Dr. Clough's scholarship focuses on the history and nature of science and its implications for science teaching and learning. His publications appear in Research in Science Education, Science & Education, International Journal of Science and Mathematics Education, Science Education, Journal of Science Teacher Education, Journal of Research in Science Teaching, and science teaching practitioner journals. He is a former president of the International History, Philosophy and Science Teaching (IHPST) organization, served as an Associate Editor of the Journal for Research in Science Teaching, and currently serves on the editorial board member for the journal Science & Education and as Editor for the Springer book series Science: Philosophy, History and Education. He is the principal investigator of a National Science Foundation funded project (https://storybehindthescience.org/) that has created short historical science stories for post-secondary introductory science courses. These efforts reflect his desire to help science teachers at all levels understand the nature of science and its significant implications for science teaching and learning, and informed decision-making.
- Herman, B. C., Clough, M. P., & Rao, A. (2022). Socioscientific Issues Thinking and Action in the Midst of Science-in-the-Making.. Sci Educ (Dordr). 1-35.
- Olson, A. R., & Clough, M. P. (2021). An Attachment Point for Meaningful Musculoskeletal Learning. The American Biology Teacher. 83(9), 589-593.
- Pleasants, J., Clough, M. P., Olson, J. K., & Miller, G. (2019). Fundamental Issues Regarding the Nature of Technology. Science & Education. 28(3-5), 561-597.
- Herman, B. C., Olson, J. K., & Clough, M. P. (2019). The Role of Informal Support Networks in Teaching the Nature of Science. Research in Science Education. 49(1), 191-218.
- Clough, M. P. (2018). Teaching and Learning About the Nature of Science. Science & Education. 27(1-2), 1-5.
- Clough, M. P., & Olson, J. K. (2016). Final Commentary: Connecting Science and Engineering Practices: A Cautionary Perspective. Connecting Science and Engineering Education Practices in Meaningful Ways. 373-385. Springer International Publishing.
- Olson, J. K., & Clough, M. P. (2013). A Cautionary Note. The Nature of Technology. 189-200. SensePublishers.
- Olson, J. K., Clough, M. P., & Penning, K. A. (2013). Social Networking Technology and Societal Expectations for Teachers as Role Models. The Nature of Technology. 129-162. SensePublishers.