechanism for Attractant Signaling to DHMA by E. coli Tsr. BIOPHYSICAL JOURNAL. 118(2), 492-504.
- Manson, M. D. (2019). One Basic Blueprint, Many Different Motors.. JOURNAL OF BACTERIOLOGY. 201(8),
- Manson, M. D. (2018). The Diversity of Bacterial Chemosensing. Methods in Molecular Biology. Bacterial Chemosensing. (pp. 3-6). Springer New York.
- Manson, M. D. (2018). Transmembrane Signal Transduction in Bacterial Chemosensing. Methods in Molecular Biology. Bacterial Chemosensing. (pp. 7-19). Springer New York.
- Hegde, M., Englert, D. L., Wood, T., Manson, M., & Jayaraman, A. (2010). Listening to new signals with old ears: Sensing and recognition of the quorum sensing signal AI-2 by the TSR chemoreceptor.
- McAndrew, R. S., Ellis, E. A., Lai, R., Manson, M., & Holzenburg, A. (2006). Effects of Chemoreceptor Modification on the Structure of Tsr Arrays. MICROSCOPY AND MICROANALYSIS. 12(S02), 378-379.
- McAndrew, R. S., Ellis, E. A., Manson, M., & Holzenburg, A. (2004). TEM Anaysis of Chemoreceptor Arrays in Native Membranes of E. coli. MICROSCOPY AND MICROANALYSIS. 10(S02), 416-417.
- Young, J. J., Lee, C. C., Malshe, A. P., Tung, S., & Manson, M. D. (2001). Design and fabrication of a cellular motor driven micro fluidic system. 2, 3045-3051.
- Young, J. J., Malshe, A. P., Lee, C. C., Tung, S., & Manson, M. D. (2001). Design and fabrication of a cellular motor driven micro fluidic system. 3, 471-477.
- Seely, Andrew Loran (2017-08). An Analysis of the Tsr-LsrB Interaction During Autoinducer-2 Chemotaxis In Escherichia coli. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Jani, Sneha Jagdish (2017-05). Chemotaxis toward Autoinducer-2 and Its Role in Biofilm Development in Escherichia coli. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Adase, Christopher A. 1981- (2012-12). The C-Terminus of Transmembrane Helix 2 (TM2) of the Escherichia coli Tar Chemorecptor Determines Signal Output and Ligand Sensitivity. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Wright, Gus Alan (2009-08). The Role of the TM2-HAMP Junction in Control of the Signaling State of the Aspartate Chemoreceptor of E. (coli. Doctoral Dissertation)
- Draheim, Roger Russell (2007-05). The role of protein-membrane interactions in modulation of signaling by bacterial chemoreceptors. (Doctoral Dissertation)