The use of molecular probes is allowing us to gain new insights into fungal plant pathogens and to host responses to potential pathogens. We are currently developing real-time PCR primers for two downy mildews that are considered to be a threat to maize production if introduced into the US. We are also developing PCR-based tags genes for resistance to headsmut, anthracnose, downy mildew and grain mold in sorghum. These molecular tags will be useful for breeding cultivars with more durable resistance and for cloning specific resistance genes. We have also used PCR to clone segments of the cotton and sorghum equivalents of genes that function in known host defense pathways. These clones are being used to compare the rate and timing of induction of each gene in resistant and susceptible lines following inoculation with a pathogen.
- Ahn, E., Hu, Z., Perumal, R., Prom, L. K., Odvody, G., Upadhyaya, H. D., & Magill, C. (2019). Genome wide association analysis of sorghum mini core lines regarding anthracnose, downy mildew, and head smut. PLoS ONE. 14(5), e0216671-e0216671.
- Ahn, E., Prom, L. K., Odvody, G., & Magill, C. (2019). Defense responses against the sorghum anthracnose pathogen in leaf blade and midrib tissue of johnsongrass and sorghum. Physiological and Molecular Plant Pathology. 106, 81-86.
- Prom, L. K., Ahn, E., Isakeit, T., & Magill, C. (2019). GWAS analysis of sorghum association panel lines identifies SNPs associated with disease response to Texas isolates of Colletotrichum sublineola. Theoretical and Applied Genetics. 132(5), 1389-1396.
- Radwan, G. L., Prom, L. K., Odvody, G., & Magill, C. W. (2019). Mating type a locus alleles and genomic polymorphism in Sporisorium reilianum: comparison of sorghum isolates to those from maize. Australasian Plant Pathology. 48(2), 119-129.
- Ortiz, C. S., Bell, A. A., Magill, C. W., & Liu, J. (2017). Specific PCR Detection of Fusarium oxysporum f. sp. vasinfectum California Race 4 Based on a Unique Tfo1 Insertion Event in the PHO Gene.. Plant Disease. 101(1), 34-44.
- Magill, C. W. (2013). Downy mildews from gramineaceous crops in North America and those of regulatory concern. PHYTOPATHOLOGY. 103(6), 178-178.
- Perumal, R., Little, C. R., Erraitaimuthu, S. R., Prom, L. K., & Magill, C. W. (2011). Genetic diversity and pathotype determination of Colletotrichum sublineolum isolated causing anthracnose disease in sorghum. PHYTOPATHOLOGY. 101(6), S140-S141.
- Perumal, R., Little, C. R., Erraittaimuthu, S. R., Prom, L. K., & Magill, C. W. (2011). Virulence and molecular genotyping studies of Sporisorium relianum isolates in sorghum. PHYTOPATHOLOGY. 101(6), S140-S140.
- Radwan, G. L., Perumal, R., Isakeit, T., Prom, L. K., Little, C. R., & Magill, C. W. (2010). Screening of exotic and commercial sorghum accessions against a new virulent race (P6) of Peronosclerospora sorghi causing downy mildew disease. PHYTOPATHOLOGY. 100(6), S106-S106.
- Little, C. R., & Magill, C. W. (2005). Elicitation of defense response genes in Sorghum bicolor (L.) Moench in response to infection by Fusarium thapsinum and Curvularia lunata at anthesis. PHYTOPATHOLOGY. 95(6), S151-S151.
- Radwan, Ghada Lotfy Hassan Elhefny (2013-05). Molecular Comparison and DNA Fingerprinting of Sporisorium reilianum and Peronosclerospora sorghi Relating to Host Specificity and Host Resistance. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Katile, Seriba Ousmane (2007-12). Expression of defense genes in sorghum grain mold and tagging and mapping a sorghum anthracnose resistance gene. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Cho, Jae-Min (2005-05). Isolation and characterization of resistance gene analogs (RGAs) in sorghum. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Viswanathan, Aparna (2003-08). Phylogenetic analysis of sclerospora graminicola using internal transcribed spaced region-2. (Master's Thesis)
- Sabry, Ahmed Mohamed-Bashir (2003-08). QTL mapping of resistance to sorghum downy mildew in maize. (Doctoral Dissertation)