The laboratory focuses on understanding the molecular basis of cell signaling, and how aberrant cell signaling leads to birth defects and causes cancers. Using in vitro cell culture systems and in vivo mouse models, we study how the fibroblast growth factor (FGF) activates its receptor (FF) tyrosine kinase, and how the activated FF transmits the signals to downstream targets and regulates proliferation, differentiation, homeostasis, and function of the cells, as well as in organogenesis and development, including prostate and cardiovascular system development. The laboratory also employs molecular biology, cell biology, and mouse genetic technologies to study how aberrant FGF signals promote tumor initiation, progression, and metastasis. In addition, how environmental factors contribute to tumorigenesis and congenital birth defects by modulating FGF signal intensity and specificity is also under the scope of our research interests.
- Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States), Postdoctoral Training 1996
- Ph.D. in Biochemistry, Clarkson University - (Potsdam, New York, United States) 1994
- M.S. in Cell Biology, Xiamen University - (Amoy, Fujian, China) 1985
- B.S. in Microbiology, Xiamen University - (Amoy, Fujian, China) 1982
- Ji, S., Liu, Q., Zhang, S., Chen, Q., Wang, C., Zhang, W., ... Zhou, D. (2019). FGF15 Activates Hippo Signaling to Suppress Bile Acid Metabolism and Liver Tumorigenesis. Developmental Cell. 48(4), 460-+.
- Hu, Q., Wang, C., Liu, F., He, J., Wang, F., Wang, W., & You, P. (2019). High serum levels of FGF21 are decreased in bipolar mania patients during psychotropic medication treatment and are associated with increased metabolism disturbance. Psychiatry Research. 272, 643-648.
- Riaz, S. K., Ke, Y., Wang, F., Kayani, M. A., & Malik, M. (2019). Influence of SHH/GLI1 axis on EMT mediated migration and invasion of breast cancer cells. SCIENTIFIC REPORTS. 9(1), 6620.
- Wang, C., Liu, Z., Ke, Y., & Wang, F. (2019). Intrinsic FGFR2 and Ectopic FGFR1 Signaling in the Prostate and Prostate Cancer. Front Genet. 10(JAN), 12.
- Li, H., Mao, Y., Bouaziz, M., Yu, H., Qu, X., Wang, F., ... Zhang, X. (2019). Lens differentiation is controlled by the balance between PDGF and FGF signaling. PLoS Biol. 17(2), e3000133-e3000133.
- Wang, F., Luo, Y., & McKeehan, W. L. (2015). The FGF signaling axis in prostate tumorigenesis. Molecular Oncology: Causes of Cancer and Targets for Treatment. (pp. 190-203). Cambridge University Press.
- Wang, F., McKeehan, W. L., Shen, M. M., & Abate-Shen, C. (2011). Genetically engineered mouse models in prostate cancer research. Recent Advances in Prostate Cancer: Basic Science Discoveries and Clinical Advances. (pp. 219-282). World Scientific.
- McKeehan, W. L., Wang, F., & Luo, Y. (2010). The fibroblast growth factor (fgf) signaling complex. Handbook of Cell Signaling, 2/e. (pp. 253-259). Elsevier.
- Wang, F., & McKeehan, W. L. (2003). The Fibroblast Growth Factor (FGF) Signaling Complex. Handbook of Cell Signaling. (pp. 265-270). Elsevier.
- Li, X., Nairn, A., Nagy, T., Wang, F., Yamaguchi, Y. u., Moremen, K., & Wang, L. (2013). Heparan Sulfate Is Required For Prostate Cancer Initiation And Progression. Glycobiology. 23(11), 1345-1345.
- Ho, T. H., Warneke, C. L., Hoang, A., Tamboli, P., Wang, F., & Jonasch, E. (2013). The role of FGF signaling in VEGF-pathway targeted therapy resistance: Data from patients and model systems. JOURNAL OF CLINICAL ONCOLOGY. 31(6), 386-386.
- Tien, J. C., Liu, Z., Gao, L. i., Wang, F., & Xu, J. (2012). SRC-3 is a critical mediator in the development of castration-resistant prostate cancer. CANCER RESEARCH. 72,
- Ho, T. H., Wang, F., Hoang, A., Tamboli, P., & Jonasch, E. (2011). Fibroblast growth factor receptor 1 (FGFR1) expression and activation in clear cell renal cell carcinoma (ccRCC).. JOURNAL OF CLINICAL ONCOLOGY. 29(15), e15015-e15015.
- Kwon, O., Ito, M., Yang, Z., Wang, F., Ornitz, D. M., & Cotsarelis, G. (2009). Fibroblast growth factor 9 from dendritic epidermal T cells promotes hair follicle neogenesis after wounding in adult skin. JOURNAL OF INVESTIGATIVE DERMATOLOGY. 129, S104-S104.