My research interests include electric power engineering, power system protection, control and automation of power systems, power systems diagnostics and waveform analytics, forensic engineering, engineering ethics, and engineering professionalism.
education and training
- Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering, University of Oklahoma - (Norman, Oklahoma, United States) 1975
- M.E. in Electrical Engineering, Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States) 1971
- B.S. in Electrical Engineering, Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States) 1970
- Wischkaemper, J. A., Benner, C. L., Russell, B. D., & Manivannan, K. (2015). Application of Waveform Analytics for Improved Situational Awareness of Electric Distribution Feeders. IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid. 6(4), 2041-2049.
- Perera-Lluna, A., Manivannan, K., Xu, P., Gutierrez-Osuna, R., Benner, C., & Russell, B. D. (2014). Automatic capacitor bank identification in power distribution systems. ELECTRIC POWER SYSTEMS RESEARCH. 111, 96-102.
- Russell, B. D., & Benner, C. L. (2010). Intelligent Systems for Improved Reliability and Failure Diagnosis in Distribution Systems. IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid. 1(1), 48-56.
- Babrauskas, V., Fleming, J. M., & Russell, B. D. (2010). RSET/ASET, a flawed concept for fire safety assessment. Fire and Materials. 34(7), 341-355.
- Russell, B. D. (2008). EPSR is on the Move!. ELECTRIC POWER SYSTEMS RESEARCH. 78(1), 1-1.
- Benner, C. L., Peterson, R. A., & Russell, B. D. (2017). Application of DFA Technology for Improved Reliability and Operations. Papers - Rural Electric Power Conference. 44-51.
- Russell, B. D., & Loe, S. (2015). Foreword. 1-1.
- Wischkaemper, J. A., Benner, C. L., Russell, B. D., & Manivannan, K. M. (2014). Waveform analytics-based improvements in situational awareness, feeder visibility, and operational efficiency. 2014 IEEE PES T & D Conference and Exposition. 1-5.
- Russell, B. D., & Loe, S. (2014). Foreword. iii-iii.
- Russell, B. D., Benner, C. L., & Wischkaemper, J. A. (2012). Distribution Feeder Caused Wildfires: Mechanisms and Prevention. 43-51.
awards and honors
- NAI Fellow conferred by National Academy of Inventors - (Tampa, Florida, United States) 2014
recent teaching activities
chaired theses and dissertations
- Hurtado, Lisa Diane (2011-05). An Environmental and Policy Evaluation of Cellulosic Ethanol. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Rengarajan, Janarthanan (2008-12). Operated device estimation framework. (Master's Thesis)
- Li, Jun (2005-12). Methodology for designing the fuzzy resolver for a radial distribution system fault locator. (Doctoral Dissertation)
Texas A&M University; Electrical Engineering; 3128 TAMU
College Station, TX 77843-3128