Dr Puppala has been conducting research on stabilization of expansive soils, ground improvement works for mega projects, UAVs for infrastructure monitoring studies and asset management studies, dam safety and embankments slope studies, in situ intrusive methods for site characterization, infrastructure resilience and material characterization studies. Dr. Puppala has been a recipient of several major research grants totaling over 25+ Millions of dollars from federal, state and local government agencies. Dr. Puppala is the director of NSF's Industry University Co-operative Research Center (IUCRC) site on Composites in Civil Infrastructure (CICI) at TAMU. He has been serving as a program director of TRANSET, a University Transportation Center (UTC) based in LSU. Dr. Puppala's research scholarly record included 500+ publications including 220+ Journals and has edited seven special publications. He has supervised 42 Doctoral and 52 Masters' thesis students and is currently advising 9 doctoral students and three postdoctoral fellows. Dr. Puppala is an editorial member for several major journals in Civil Engineering including ASCE Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, ASCE Journal of Materials, ASTM Geotechnical Testing Journal and edited several books including seven ASCE Special Publications. He has given several major keynote and invited talks all over the World including a recent prestigious ASCE GI's Ralph Peck keynote lecture in 2020 GeoCongress Meeting held at Minneapolis, Minnesota.
- Ph.D. in Civil Engineering, Louisiana State University - (Baton Rouge, Louisiana, United States) 1993
- M.Tech. in Civil Engineering, Indian Institute of Technology Madras - (Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India) 1987
- Li, W., Yi, Y., & Puppala, A. J. (2022). Comparing carbide sludge-ground granulated blastfurnace slag and ordinary Portland cement: Different findings from binder paste and stabilized clay slurry. Construction and Building Materials. 126382-126382.
- Liu, X., Congress, S., Cai, G., Liu, L., Liu, S., Puppala, A. J., & Zhang, W. (2022). Development and validation of a method to predict the soil thermal conductivity using thermal piezocone penetration testing (T-CPTU). Canadian Geotechnical Journal. 59(4), 510-525.
- Mosadegh, L., Chakraborty, S., & Puppala, A. J. (2022). Effect of geomaterial variability on seismic response analyses of earthen dams. Engineering Geology. 106513-106513.
- Puppala, A. J., Madhyannapu, R. S., & Nazarian, S. (2022). Full-Scale Field Studies to Evaluate Deep Soil Mixing in Stabilizing Expansive Soils. Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering. (1), 04021163.
- Chakraborty, S., Puppala, A. J., & Biswas, N. (2022). Role of crystalline silica admixture in mitigating ettringite-induced heave in lime-treated sulfate-rich soils. Gotechnique. 72(5), 438-454.
- Biswas, N., Khan, M. A., Banerjee, A., Puppala, A. J., & Chakraborty, S. (2022). Application of Wicking Geotextile for Pavement Infrastructure on Expansive Soil. Lecture Notes in Civil Engineering. 533-544. Springer International Publishing.
- Khan, M. A., Biswas, N., Banerjee, A., Congress, S., & Puppala, A. J. (2022). Effectiveness of Double-Layer HDPE Geocell System to Reinforce Reclaimed Asphalt Pavement (RAP)-Base Layer. Lecture Notes in Civil Engineering. 593-604. Springer International Publishing.
- Biswas, N., Chakraborty, S., Puppala, A. J., & Banerjee, A. (2021). A Novel Method to Improve the Durability of Lime-Treated Expansive Soil. Lecture Notes in Civil Engineering. 227-238. Springer Singapore.
- Banerjee, A., Puppala, A. J., Congress, S., Chakraborty, S., & Pedarla, A. (2021). Recent Advancements in Predicting the Behaviour of Unsaturated and Expansive Soils. Lecture Notes in Civil Engineering. 1-21. Springer Singapore.
- Puppala, A. J., & Congress, S. (2020). A Holistic Approach for Visualization of Transportation Infrastructure Assets Using UAV-CRP Technology. Springer Series in Geomechanics and Geoengineering. Information Technology in Geo-Engineering. 3-17. Springer International Publishing.
- Habibzadeh-Bigdarvish, O., Li, T., Lei, G., Banerjee, A., Yu, X., & Puppala, A. J (2022). De-icing Test of the Externally Heated Geothermal Bridge in Texas. ADVANCES IN TRANSPORTATION GEOTECHNICS IV, VOL 3. 166, 261-273.
- Boluk, B., Chakraborty, S., Puppala, A. J., & Jafari, N. H (2022). Inverse Analysis of a Failed Highway Embankment Slope in North Texas. ADVANCES IN TRANSPORTATION GEOTECHNICS IV, VOL 3. 166, 583-594.
- Ruttanaporamakul, P., Rout, R. K., Puppala, A. J., & Pedarla, A. (2022). Resilient Behaviors of Compacted and Unsaturated Subgrade Materials. Geo-Congress 2014 Technical Papers, Geo-Congress 2014. 1396-1405.
- Patil, U. D., Hoyos, L. R., & Puppala, A. J. (2022). Suitable Shearing Rate for Triaxial Testing of Intermediate Soils under Vapor Controlled Medium to High Suction Range. IFCEE 2015, IFCEE 2015. 2141-2150.
- Congress, S., Puppala, A. J., Kumar, P., & Patil, U. D. (2021). Assessment of Pavement Geometric Characteristics Using UAV-CRP Data. International Conference on Transportation and Development 2021, International Conference on Transportation and Development 2021. 332-343.