Dr. Quek's research area is human-computer interaction and computer vision, focusing on embodied interaction and cognition, support for human learning, and research in assistive technologies for individuals with disabilities. His research is highly relevant to K-12, STEM, and inclusive education.
- Ph.D. in Computer Science, University of Michigan-Ann Arbor - (Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States) 1990
- B.S. in Electrical Engineering, University of Michigan-Ann Arbor - (Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States) 1984
- M.S. in Electrical Engineering, University of Michigan-Ann Arbor - (Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States) 1984
- D.E. in Electronics and Communication Engineering, Singapore Polytechnic - (Singapore, Singapore) 1978
- Schlegel, R. J., Chu, S. L., Chen, K., Deuermeyer, E., Christy, A. G., & Quek, F. (2019). Making in the classroom: Longitudinal evidence of increases in self-efficacy and STEM possible selves over time. Computers and Education. 142, 103637-103637.
- Chu, S. L., Deuermeyer, E., & Quek, F. (2018). Supporting scientific modeling through curriculum-based making in elementary school science classes. International Journal of Child-Computer Interaction. 16, 1-8.
- Chu, S. L., Angello, G., Saenz, M., & Quek, F. (2017). Fun in Making: Understanding the experience of fun and learning through curriculum-based Making in the elementary school classroom. ENTERTAINMENT COMPUTING. 18, 31-40.
- El-Glaly, Y. N., & Quek, F. (2016). Read what you touch with intelligent audio system for non-visual interaction. ACM Transactions on Interactive Intelligent Systems. 6(3), 1-27.
- Kim, J. S., Gračanin, D., Yang, T., & Quek, F. (2015). Action-transferred navigation technique design approach supporting human spatial learning. ACM TRANSACTIONS ON COMPUTER-HUMAN INTERACTION. 22(6), 1-42.
- Kavanaugh, A., Sheetz, S. D., Quek, F., & Joon Kim, B. (2013). Cell phone use with social ties during crises: The case of the virginia tech tragedy. Using Social and Information Technologies for Disaster and Crisis Management. (pp. 84-97). IGI Global.
- McNeill, D., Duncan, S., Franklin, A., Gos, J., Kimbara, I., Parrill, F., ... Tuttle, R. (2009). Mind merging. Expressing Oneself / Expressing One's Self: Communication, Cognition, Language, and Identity. (pp. 143-164).
- Zhang, J., Zhang, L. J., Quek, F., & Chung, J. Y. (2008). A framework supporting context-aware multimedia web services delivery. Web Services Research and Practices. (pp. 110-134). IGI Global.
- Zhang, J., Zhang, L. J., Quek, F., & Chung, J. Y. (2008). A service-oriented multimedia componentization model. Multimedia Technologies: Concepts, Methodologies, Tools, and Applications. (pp. 559-578). IGI Global.
- Chu, S. L., Garcia, B., Deuermeyer, E., Deady, S., & Quek, F. (2019). An investigation of relevance from curriculum-aligned making in the elementary school science classroom. 1-9.
- Okundaye, O., Quek, F., & Chu, S. (2019). Broadening participation for remote communities: Situated distance telepresence. 494-500.
- Berman, A., Chu, S. L., Quek, F., Okundaye, O., Yang, L., Deuermeyer, E., ... Doss, J. (2019). Proximal and distal mentors: Sustaining making-expertise in rural schools. 26-33.
- Berman, A., Deuermeyer, E., Nam, B., Chu, S. L., & Quek, F. (2018). Exploring the 3D Printing Process for Young Children in Curriculum-Aligned Making in the Classroom. 681-686.
- Okundaye, O., Chu, S., Quek, F., Berman, A., Natarajarathinam, M., & Kuttolamadom, M. (2018). From Making to Micro-Manufacture: Catalyzing STEM Participation in Rural High Schools. Part F137702, 21-29.
- Okundaye Jr., Osazuwa John (2017-08). Use, Non-Use, and Appropriation of Large Non-Interactive Public Displays in Higher Education Contexts. (Master's Thesis)
- Sridharamurthy, Kumar (2015-12). Design Guidelines for the Development of Motion Capture System for Elementary School Classroom Integration. (Master's Thesis)
- Bhangaonkar, Sourabh Suhas (2015-12). Effect of Narrative Structures on Sensemaking. (Master's Thesis)
- Chu Yew Yee, Sharon Lynn (2015-05). Performative Authoring: Nurturing Children's Creativity and Creative Self-Efficacy through Digitally-Augmented Enactment-Based Storytelling. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Chu Yew Yee, Sharon Lynn (2015-05). Performative Authoring: Nurturing Children’s Creativity and Creative Self-Efficacy through Digitally-Augmented Enactment-Based Storytelling. (Doctoral Dissertation)