Mcwhirter, David individual record
- Professor, English, The Texas A&M University System
I specialize in late 19th and 20th century British and American literature and culture, with particular emphases on modernism, gender studies, aesthetics, early cinema, US southern studies, and Henry James.
education and training
- Ph.D. in English, University of Virginia - (Charlottesville, Virginia, United States) 1984
- M.A. in English, University of Virginia - (Charlottesville, Virginia, United States) 1977
- B.A. in English, Yale University - (New Haven, Connecticut, United States) 1972
- McWhirter, D. (2020). Feeling Backward with Henry James: The Melancholy of History. HENRY JAMES REVIEW. 41(1), 1-14.
- Ford, S., & McWhirter, D. (2014). "Everybody to their own visioning": Eudora Welty in the Twenty-First Century. Eudora Welty Review. 6(6), 3-7.
- McWhirter, D. (2013). WOOLF, ELIOT, AND THE ELIZABETHANS: THE POLITICS OF MODERNIST NOSTALGIA. ENGLISH LANGUAGE NOTES. 51(1), 231-247.
- McWhirter, D. (2011). Bersani's James. HENRY JAMES REVIEW. 32(3), 211-217.
- McWhirter, D. (2009). EUDORA WELTY GOES TO THE MOVIES: MODERNISM, REGIONALISM, GLOBAL MEDIA. MFS-MODERN FICTION STUDIES. 55(1), 68-91.
- McWhirter, D. (2010). Henry James in Context. Cambridge University Press.
- McWhirter, D. (1989). Desire and Love in Henry James A Study of the Late Novels. Cambridge University Press.
- McWhirter, D. (2018). Teaching Welty and/in Modernism. TEACHING THE WORKS OF EUDORA WELTY: TWENTY-FIRST-CENTURY APPROACHES. 133-140.
- Mcwhirter, D. B. (2014). A Future for Henry James. Tuhkanen, M. (Eds.), Leo Bersani Queer Theory and Beyond. 225-248. SUNY Press.
- Mcwhirter, D. B. (2013). Young Henry James: The Outsider. Biasio, A. D., Despotopoulou, A., & Izzo, D. (Eds.), Transforming Henry James. 10-23. Cambridge Scholars Pub.
- Mcwhirter, D. B. (2013). Secret Agents: Weltys African Americans. Pollack, H. (Eds.), Eudora Welty, Whiteness, and Race. 114-130. University of Georgia Press.
- McWhirter, D. (1997). A provision full of responsibilities: senses of the past in Henry James's fourth phase. Buelens, G. (Eds.), Enacting History in Henry James. 148-165. Cambridge University Press (CUP).
- (2003). Aesthetic Subjects. U of Minnesota Press.
- (). Henry James's New York Edition The Construction of Authorship. Stanford University Press.
recent teaching activities
- ENGL303 Approaches Engl Studies Instructor
- ENGL337 Life & Lit Of Am South Instructor
- ENGL350 20th Cent Lit To Wwii Instructor
- ENGL351 Advanced Film Instructor
- ENGL372 American Poetry Instructor
chaired theses and dissertations
- Jung, Jeewon (2018-12). Modernist Urban Culture and Cinematic Perception: Contingency, Superficiality, and Fragmentation. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Hudder, Clifford Wallace (2018-05). The Capital of Elsewhere: Places, Fictions, Houstons. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Kim, Boo Sung (2017-08). Attention and Distraction: Cinematic Perception and Spectatorship in Modernist Texts, 1897-1941. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Jung, Yeonsik (2013-12). The Pathology of Fear: Disease and American Dis-ease at the Turn of the Twentieth Century. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Lee, Hyangmi (2013-05). "Bumping into a Rememory": Place and History in Postcolonial Writing. (Doctoral Dissertation)
Texas A&M University; English; 4227 TAMU
College Station, TX 77843-4227