My area of emphasis is in health and safety. My research interests focus on adolescent health, cancer control and prevention, health disparities, HIV/AIDS, and rural health.
education and training
- Spears, E. C., Guidry, J. J., & Harvey, I. S. (2018). Measuring Type 2 diabetes mellitus knowledge and perceptions of risk in middle-class African Americans.. HEALTH EDUCATION RESEARCH. 33(1), 55-63.
- Bonner, T., Guidry, J., & Jackson, Z. (2018). Association between Foot Care Knowledge and Practices among African Americans with Type 2 Diabetes: An Exploratory Pilot Study. JOURNAL OF THE NATIONAL MEDICAL ASSOCIATION.
- Hall, M. B., Eden, T. M., Bess, J. J., Landrine, H., Corral, I., Guidry, J. J., & Efird, J. T. (2017). Rural Shop-Based Health Program Planning: a Formative Research Approach Among Owners. Journal of racial and ethnic health disparities. 4(3), 507-514.
- Diep, C. S., Foster, M. J., McKyer, E., Goodson, P., Guidry, J. J., & Liew, J. (2015). What are Asian-American Youth Consuming? A Systematic Literature Review. J Immigr Minor Health. 17(2), 591-604.
- Hall, M. B., Carter-Francique, A. R., Lloyd, S. M., Eden, T. M., Zuniga, A. V., Guidry, J. J., & Jones, L. A. (2015). Bias within: Examining the role of cultural competence perceptions in Mammography Adherence. SAGE OPEN. 5(1), 215824401557654-215824401557654.
- Zuniga, A. V., Carter-Francique, A. R., Lloyd, S. M., Hall, M. B., Guidry, J. J., & Jones, L. A. (2014). The Influence of Culture on Fears and Misconceptions of Preventative Breast Health Services Among Hispanic/Latina Women: A Qualitative Analysis. J Womens Health (Larchmt). 23(4), 40-40.
- Zuniga, A. V., & Guidry, J. J. (2014). The Interconceptional Maternal and Child Health Needs of Latina and African American Women: A Qualitative Study. J Womens Health (Larchmt). 23(4), 40-41.
- Guidry, J. J., Torrence, W., & Herbelin, S. (2005). Closing the divide: Diverse populations and cancer survivorship. CANCER. 104(11), 2577-2583.
- Guidry, J. J., Matthews-Juarez, P., & Copeland, V. A. (2003). Barriers to breast cancer control for African-American women: the interdependence of culture and psychosocial issues.. CANCER. 97(1 Suppl), 318-323.
recent teaching activities
chaired theses and dissertations
- Bentley, Kimberly Marie (2013-12). Opening the Pipeline for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics Health Education: Perceptions of Teacher Preparatory Program Participants. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Hall, Marla (2012-05). Evaluation of Cultural Competence and Health Disparities Knowledge and Skill Sets of Public Health Department Staff. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Rowell, Kyrel Lashea (2007-05). Investigating factors associated with suicide and antecedent behavior among African American males: a quest to preserve life. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Copeland, Valerie Anne (2006-12). Factors that influence follow-up after an abnormal mammogram. (Doctoral Dissertation)
Texas A&M University; Health And Kinesiology; 4243 TAMU
College Station, TX 77843-4243