Dr. Cardoso's research interests focus on understanding the impact of the prenatal and early postnatal environments on reproductive neuroendocrine function in females using sheep and cattle as animal models to benefit both the livestock industry as well as human reproductive health. The Cardoso Lab integrates whole animal physiology with cellular and molecular biology to elucidate the mechanisms by which the perinatal environment can modulate several reproductive processes in the offspring. Dr. Cardoso's teaching interests range from practical reproductive management of livestock to advanced reproductive neuroendocrinology.
- University of Michigan-Ann Arbor - (Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States), Postdoctoral Training 2016
- D.V.M. in , Sao Paulo State University - (São Paulo, Brazil) 2005
- M.S. in Animal Reproduction, Sao Paulo State University - (São Paulo, Brazil)
- Ph.D. in Physiology of Reproduction, Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States) 2014
- Bradbery, A. N., Coverdale, J. A., Hartz, C. J., Millican, A. A., Goehring, M. S., Fikes, K. K., ... Satterfield, M. C. (2021). Effect of maternal overnutrition on predisposition to insulin resistance in the foal: Maternal parameters and foal pancreas histoarchitecture. Anim Reprod Sci. 227, 106720-106720.
- Cardoso, D., Cardoso, R. C., & de Paula Nogueira, G. (2021). Functions of the GABAergic system on serum LH concentrations in pre-pubertal Nellore heifers. Anim Reprod Sci. 229, 106764-106764.
- Long, J. M., Trubenbach, L. A., Hobbs, K. C., Poletti, A. E., Steinhauser, C. B., Pryor, J. H., ... Satterfield, M. C. (2021). Maternal nutrient restriction in late pregnancy programs postnatal metabolism and pituitary development in beef heifers. PLoS ONE. 16(4), e0249924-e0249924.
- Oosthuizen, N., Fontes, P., Filho, R., Dahlen, C. R., Grieger, D. M., Hall, J. B., ... Lamb, G. C. (2021). Pre-synchronization of ovulation timing and delayed fixed-time artificial insemination increases pregnancy rates when sex-sorted semen is used for insemination of heifers. Anim Reprod Sci. 226, 106699-106699.
- Landers, R., Padmanabhan, V., & Cardoso, R. C. (2020). Developmental programming: gestational testosterone excess disrupts LH secretion in the female sheep fetus. Reproductive Biology and Endocrinology. 18(1), 106.
- Cardoso, R. C., & Williams, G. L. (2019). 205 Neuroendocrine pathways and the nutritional control of puberty in heifers. JOURNAL OF ANIMAL SCIENCE. 97(Supplement_2), 119-120.
- Cardoso, R. C., Alves, B., & Williams, G. L. (2018). Neuroendocrine signaling pathways and the nutritional control of puberty in heifers. ANIMAL REPRODUCTION. 15(Suppl. 1), 868-878.
- Scarpa, J. O., O'Neil, M. M., Cardoso, R. C., Stanko, R. L., & Williams, G. L. (2017). 480 Follicle dynamics and fertility at fixed-time AI of Bos indicus-influenced beef cows synchronized with the 5-Day Bee Synch + Cidr protocol with or without GnRH on day 0. JOURNAL OF ANIMAL SCIENCE. 95(suppl_4), 234-234.
- Cardoso, R. C., Puttabyatappa, M., & Padmanabhan, V. (2015). Steroidogenic versus Metabolic Programming of Reproductive Neuroendocrine, Ovarian and Metabolic Dysfunctions. Neuroendocrinology. 102(3), 226-237.
- Cardoso, R. C., Alves, B., Prezotto, L. D., Thorson, J. F., Tedeschi, L. O., Keisler, D. H., ... Williams, G. L. (2014). Use of a stair-step compensatory gain nutritional regimen to program the onset of puberty in beef heifers. JOURNAL OF ANIMAL SCIENCE. 92(7), 2942-2949.
- De Souza Scarpa, Jose Oswaldo (2018-08). Comparison of Follicular and Luteal Dynamics in Protocols Developed for Synchronization of Ovulation in Bos indicus-Influenced Beef Cows: The Role of Gonadotropin-Releasing Hormone at Treatment Onset. (Master's Thesis)