Understanding how the target cells \"interpret\" hormonal signals is the primary focus of our laboratory.Most of our research centers on regulation of steroid hormone-transduced signals. One area of study is the calcium-dependent regulation of glucocorticoid and androgen receptor-mediated transcription. A second major area of interest concerns glucocorticoid and steroid sex hormone regulation of nitric oxide (NO) production. Other areas of interest in our laboratory are: development of androgen-independence in prostate cancer; stress responses in PMCA1(-) cell lines; and the involvement of NO in dry eye syndrome.
- Wang, H., DuBois, D. W., Tobery, A. N., Griffith, W. H., Brandt, P., & Frye, G. D. (2013). Long-lasting distortion of GABA signaling in MS/DB neurons after binge-like ethanol exposure during initial synaptogenesis. Brain Res. 1520, 36-50.
- Browning, J. L., Patel, T., Brandt, P. C., Young, K. A., Holcomb, L. A., & Hicks, P. B. (2005). Clozapine and the mitogen-activated protein kinase signal transduction pathway: Implications for antipsychotic actions. Biol Psychiatry. 57(6), 617-623.
- Beauregard, C., & Brandt, P. C. (2004). Down regulation of interleukin-1 beta-induced nitric oxide production in lacrimal gland acinar cells by sex steroids. Current Eye Research. 29(1), 59-66.
- Brandt, P. C., & Vanaman, T. C. (2004). Studies of calmodulin-dependent regulation.. Methods in molecular biology (Clifton, N.J.). 284, 111-127.
- Beauregard, C., Brandt, P. C., & Chiou, G. (2003). Induction of nitric oxide synthase and over-production of nitric oxide by interleukin-1 beta in cultured lacrimal gland acinar cells. Experimental Eye Research. 77(1), 109-114.
- Brandt, P. C., & Vanaman, T. C. (2012). Calmodulin and Ion Flux Regulation. Calmodulin and Signal Transduction. (pp. 397-471). Elsevier.
- Brandt, P. C. (1998). Calmodulin Regulated Ion Transport Systems\". Van Eldik, L. J., & Watterson, D. M. (Eds.), Calmodulin and Signal Transduction. (pp. 397-471). Academic Press.
- Franks, J. J., Wamil, A. W., Janicki, P. K., Horn, J. L., Franks, W. T., Janson, V. E., Vanaman, T. C., & Brandt, P. C. (1998). Anesthetic-induced alteration of Ca2+ homeostasis in neural cells - A temperature-sensitive process that is enhanced by blockade of plasma membrane Ca2+-ATPase isoforms. ANESTHESIOLOGY. 89(1), 149-164.