Dr. Quek's research area is human-computer interaction and computer vision, focusing on embodied interaction and cognition, support for human learning, and research in assistive technologies for individuals with disabilities. His research is highly relevant to K-12, STEM, and inclusive education.
- Ph.D. in Computer Science, University of Michigan-Ann Arbor - (Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States) 1990
- B.S. in Electrical Engineering, University of Michigan-Ann Arbor - (Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States) 1984
- M.S. in Electrical Engineering, University of Michigan-Ann Arbor - (Ann Arbor, Michigan, United States) 1984
- D.E. in Electronics and Communication Engineering, Singapore Polytechnic - (Singapore, Singapore) 1978
- Thakare, K., Jerpseth, L., Pei, Z., Elwany, A., Quek, F., & Qin, H. (2021). Bioprinting of Organ-on-Chip Systems: A Literature Review from a Manufacturing Perspective. Journal of Manufacturing and Materials Processing. 5(3), 91-91.
- Chan, A., Quek, F., Panchal, H., Howell, J., Yamauchi, T., & Seo, J. H. (2020). The Effect of Co-Verbal Remote Touch on Electrodermal Activity and Emotional Response in Dyadic Discourse.. Sensors (Basel). 21(1), 168-168.
- Schlegel, R. J., Chu, S. L., Chen, K., Deuermeyer, E., Christy, A. G., & Quek, F. (2019). Making in the classroom: Longitudinal evidence of increases in self-efficacy and STEM possible selves over time. Computers & Education. 142, 103637-103637.
- Peng, C., Fang, B., Quek, F., Cao, Y., Park, S. I., & Xie, L. (2015). Upper Body Tracking and 3D Gesture Reconstruction Using Agent-Based Architecture. International Journal of Image and Graphics. 15(04), 1550016-1550016.
- Quek, F., & Oliveira, F. (2013). Enabling the blind to see gestures. ACM Transactions on Computer-Human Interaction. 20(1), 1-32.
- Zarei, N., Quek, F., Chu, S. L., & Brown, S. A. (2020). A Comparison of Children’s Narrative Expressions in Enactment and Writing. ALGORITHMS AND DATA STRUCTURES, PROCEEDINGS. Interactive Storytelling. 125-130. Springer International Publishing.
- Brown, S. A., Chu, S. L., Quek, F., Canaday, P., Li, Q., Loustau, T., Wu, S., & Zhang, L. (2019). Towards a Gesture-Based Story Authoring System: Design Implications from Feature Analysis of Iconic Gestures During Storytelling. ALGORITHMS AND DATA STRUCTURES, PROCEEDINGS. Interactive Storytelling. 364-373. Springer International Publishing.
- Berman, A., Gottumukkala, L., Huo, Z., Polsley, S., Quek, F., & Hammond, T. (2019). iCanTrace: Avatar Personalization Through Selfie Sketches. Hammond, T., Prasad, M., & Stepanova, A. (Eds.), Inspiring Students with Digital Ink: Impact of Pen and Touch on Education. 163-180. Springer International Publishing.
- Chan, A., Quek, F., Yamauchi, T., & Seo, J. H. (2021). Co-Verbal Touch: Enriching Video Telecommunications with Remote Touch Technology. Proceedings of the 2021 International Conference on Multimodal Interaction, ICMI '21: INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON MULTIMODAL INTERACTION. 186-194.
- Thakare, K., Okundaye, O., Li, Q., Natarajarathinam, M., Chu, S. L., Kuttolamadom, M., & Quek, F. (2021). Design and Development of a Horizontal CTE Curriculum to Prepare Students for the New Manufacturing Economy (Work in Progress). 2021 ASEE Virtual Annual Conference Content Access Proceedings, 2021 ASEE Virtual Annual Conference Content Access.
- Zarei, N., Quek, F., Chu, S. L., & Brown, S. A. (2021). Towards Designing Enactment-Scaffolded Narrative Authoring Tools for Elementary-School Children. Interaction Design and Children, IDC '21: Interaction Design and Children. 387-395.
- Berman, A., Thakare, K., Howell, J., Quek, F., & Kim, J. (2021). HowDIY: Towards Meta-Design Tools to Support Anyone to 3D Print Anywhere. 26th International Conference on Intelligent User Interfaces, IUI '21: 26th International Conference on Intelligent User Interfaces. 491-503.
- Okundaye, O., Chu, S., Quek, F., Berman, A., Hordemann, G., Powell, L., & Yang, L. (2020). Telepresence Robotics for Hands-on Distance Instruction. Proceedings of the 11th Nordic Conference on Human-Computer Interaction: Shaping Experiences, Shaping Society, NordiCHI '20: Shaping Experiences, Shaping Society. 1-11.
- Okundaye Jr., Osazuwa John (2017-08). Use, Non-Use, and Appropriation of Large Non-Interactive Public Displays in Higher Education Contexts. (Master's Thesis)
- Sridharamurthy, Kumar (2015-12). Design Guidelines for the Development of Motion Capture System for Elementary School Classroom Integration. (Master's Thesis)
- Bhangaonkar, Sourabh Suhas (2015-12). Effect of Narrative Structures on Sensemaking. (Master's Thesis)
- Chu Yew Yee, Sharon Lynn (2015-05). Performative Authoring: Nurturing Children's Creativity and Creative Self-Efficacy through Digitally-Augmented Enactment-Based Storytelling. (Doctoral Dissertation)