- Faculty Affiliate, Institute for Engineering Education and Innovation, Texas A&M Engineering Experiment Station (TEES)
- Co-Project Director, Aggie STEM, College of Education and Human Development, College of Engineering
- Member, Engineering Education Research Taskforce, College of Engineering
- Professor, Teaching, Learning and Culture, College of Education and Human Development
Robert M. Capraro, is Co-Director of Aggie STEM, and Professor Mathematics Education in the Department of Teaching Learning and Culture at Texas A&M University. Dr. Capraro's expertise is applied research in school settings, program evaluation, the teacher as change agent for STEM school improvement, and STEM student achievement. He recently received the best paper award from the International Conference on Engineering Education where he and two colleagues presented their work related to Aggie STEM. He is currently involved in research in four school districts with more than 350,000 students and 150 teachers. His editorial work includes Associate Editor of the American Educational Research Journal, School Science and Mathematics, and Middle Grades Research Journal and the Research Advisory Committee for the Association of Middle Level Education, editorial board for the Journal for Research Mathematics Education and he is the current editor of the Journal for Urban Mathematics Education. He was selected as a minority scholar for 2007 by the Educational Testing Service and served as president of the Southwest Educational Research Association. He is the author or co-author of six books, several book chapters and more than 130 research articles. Along with 5 colleagues he was recently awarded a 12-million-dollar grant from Institute of Education Sciences bringing his total external funding to ~30 million. He has worked extensively and been funded to investigate pre-college readiness, high school STEM success, and college mathematics readiness and been external evaluator on ~14 million dollars dealing with teacher readiness to teach mathematics, college readiness of language minority students, and community college student STEM success. He has been a member of AERA for 21 years including three years as a doctoral student and held several leadership positions.
- Ph.D. in , University of Southern Mississippi - (Hattiesburg, Mississippi, United States) 2000
- Ed.S. in , University of Miami - (Coral Gables, Florida, United States) 1993
- M.S. in , University of Miami - (Coral Gables, Florida, United States) 1991
- B.S.Ed. in , St. Thomas University - (Miami Gardens, Florida, United States) 1987
- Kwon, H., Capraro, R. M., & Capraro, M. M (2021). When I Believe, I Can: Success STEMs from My Perceptions. Canadian Journal of Science, Mathematics and Technology Education. 21(1), 67-85.
- Fidai, A., Capraro, M. M., & Capraro, R. M (2020). “Scratch”-ing computational thinking with Arduino: A meta-analysis. Thinking Skills and Creativity. 38, 100726-100726.
- Bicer, A., Lee, Y., Perihan, C., Capraro, M. M., & Capraro, R. M (2020). Considering mathematical creative self-efficacy with problem posing as a measure of mathematical creativity. Educational Studies in Mathematics. 105(3), 457-485.
- Kwok, M., Vela, K. N., Rugh, M. S., Lincoln, Y. S., Capraro, R. M., & Capraro, M. M (2020). STEM words and their multiple meanings: the intricacies of asking a clarifying question. Communication Education. 69(2), 176-198.
- Kopparla, M., Bicer, A., Vela, K., Lee, Y., Bevan, D., Kwon, H., ... Capraro, R. M (2019). The effects of problem-posing intervention types on elementary students’ problem-solving. Educational Studies. 45(6), 708-725.
- Capraro, M. M., Whitfield, J. G., Etchells, M. J., & Capraro, R. M (2016). A Companion to Interdisciplinary STEM Project-Based Learning. SensePublishers.
- Rosli, R., Capraro, M. M., Goldsby, D., y Gonzalez, E. G., Onwuegbuzie, A. J., & Capraro, R. M (2015). Middle-Grade Preservice Teachers’ Mathematical Problem Solving and Problem Posing. Mathematical Problem Posing. 333-354. Springer New York.
- Capraro, R. M., & Corlu, M. S (2013). Changing views on Assessment for STEM Project-Based Learning. STEM Project-Based Learning. 109-118. SensePublishers.
- Capraro, R. M., & Slough, S. W (2013). Why PBL? Why STEM? Why now? an Introduction to STEM Project-Based Learning. STEM Project-Based Learning. 1-5. SensePublishers.
- Fidai, A., Barroso, L. R., Capraro, M. M., & Capraro, R. M (2020). Effects of Engineering Design Process on Science and Mathematics. 2020 IEEE Frontiers in Education Conference (FIE), 2020 IEEE Frontiers in Education Conference (FIE). 00, 1-4.
- Rugh, M., Beyette, D., Capraro, M., & Capraro, R (2020). Using Computer-generated Concept Maps in the Engineering Design Process to Improve Physics Learning. 2020 ASEE Virtual Annual Conference Content Access Proceedings, 2020 ASEE Virtual Annual Conference Content Access.
- Bicer, A., Lee, Y., Capraro, R. M., Capraro, M. M., Barroso, L. R., & Rugh, M (2019). Examining the Effects of STEM PBL on Students’ Divergent Thinking Attitudes Related to Creative Problem Solving. 2019 IEEE Frontiers in Education Conference (FIE), 2019 IEEE Frontiers in Education Conference (FIE). 00, 1-6.
- Fidai, A., Kwon, H., Buettner, G., Capraro, R. M., Capraro, M. M., Jarvis, C., Benzor, M., & Verma, S (2019). Internet of Things (IoT) Instructional Devices in STEM Classrooms: Past, Present and Future Directions. 2019 IEEE Frontiers in Education Conference (FIE), 2019 IEEE Frontiers in Education Conference (FIE). 00, 1-9.
- Fidai, A., Jarvis, C., Benzor, M., Verma, S., Capraro, M. M., & Capraro, R. M (2019). Motivating Future Engineers: Building Situation Sensing Mars Rover with Elementary School Students. 2019 IEEE Frontiers in Education Conference (FIE), 2019 IEEE Frontiers in Education Conference (FIE). 00, 1-7.
- Montague Center for Teaching Excellence (CTE) Scholar conferred by Texas A&M University - (College Station, Texas, United States) - College of Education and Human Development 2002
- Jones, Javelo Armad (2020-12). Culture, Class, and Connections: Using Inquiry Based Learning to Promote Culturally Responsive Instruction. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Vela, Katherine Nicole (2020-08). Empow"her"ing Female Students to Pursue STEM Fields. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Burney, Allison Payne (2020-05). Determining the Effectiveness of a Professional Development Experience Focused on Integrating Computer Science into Early Childhood Curriculum. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- David, Jonathan Michael (2019-08). Mixed Methods Study of Problem-Solving and Metacognition in the Elementary Classroom. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Lee, Yujin (2019-08). A RIGOROUS EXPLORATION OF STUDENTS' AFFECTIVE MATHEMATICS ENGAGEMENT ACROSS SAMPLES AND CONTEXTS. (Doctoral Dissertation)