My laboratory is interested in the regulatory interfaces between novel lipid-mediated signal transduction pathways and important cellular functions. The focus of our work is the phosphatidylinositol/ phosphatidylcholine transfer proteins (PITPs), a ubiquitous but enigmatic class of proteins. Ongoing projects in the laboratory derive from a multidisciplinary approach that encompasses biochemical characterization of novel members of the metazoan PITP family, and the application of genetic, molecular and biophysical approaches to detailed structural and functional analyses of PITPs.
- California Institute of Technology - (Pasadena, California, United States), Postdoctoral Training 1986
- Ph.D. in Microbiology, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill - (Chapel Hill, North Carolina, United States) 1984
- M.S. in Microbiology, Clemson University - (Clemson, South Carolina, United States) 1980
- B.S. in Biology, Edinboro University - (Edinboro, Pennsylvania, United States) 1978
- Bankaitis, V. A., & Wang, Y. (2020). Lipoprotein Lipase Sorting: Sphingomyelin and a Proteoglycan Show the Way. Trends Cell Biol. 30(3), 170-172.
- Wang, Y., Mousley, C. J., Lete, M. G., & Bankaitis, V. A. (2019). An equal opportunity collaboration between lipid metabolism and proteins in the control of membrane trafficking in the trans-Golgi and endosomal systems. Curr Opin Cell Biol. 59, 58-72.
- Tripathi, A., Martinez, E., Obaidullah, A. J., Lete, M. G., Lonnfors, M., Khan, D., ... Bankaitis, V. A. (2019). Functional Diversification of the Chemical Landscapes of Yeast Sec14-like Phosphatidylinositol Transfer Protein Lipid-Binding Cavities. JOURNAL OF BIOLOGICAL CHEMISTRY. 294(50), 19081-+.
- Aziz, M., Wang, X., Tripathi, A., Bankaitis, V. A., & Chapman, K. D. (2019). Structural analysis of a plant fatty acid amide hydrolase provides insights into the evolutionary diversity of bioactive acylethanolamides. JOURNAL OF BIOLOGICAL CHEMISTRY. 294(18), 7419-7432.
- Bankaitis, V. A., & Carman, G. M. (2019). The Role of Phosphoinositides in Signaling and Disease: Introduction to the Thematic Review Series.. The Journal of Lipid Research. 60(2), 227-228.
- Davison, J. M., Bankaitis, V. A., & Ghosh, R. (2012). Devising powerful genetics, biochemical and structural tools in the functional analysis of phosphatidylinositol transfer proteins (PITPs) across diverse species.. Methods Cell Biol. Methods in Cell Biology. (pp. 249-302). Elsevier.
- McGee, T. P., Fung, M., & Bankaitis, V. A. (1993). Genetic studies on the functions of membrane-forming phospholipids. Protein-Lipid Interactions. (pp. 163-190). Elsevier.
- Bankaitis, V. A., Ryan, J. P., Rasmussen, B. A., & Bassford, P. J. (1985). The Use of Genetic Techniques to Analyze Protein Export in Escherichia coli. Current Topics in Membranes and Transport. (pp. 105-150). Elsevier.