Genetic and genomic studies of important traits of wheat in the US Great Plains. Traits include drought and heat tolerance, resistance to diseases (leaf, stem and stripe rust, wheat streak mosaic virus), and arthropods (greenbug, Russian wheat aphid, hessian fly, and wheat curl mite) as well as good end-use quality. Both traditional and molecular breeding techniques are used to develop germplasm lines with one or more target traits. Genomic techniques include gene/QTL mapping, molecular marker identification, validation and utilization, high throughput KASP SNP screening, and gene cloning. Gene functional analysis will be used to understand and improve those target traits.
1. Genetic mapping and genomics studies of QTL for yield, yield components under dry and irrigated conditions, and other traits in adapted cultivars; Study drought tolerance through transcriptomics of water stressed wheat plants.
2. Developing germplasm lines with multiple favorable alleles with drought tolerance, insect and wheat streak mosaic virus resistances using high throughput and diagnostic KASP SNP.
3. Cloning of greenbug resistance gene, identification of candidate genes through molecular techniques.
- Ph.D. in Plant Breeding and Genetics, University of Missouri - (Columbia, Missouri, United States) 2003
- M.S. in Plant Breeding and Genetics, Colorado State University - (Fort Collins, Colorado, United States) 1998
- B.S. in Crop Science, Sjogren's Syndrome Foundation - (Bethesda, Maryland, United States) 1988
- Yang, Y., Basnet, B. R., Ibrahim, A., Rudd, J. C., Chen, X., Bowden, R. L., ... Liu, S. (2019). Developing KASP Markers on a Major Stripe Rust Resistance QTL in a Popular Wheat TAM 111 Using 90K Array and Genotyping-by-Sequencing SNPs. CROP SCIENCE. 59(1), 165-175.
- Mahmoudi, T. R., Yu, J. M., Liu, S., Pierson, L. S., & Pierson, E. A. (2019). Drought-Stress Tolerance in Wheat Seedlings Conferred by Phenazine-Producing Rhizobacteria. Frontiers in Microbiology. 10(JULY), 1590.
- Nyine, M., Wang, S., Kiani, K., Jordan, K., Liu, S., Byrne, P., ... Akhunov, E. (2019). Genotype Imputation in Winter Wheat Using First-Generation Haplotype Map SNPs Improves Genome-Wide Association Mapping and Genomic Prediction of Traits.. G3 (Bethesda, Md.). 9(1), 125-133.
- Thapa, S., Rudd, J. C., Xue, Q., Bhandari, M., Reddy, S. K., Jessup, K. E., ... Baker, S. (2019). Use of NDVI for characterizing winter wheat response to water stress in a semi-arid environment. Journal of Crop Improvement. 33(5), 633-648.
- Olanrewaju, S., Rajan, N., Ibrahim, A., Rudd, J. C., Liu, S., Sui, R., Jessup, K. E., & Xue, Q. (2019). Using aerial imagery and digital photography to monitor growth and yield in winter wheat. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF REMOTE SENSING. 40(18), 6905-6929.
- Xue, Q., Rudd, J., Bell, J., Marek, T., & Liu, S. (2016). Improving water management in winter wheat. Langridge, P. (Eds.), Achieving Sustainable Cultivation of Wheat Volume 2 Cultivation Techniques. (pp. 63-84). Burleigh Dodds Science Publishing Limited.
- Liu, S., Yu, K., & Park, S. J. (2014). Marker-assisted breeding for resistance to common bacterial blight in common bean. Huttunen, N., & Sinisalo, T. (Eds.), Plant Breeding. (pp. 211-226). Nova Science Publishers.
- Dhakal, Smit (2018-12). Genetic Dissection of Grain Yield, Agronomic Traits and End-Use Quality in Texas Wheat Using Linkage and Association Study. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Yang, Yan (2018-08). Characterization of Yield and Yield Components Using Bi-Parental and Association Mapping of Texas Popular Cultivars and Synthetic Wheat. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Ocheya, Silvano Assanga (2016-08). Genetic Mapping and Phenotypic Characterization of Wheat for Yield, Yield Components and Agronomic Traits. (Doctoral Dissertation)