My research focuses on developing neuronal and behavioral models of mild cognitive impairment and early stages of Alzheimer's' Disease. AD is complex and multifaceted, and my goal is to uncover early aspects of the disease pathway in hopes of achieving prevention of further decline.
One aspect of the pathway that is promising in terms of resulting in a successful treatment for AD is to treat the loss of functional synapses. Loss of plasticity and synaptic transmission is one of the earliest hallmarks of AD and one of the best correlates of cognitive dysfunction in aging. It is virtually impossible for this to be studied in humans, and thus little progress has been made in developing therapeutics to resurrect synaptic function. We have developed a mouse model of age-related cognitive impairment in which we can use light (optogenetics) in order to uncover the faulty synaptic mechanisms that promote cognitive dysfunction observed in aging and early AD.
- Texas A&M Health Science Center - (College Station, Texas, United States), Postdoctoral Training 2015
- Ph.D. in Neuroscience, University of Florida - (Gainesville, Florida, United States) 2012
- Baylor College of Medicine - (Houston, Texas, United States), Postdoctoral Training 2012
- B.Sc. in Biochemistry, Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States) 2005
- A.S. in Mathematics, San Jacinto College - (Pasadena, Texas, United States) 2003
- Panta, A., Montgomery, K., Nicolas, M., Mani, K. K., Sampath, D., & Sohrabji, F. (2020). Mir363-3p Treatment Attenuates Long-Term Cognitive Deficits Precipitated by an Ischemic Stroke in Middle-Aged Female Rats. Frontiers in Aging Neuroscience. 12, 586362.
- Montgomery, K. S., Bancroft, E. A., Fincher, A. S., Migut, E. A., Provasek, V., Murchison, D., & DuBois, D. W. (2018). Effects of ethanol and varenicline on female Sprague-Dawley rats in a third trimester model of fetal alcohol syndrome. ALCOHOL. 71, 75-87.
- Montgomery, K. S., Edwards, G., Levites, Y., Kumar, A., Myers, C. E., Gluck, M. A., Setlow, B., & Bizon, J. L. (2016). Deficits in hippocampal‐dependent transfer generalization learning accompany synaptic dysfunction in a mouse model of amyloidosis. Hippocampus. 26(4), 455-471.
- Simon, N. W., Beas, B. S., Montgomery, K. S., Haberman, R. P., Bizon, J. L., & Setlow, B. (2013). Prefrontal cortical–striatal dopamine receptor mRNA expression predicts distinct forms of impulsivity. EUROPEAN JOURNAL OF NEUROSCIENCE. 37(11), 1779-1788.
- Bañuelos, C., Gilbert, R. J., Montgomery, K. S., Fincher, A. S., Wang, H., Frye, G. D., Setlow, B., & Bizon, J. L. (2012). Altered spatial learning and delay discounting in a rat model of human third trimester binge ethanol exposure. BEHAVIOURAL PHARMACOLOGY. 23(1), 54-65.
- Montgomery, K. S., Provasek, V. E., Migut, E. A., Bancroft, E. A., Fincher, A. S., & DuBois, D. W. (2016). GENDER SPECIFIC EFFECTS OF ETHANOL AND VARENICLINE IN A THIRD TRIMESTER MODEL OF FASD. ALCOHOLISM-CLINICAL AND EXPERIMENTAL RESEARCH. 40, 156A-156A.