Research duties include development of superior germplasm/cultivars which will enhance the productivity, improve the product quality, and/or decrease production costs associate with cotton production in Texas. Primary research sites in Texas are College Station, Weslaco, Corpus Christi, Thrall, and Chillicothe, as well as colleagues at Lubbock. Primary geographical areas of responsibilities are central and south Texas with secondary goals aimed at all cotton producing areas of Texas and the United States.
- Thompson, C. N., Hendon, B. R., Mishra, D., Rieff, J. M., Lowery, C. C., Lambert, K. C., ... Auld, D. L. (2019). Cotton (Gossypium hirsutum L.) mutants with reduced levels of palmitic acid (C16:0) in seed lipids. Euphytica. 215(6),
- Smith, C. W., Hequet, E. F., Hague, S., & Jones, D. (2018). Elite fiber quality germplasm lines of upland cotton: TAM 11K-13 ELSU, TAM 11T-08 ELSU-ESU, and TAM 11L-24 LSU. Journal of Plant Registrations. 12(1), 112-117.
- Zhang, M., Liu, Y. H., Chang, C. S., Zhi, H., Wang, S., Xu, W., Smith, C. W., & Zhang, H. B. (2018). Quantification of gene expression while taking into account RNA alternative splicing. GENOMICS. 111(6), 1517-1528.
- Smith, C. W., Hague, S., Hequet, E., & Jones, D. C. (2018). Registration of â€˜Tamcot G11' upland cotton cultivar. Journal of Plant Registrations. 12(1), 7-12.
- Hugie, K. L., Smith, C. W., Joy, K. S., & Jones, D. C. (2017). Divergent selection for fiber length and bundle strength and correlated responses in cotton. CROP SCIENCE. 57(1), 99-107.
- Characterizing New Accessions of Cotton Germplasm- awarded by USDA - Agricultural Research Service 2017 - 2020
- Hugie, Kari L. (2015-12). Evaluation of Conventional and Marker-Assisted Breeding Methods for the Improvement of Fiber Quality in Gossypium spp.. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Meritt, Benjamin Tyler (2014-12). Transgressive Segregation for Fiber Properties of Three Selected Populations in Cotton. (Master's Thesis)
- Liu, Yun Hua (2014-08). Molecular Basis of Quantitative Genetics Revealed by Cloning and Analysis of 474 Genes Controlling Fiber Length in Cotton. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Jones, Whitney M (2014-05). Single Plant Selection as a Screening Method for Resistance to Rhizoctonia solani and Pythium ultimum in Cotton. (Master's Thesis)
- Joy, Kolbyn Seth (2014-05). Inheritance of Cotton Fiber Length and Strength. (Doctoral Dissertation)