Robert M. Capraro, is Co-Director of Aggie STEM, and Professor Mathematics Education in the Department of Teaching Learning and Culture at Texas A&M University. Dr. Capraro's expertise is applied research in school settings, program evaluation, the teacher as change agent for STEM school improvement, and STEM student achievement. He recently received the best paper award from the International Conference on Engineering Education where he and two colleagues presented their work related to Aggie STEM. He is currently involved in research in four school districts with more than 350,000 students and 150 teachers. His editorial work includes Associate Editor of the American Educational Research Journal, School Science and Mathematics, and Middle Grades Research Journal and the Research Advisory Committee for the Association of Middle Level Education, editorial board for the Journal for Research Mathematics Education and he is the current editor of the Journal for Urban Mathematics Education. He was selected as a minority scholar for 2007 by the Educational Testing Service and served as president of the Southwest Educational Research Association. He is the author or co-author of six books, several book chapters and more than 130 research articles. Along with 5 colleagues he was recently awarded a 12-million-dollar grant from Institute of Education Sciences bringing his total external funding to ~30 million. He has worked extensively and been funded to investigate pre-college readiness, high school STEM success, and college mathematics readiness and been external evaluator on ~14 million dollars dealing with teacher readiness to teach mathematics, college readiness of language minority students, and community college student STEM success. He has been a member of AERA for 21 years including three years as a doctoral student and held several leadership positions.
- Ph.D. in , University of Southern Mississippi - (Hattiesburg, Mississippi, United States) 2000
- Ed.S. in , University of Miami - (Coral Gables, Florida, United States) 1993
- M.S. in , University of Miami - (Coral Gables, Florida, United States) 1991
- B.S.Ed. in , St. Thomas University - (Miami Gardens, Florida, United States) 1987
- Kwok, M., Vela, K. N., Rugh, M. S., Lincoln, Y. S., Capraro, R. M., & Capraro, M. M. (2020). STEM words and their multiple meanings: the intricacies of asking a clarifying question. Communication Education. 69(2), 1-23.
- Lee, Y., Capraro, R. M., & Bicer, A. (2019). Affective Mathematics Engagement: a Comparison of STEM PBL Versus Non-STEM PBL Instruction. Canadian Journal of Science, Mathematics and Technology Education. 19(3), 270-289.
- Lyakhova, S., Joubert, M., Capraro, M. M., & Capraro, R. M. (2019). Designing a curriculum based on four purposes: let mathematics speak for itself. JOURNAL OF CURRICULUM STUDIES. 51(4), 513-529.
- Kopparla, M., Bicer, A., Vela, K., Lee, Y., Bevan, D., Kwon, H., ... Capraro, R. M. (2019). The effects of problem-posing intervention types on elementary students' problem-solving. EDUCATIONAL STUDIES. 45(6), 708-725.
- Young, J. L., Young, J. R., & Capraro, R. M. (2018). Gazing Past the Gaps: A Growth-Based Assessment of the Mathematics Achievement of Black Girls. Urban Review. 50(1), 156-176.
- Capraro, M. M., Whitfield, J. G., Etchells, M. J., & Capraro, R. M. (2016). A companion to interdisciplinary stem project-based learning: For educators by educators (second edition). SensePublishers.
- Capraro, R. M., Capraro, M. M., & Morgan, J. R. (2013). STEM project-based learning an integrated science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) approach. SensePublishers.
- Rosli, R., Capraro, M. M., Goldsby, D., Elsa, G. G., Capraro, R. M., & Onwuegbuzie, A. J. (2015). Middle-grade preservice teachers’ mathematical problem solving and problem posing. Mathematical Problem Posing: From Research to Effective Practice. (pp. 333-354). Springer New York.
- Capraro, R. M., & Corlu, M. S. (2013). Changing views on assessment for STEM project-based learning. STEM Project-Based Learning an Integrated Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) Approach. (pp. 109-118). SensePublishers.
- Capraro, R. M., & Slough, S. W. (2013). Why PBL? why STEM? why now? an introduction to STEM project-based learning: An integrated science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) approach. STEM Project-Based Learning an Integrated Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics (STEM) Approach. (pp. 1-5). SensePublishers.
- Fidai, A., Barroso, L. R., Capraro, M. M., Capraro, R. M., & IEEE, .. (2019). Can Building an Electric Bicycle Build an Engineering Identity?. 2016 IEEE FRONTIERS IN EDUCATION CONFERENCE (FIE). 2018-October, 1-5.
- Lee, Y., Bicer, A., Capraro, R. M., Capraro, M. M., Barroso, L., Kwon, H., Rugh, M., & IEEE, .. (2019). Comparing Mathematics and Science Achievement of Students from Schools with PLTW versus Schools without PLTW. 2016 IEEE FRONTIERS IN EDUCATION CONFERENCE (FIE). 2018-October, 1-5.
- Bicer, A., Lee, Y., Capraro, R. M., Capraro, M. M., Barroso, L. R., Bevan, D., Vela, K., & IEEE, .. (2019). Cracking the Code: The Effects of Using Microcontrollers to Code on Students' Interest in Computer and Electrical Engineering. 2016 IEEE FRONTIERS IN EDUCATION CONFERENCE (FIE). 2018-October, 1-7.
- Rugh, M. S., Calabrese, J. E., Madson, M. A., Capraro, R. M., Barroso, L. R., Capraro, M. M., Bicer, A., & IEEE, .. (2019). STEM Language can be the Stem of the Problem. 2016 IEEE FRONTIERS IN EDUCATION CONFERENCE (FIE). 2018-October, 1-7.
- Vela, K. N., Bicer, A., Capraro, R. M., Barroso, L. R., Caldwell, C., & IEEE, .. (2019). What Matters to My Future: STEM Int-her-est and Expectations. 2016 IEEE FRONTIERS IN EDUCATION CONFERENCE (FIE). 2018-October,
- Montague-CTE Scholar conferred by Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States) - College of Education and Human Development 2002
- Higareda, Sandra Leticia (2018-08). The Relationship Between Teacher-Caring Behaviors and Reading Achievement. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Chapa De La Rosa, Imelda Graciela (2018-08). Attributes That Promote Academic Resilience Among At-Risk English Learners in Two South Texas Middle Schools. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Garcia, Cristela (2018-05). Former Students of Hispanic Descent First in the Family to Graduate High School: What Did It Take to Achieve a High School Diploma and Have They Transitioned to College?. (Doctoral Dissertation)