My research interests focus on the integrative physiology of bone, with specific reference to adaptations to disuse, microgravity, and caloric deficiency.
education and training
- Ph.D. in Exercise Physiology, The Ohio State University - (Columbus, Ohio, United States) 1992
- M.A. in Physical Education, University of Iowa - (Iowa City, Iowa, United States) 1978
- B.A. in Biology, Oberlin College - (Oberlin, Ohio, United States) 1974
- Metzger, C. E., Narayanan, S. A., Zawieja, D. C., & Bloomfield, S. A. (2019). A moderately elevated soy protein diet mitigates inflammatory changes in gut and in bone turnover during chronic TNBS-induced inflammatory bowel disease. Applied Physiology Nutrition and Metabolism. 44(6), 595-605.
- Metzger, C. E., Narayanan, S. A., Elizondo, J. P., Carter, A. M., Zawieja, D. C., Hogan, H. A., & Bloomfield, S. A. (2019). DSS-induced colitis produces inflammation-induced bone loss while irisin treatment mitigates the inflammatory state in both gut and bone. SCIENTIFIC REPORTS. 9(1), 15144.
- Metzger, C. E., Gong, S., Aceves, M., Bloomfield, S. A., & Hook, M. A. (2019). Osteocytes reflect a pro-inflammatory state following spinal cord injury in a rodent model. BONE. 120, 465-475.
- Bokhari, R. S., Metzger, C. E., Black, J. M., Franklin, K. A., Boudreaux, R. D., Allen, M. R., ... Bloomfield, S. A. (2019). Positive impact of low-dose, high-energy radiation on bone in partial- and/or full-weightbearing mice. NPJ MICROGRAVITY. 5(1), 13.
- Metzger, C. E., Swift, S. N., Baek, K., De Souza, M. J., & Bloomfield, S. A. (2018). Fat and Lean Mass Predict Bone Mass During Energy Restriction in Sedentary and Exercising Rodents. Frontiers in Physiology. 9(SEP), 1346.
- Little, S. E., Allaway, H. C., Bokhari, R. S., Seidel, D. V., Wahl, K. L., Turner, N. D., ... Bloomfield, S. A. (2019). Can Acute Galactic Cosmic Radiation-induced Bone Loss Be Mitigated By Dietary Modulation Of Inflammatory Cytokines?. MEDICINE AND SCIENCE IN SPORTS AND EXERCISE. 51(Supplement), 406-406.
- Allaway, H., Little, S. E., Hogan, H. A., & Bloomfield, S. A. (2019). Impact Of Long-acting Reversible Contraceptives On Bone Density During Simulated Microgravity. MEDICINE AND SCIENCE IN SPORTS AND EXERCISE. 51(6), 405-406.
- Metzger, C. E., Narayanan, S. A., Anderson, A. M., Zaweija, D. C., & Bloomfield, S. A. (2018). Exogenous Irisin Treatment Ameliorates Inflammatory Changes in Osteocyte Proteins and Altered Bone Turnover in Chronic DSS-induced Inflammatory Bowel Disease. Journal of Bone and Mineral Research. 33, 382-382.
- Metzger, C. E., Gong, S., Aceves, M., Hook, M. A., & Bloomfield, S. A. (2017). Elevated osteocyte TNF-alpha, IL-6, and sclerostin in a rodent model of spinal cord injury correlates with altered bone turnover.. Journal of Bone and Mineral Research. 32, S239-S239.
- Metzger, C. E., Junior, M., Brezicha, J. E., Hogan, H. A., & Bloomfield, S. A. (2017). Local Adaptations of Osteocyte Proteins to Increased and Decreased Mechanical Forces Correlate with Osteoblast Levels. MEDICINE AND SCIENCE IN SPORTS AND EXERCISE. 49(5), 394-395.
awards and honors
chaired theses and dissertations
- Bokhari, Rihana (2018-08). Skeletal Impacts of Continuous Low-Dose-Rate Gamma Radiation Exposure During Simulated Microgravity. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Metzger, Corinne Elizabeth (2018-05). Inflammatory Bowel Disease and Bone: Mechanisms and Interventions for Inflammation-Induced Bone Alterations. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Marich, Alexandra Marie (2018-05). CONTINUOUS, LOW DOSE IRRADIATION RESULTS IN NO DETRIMENT TO BONE AFTER 4, 12, AND 28 DAYS. (Master's Thesis)
- Boudreaux, Ramon (2014-05). Sequential High-Impact, Free-Fall Loading and Zoledronic Acid as a Novel Pre-Treatment for Disuse-Induced Bone Loss. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Yuen, Evelyn P (2013-05). Effects of High Dietary Iron and Gamma Radiation on Oxidative Stress and Bone. (Master's Thesis)
Texas A&M University; Health And Kinesiology; 1113 TAMU
College Station, TX 77843-1113