The major goal of my laboratory is to understand the function of the innate immune system, particularly in host-pathogen recognition and disease pathophysiology. We elucidated physiological function of Nod2 in the intestine. Our current areas of investigation include: (1) The functions and molecular mechanisms of cytoplasmic NLR family proteins; (2) The role of TLR and NLR proteins in host-pathogen interaction; (3) The pathogenesis of inflammatory diseases caused by dysregulated innate immune responses using molecular and cell biology, as well as gene-targeting approaches.
- Yale University - (New Haven, Connecticut, United States), Postdoctoral Training 2002
- Ph.D. in Immunology, Chiba University - (Chiba, Japan) 1998
- Chiba University Hospital - (Chiba, Japan) 1992
- M.D. in Medicine, Chiba University - (Chiba, Japan) 1991
- Vijayan, S., Sidiq, T., Yousuf, S., van den Elsen, P. J., & Kobayashi, K. S. (2019). Class I transactivator, NLRC5: a central player in the MHC class I pathway and cancer immune surveillance. Immunogenetics. 71(3), 273-282.
- Nechama, M., Kwon, J., Wei, S., Kyi, A. T., Welner, R. S., Ben-Dov, I. Z., ... Lu, K. P. (2018). The IL-33-PIN1-IRAK-M axis is critical for type 2 immunity in IL-33-induced allergic airway inflammation. Nature Communications. 9(1), 1603.
- Agudo, J., Park, E. S., Rose, S. A., Alibo, E., Sweeney, R., Dhainaut, M., ... Brown, B. D. (2018). Quiescent Tissue Stem Cells Evade Immune Surveillance. IMMUNITY. 48(2), 271-285.e5.
- Bist, P., Cheong, W. S., Ng, A., Dikshit, N., Kim, B., Pulloor, N. K., ... Sukumaran, B. (2017). E3 Ubiquitin ligase ZNRF4 negatively regulates NOD2 signalling and induces tolerance to MDP. Nature Communications. 8(1), 15865.
- Pandey, A., Ding, S. L., Qin, Q., Gupta, R., Gomez, G., Lin, F., ... de Figueiredo, P. (2017). Global Reprogramming of Host Kinase Signaling in Response to Fungal Infection. CELL HOST & MICROBE. 21(5), 637-649.e6.
- Kobayashi, K. S. (2013). Shaping Intestinal Bacterial Community by TLR and NLR Signaling. World review of nutrition and dietetics. Probiotic Bacteria and Their Effect on Human Health and Well-Being. (pp. 32-42). S. KARGER AG.
- Vijayan, S., Meissner, T. B., Lee, K., Liu, Y., Downs, I., Sidiq, T., ... Kobayashi, K. S. (2019). Role of NLRC5 and IRF1 in the induction of MHC class I. JOURNAL OF IMMUNOLOGY. 202(1),
- Kobayashi, K. S. (2014). Molecular mechanism of expression of MHC class I molecules. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF MOLECULAR MEDICINE. 34, S133-S133.
- Kobayashi, K. S. (2012). Molecular mechanism of downregualtion of MHC class I molecules in cancer. INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF MOLECULAR MEDICINE. 30, S5-S5.
- Delhase, M., Yagi, T., Kobayashi, K. S., & Nakanishi, M. (2008). 348 Role of the protein kinase TBK1 in TNFα-induced apoptosis. CYTOKINE. 43(3), 326-326.