Dr. Kakosimos' main research activities are focused on the development and application of the tools needed to improve and sustain the quality of the environment. In 2014, he established the Sustainable Energy and Clean Air Research lab (SECAReLab) with unique facilities for the development and testing of solar-driven chemical processes and the involved equipment and materials. He received the IChemE Hutchison medal for 2015.
His primary research activities are focused on the following fields:
+ Study of environmental processes with computational fluid dynamics tools
+ Risk analysis and effects estimation of fires, explosions, and toxic gas dispersions
+ Solar thermochemical processes
+ Development of numerical and stochastic models for local scale atmospheric dispersion of pollutants
+ Design and application of equipment for the monitoring of airborne particulate matter pollution based on passive sampling
+ Thermophysical properties
+ Augmented reality tools for visualization and training
- Ph.D. in Chemical Engineering, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki - (Thessaloniki, Kentriki Makedonia, Greece) 2009
- D.E. in Chemical Engineering, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki - (Thessaloniki, Kentriki Makedonia, Greece) 2002
- Argyropoulos, C. D., Hassan, H., Kumar, P., & Kakosimos, K. E. (2020). Measurements and modelling of particulate matter building ingress during a severe dust storm event. Building and Environment. 167, 106441-106441.
- Khan, J., Kakosimos, K., Raaschou-Nielsen, O., Brandt, J., Jensen, S. S., Ellermann, T., & Ketzel, M. (2019). Development and performance evaluation of new AirGIS – A GIS based air pollution and human exposure modelling system. Atmospheric Environment. 198, 102-121.
- Chatzimichailidis, A. E., Argyropoulos, C. D., Assael, M. J., & Kakosimos, K. E. (2019). Implicit Definition of Flow Patterns in Street Canyons-Recirculation Zone-Using Exploratory Quantitative and Qualitative Methods. ATMOSPHERE. 10(12), 794-794.
- Ottosen, T., Ketzel, M., Skov, H., Hertel, O., Brandt, J., & Kakosimos, K. E. (2019). Micro-scale modelling of the urban wind speed for air pollution applications. SCIENTIFIC REPORTS. 9(1), 14279.
- Chatzimichailidis, A. E., Argyropoulos, C. D., Assael, M. J., & Kakosimos, K. E. (2019). Qualitative and quantitative investigation of multiple large eddy simulation aspects for pollutant dispersion in street canyons using OpenFOAM. ATMOSPHERE. 10(1), 17-17.
- Efthimiou, G. C., Andronopoulos, S., Kovalets, I. V., Venetsanos, A., Argyropoulos, C. D., & Kakosimos, K. (2018). Validation of an inverse method for the source determination of a hazardous airborne material released from a point source in an urban environment. Springer Proceedings in Complexity. (pp. 329-332). Springer International Publishing.
- Hassan, H., Abraham, M., Kumar, P., & Kakosimos, K. E. (2017). Sources and emissions of fugitive particulate matter. Airborne Particles: Origin, Emissions and Health Impacts. (pp. 21-35).
- Gopalaswami, N., Kakosimos, K., Zhang, B., Liu, Y., Mentzer, R., & Sam Mannan, M. (2018). Liquefied natural gas (Lng) pool spreading and vaporization on water. 17-39.
- Chatzimichailidis, A. E., Argyropoulos, C. D., Assael, M. J., & Kakosimos, K. E. (2017). A formulation for the street canyon recirculation zone based on parametric analysis of large eddy simulations. 2017-October, 455-459.
- Kakosimos, K. E., Al-Haddad, G., Sakellariou, K. G., Pagkoura, C., & Konstandopoulos, A. G. (2017). Characterization of Qatar's Surface Carbonates for CO2 Capture and Thermochemical Energy Storage. WORKSHOP ON DARK MATTER, UNIFICATION AND NEUTRINO PHYSICS (CETUP 2012). 1850,
- Sarwar, J., Shrouf, T., & Kakosimos, K. E. (2017). Characterization of Thermal Performance and Optical Properties of a Material under Concentrated Radiation Using a High Flux Solar Simulator. WORKSHOP ON DARK MATTER, UNIFICATION AND NEUTRINO PHYSICS (CETUP 2012). 1850,
- Kovalets, I. V., Efthimiou, G. C., Andronopoulos, S., Venetsanos, A. G., Kakosimos, K., & Argyropoulos, C. D. (2017). Development of the method for identification of the unknown short duration source in urban atmospheric environment using the CFD Model. 2017-October, 711-715.
- Alnoush, Wajdi Jamal Othman Ahmed (2018-12). Shortcut Modeling of Natural Gas Supersonic Separation. (Master's Thesis)
- Nawayd, Shaikh Mohammed (2018-08). A Dosage Based Methodology to Simulate Crowd Evacuations in Toxic Environments. (Master's Thesis)
- Naser, Mona Ahmad Hussein (2018-05). Utility System Optimization Under Air Quality Considerations. (Master's Thesis)
- Abbas, Ahmed Eisa Elbasheer (2017-12). Electrical Output Evaluation of a Concentrated Photovoltaic System Coupled with a Phase Change Material for Qatar Weather Conditions. (Master's Thesis)
- Shazed, Abdur Rahman (2017-12). Chemical Plant Analysis of Hydrogen Production Based on the Hybrid-Sulfur Ammonia Water Splitting Cycle. (Master's Thesis)