My current research is focused on understanding how chemical compounds mediate interactions among plants, insect herbivores, and herbivore natural enemies. More specifically, my lab is investigating how plants and insect herbivores use chemical information from their environment to assess their risk of attack.
- Ray, S., Helms, A. M., Matulis, N. L., Davidson-Lowe, E., Grisales, W., & Ali, J. G. (2020). Asymmetry in Herbivore Effector Responses: Caterpillar Frass Effectors Reduce Performance of a Subsequent Herbivore. JOURNAL OF CHEMICAL ECOLOGY. 46(1), 76-83.
- Esquivel, J. F., Glover, J. P., Brewer, M. J., Helms, A. M., Ree, W. O., Shirley, X. A., & Bell, A. A. (2020). Expansion of Geographical Range and Plant Associations of Leptoglossus clypealis: a Potential Invasive Pest of Sorghum along the Texas Gulf Coast. Southwestern Entomologist. 45(1), 1-15.
- Grunseich, J. M., Thompson, M. N., Aguirre, N. M., & Helms, A. M. (2020). The Role of Plant-Associated Microbes in Mediating Host-Plant Selection by Insect Herbivores. Plants (Basel). 9(1), 6-6.
- Helms, A. M., Ray, S., Matulis, N. L., Kuzemchak, M. C., Grisales, W., Tooker, J. F., & Ali, J. G. (2019). Chemical cues linked to risk: Cues from below-ground natural enemies enhance plant defences and influence herbivore behaviour and performance. FUNCTIONAL ECOLOGY. 33(5), 798-808.
- Yip, E. C., Sowers, R. P., Helms, A. M., Mescher, M. C., De Moraes, C. M., & Tooker, J. F. (2019). Trade-offs between defenses against herbivores in goldenrod (Solidago altissima). ARTHROPOD-PLANT INTERACTIONS. 13(2), 279-287.