Dr. Marco A Palma is Professor in the Department of Agricultural Economics at Texas A&M University. His areas of interest are consumer economics, food choices, experimental and behavioral economics and neuroeconomics. Dr Palma is the director of the Human Behavior Laboratory (http://hbl.tamu.edu), a transdisciplinary facility that integrates state of the art technology to measure biometric and neurophysiological responses of human decision making. The HBL aims to facilitate the integration of neurophysiological responses to traditional methods of studying human behavior in the social sciences. Specifically, it provides access to state of the art equipment to simultaneously collect psychophysiological data, including eye tracking, facial expression analysis to assess human emotions, neural signals (electroencephalography), galvanic skin response (GSR) heart and respiration rates through integrated stimulus presentation platforms.
- Ph.D. in Agricultural Economics, University of Florida - (Gainesville, Florida, United States) 2005
- M.S. in Agricultural Economics, University of Florida - (Gainesville, Florida, United States) 2002
- B.S. in Agribusiness Management and Agricultural Science, University of Florida - (Gainesville, Florida, United States) 2000
- A.S. in General Agriculture, Zamorano Pan-American Agricultural School - (Tegucigalpa, Honduras) 1999
- Zhang, Y., & Palma, M. A. (2020). The impact of the H-1B cap exemption on Ph.D. labor markets. Empirical Economics. 59(5), 2125-2152.
- Chavez, D. E., Palma, M. A., Nayga, R. M., & Mjelde, J. W. (2020). Product availability in discrete choice experiments with private goods. Journal of Choice Modelling. 36, 100225-100225.
- Segovia, M. S., Palma, M. A., & Nayga, R. M. (2020). Can episodic future thinking affect food choices?. Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization. 177, 371-389.
- Montoya, J. E., Arnold, M. A., Rangel, J., Stein, L. R., & Palma, M. A. (2020). Pollinator-attracting Companion Plantings Increase Crop Yield of Cucumbers and Habanero Peppers. HORTSCIENCE. 55(2), 164-169.
- Segovia, M. S., Palma, M. A., & Nayga, R. M. (2019). The effect of food anticipation on cognitive function: An eye tracking study. PLoS One. 14(10), e0223506-e0223506.
- Byrne, D. H., Pemberton, H. B., Holeman, D. J., Debener, T., Waliczek, T. M., & Palma, M. A. (2019). Survey of the rose community: desired rose traits and research issues. International Society for Horticultural Science (ISHS).
- Leskovar, D. I., Crosby, K. M., Palma, M. A., & Edelstein, M. (2014). Vegetable Crops: Linking Production, Breeding and Marketing. Horticulture: Plants for People and Places, Volume 1. (pp. 75-96). Springer Netherlands.
- Segovia, M. S., Palma, M. A., & Leskovar, D. I. (2016). Factors affecting consumer preferences and willingness to pay for artichoke products. V INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM ON SEED, TRANSPLANT AND STAND ESTABLISHMENT OF HORTICULTURAL CROPS. 1147(1147), 271-280.
- Patil, B. S., Uckoo, R. M., Jayaprakasha, G. K., & Palma, M. A. (2016). Consumers’ changing perceptions of quality: revisiting the science of fruit and vegetable cultivation for improved health benefits. V INTERNATIONAL SYMPOSIUM ON SEED, TRANSPLANT AND STAND ESTABLISHMENT OF HORTICULTURAL CROPS. 1120(1120), 459-468.
- King, A. R., Arnold, M. A., Hall, C. R., Pemberton, H. B., Palma, M. A., & Carver, S. T. (2014). Influence of Provenance on Acute Drought Tolerance of Four Native Texas Groundcover Species. HORTSCIENCE. 49(9), S225-S226.
- King, A. R., Arnold, M. A., Hall, C. R., Pemberton, H. B., Palma, M. A., & Carver, S. T. (2014). Influence of Substrates and Controlled-release Fertilizer on Growth Characteristics of Select Native Texas Species. HORTSCIENCE. 49(9), S57-S57.
- Pemberton, B., Arnold, M., Davis, T., Lineberger, D., McKenney, C., Rodriguez, D., ... de Los Santos, R. (2011). The Texas superstar ® program: Success through partnership. HortTechnology. 21(6), 698-699.
- Palma, M. A. (2019). Scammers don’t cheat because they need the money — they cheat because they’re cheaters. - An article submitted to The Conversation
- Palma, M. A. (2018). Research on how self-control works could help you stick with New Year’s resolutions. - An article submitted to The Conversation
- Xu, Zhicheng (2016-08). Essays on Fairness Preferences: An Experimental Approach. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Li, Yajuan (2016-08). Three Essays on Economic Evaluation of Health Intervention Programs and Health Policy. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Xu, Suli (2016-05). U.S Fresh Fruit Import Market Demand Analysis: Import Elasticities and Seasonality. (Master's Thesis)
- Chavez, Daniel (2015-08). Willingness to Pay for Strawberries: Effect of Number of Choices Using Nonhypothetical Valuation Procedures. (Master's Thesis)
- Ness, Meghan Leigh (2014-12). Evaluating the External Validity of Experimental Auctions: The Case of Hydroponic Lettuce. (Master's Thesis)