Dr. Whitcomb is actively involved in damage mechanics of composite materials. The broad goal is to develop analytical models to explain the response of composites to static and fatigue loads. He is also involved in predicting non-mechanical behaviors, such as moisture diffusion and permeability to cryogenic fuels. Ultimately, the goal is to predict the response of potential composite structures without the need for extensive experimental effort. The analytical models range from simple closed form analyses to fully three dimensional nonlinear finite element analyses.
- Ph.D. in Materials Engineering Science, Virginia Tech - (Blacksburg, Virginia, United States) 1988
- M.S. in Mechanical Engineering, Stanford University - (Stanford, California, United States) 1976
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, North Carolina State University - (Raleigh, North Carolina, United States) 1973
- Keith Ballard, M., & Whitcomb, J. D. (2019). Stress analysis of a plain orthogonally woven textile composite under tension along the warp direction. Journal of Composite Materials. 53(20), 2809-2829.
- Ballard, M. K., & Whitcomb, J. D. (2019). Effect of heterogeneity at the fiber–matrix scale on predicted free-edge stresses for a [0°/90°]s laminated composite subjected to uniaxial tension. Journal of Composite Materials. 53(5), 625-639.
- McLendon, W. R., & Whitcomb, J. D (2017). Characteristic progressive damage modes in a plain weave textile composite under multiaxial loads. Journal of Composite Materials. 51(11), 1539-1556.
- Ballard, M. K., McLendon, W. R., & Whitcomb, J. D (2014). The influence of microstructure randomness on prediction of fiber properties in composites. Journal of Composite Materials. 48(29), 3605-3620.
- McLendon, W. R., & Whitcomb, J. D (2013). Characteristic failure initiation sites in plain weave textile composites. Journal of Composite Materials. 47(25), 3143-3161.
- Ballard, M. K., & Whitcomb, J. D. (2018). Stress analysis of 3D textile composites using high performance computing: new insights and challenges. IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering. 406(1), 012004-012004.
- (2018). Multiscale Analysis of Interlaminar Stresses Near a Free-Edge in a [±45/0/90]s Laminate. 2018 AIAA/ASCE/AHS/ASC Structures, Structural Dynamics, and Materials Conference, 2018 AIAA/ASCE/AHS/ASC Structures, Structural Dynamics, and Materials Conference. (210049),
- (2017). Analysis of three-dimensional woven composites. ICCM International Conferences on Composite Materials. 2017-August,
- Wescott, M., McQuien, J. S., Bertagne, C. L., Whitcomb, J. D., Hartl, D. J., & Erickson, L (2017). Design and Fabrication of a Composite Morphing Radiator Panel Using High Conductivity Fibers. 25th AIAA/AHS Adaptive Structures Conference, 25th AIAA/AHS Adaptive Structures Conference.
- (2017). Development and testing of a shape memory alloy-driven composite morphing radiator. ASM International - International Conference on Shape Memory and Superelastic Technologies, SMST 2017. 2017-May, 187-188.
- Chapates, Patrick John (2019-05). Investigation of the Interaction Between a Human Index Finger and Spacesuit Glove. (Master's Thesis)
- McQuien, Jeffrey Scott (2017-05). Evaluation of Independent Mesh Modeling for Textile Composites. (Master's Thesis)
- Bertagne, Christopher Lionel (2016-08). Experimental Evaluation of an Analysis Framework for Simulating the Coupled Behavior of Shape Memory Alloy-Based Morphing Radiators. (Master's Thesis)
- Ballard, Michael Keith (2014-08). Improvement of a Multiscale Framework for the Analysis of Composite Materials. (Master's Thesis)
- Maxwell, Kevin S (2013-12). Computational Analysis of Carbon Nanotube Networks in Multifunctional Polymer Nanocomposites. (Doctoral Dissertation)