The goal of our research is to understand the molecular mechanisms that control NF-kappaB regulatory networks in the central nervous system (CNS). NF-kappaB is a ubiquitously expressed, evolutionarily conserved transcription factor that responds to a variety of signals and regulates fundamental processes, including cell growth and proliferation, inflammation, invasion and angiogenesis. Indeed, aberrant NF-kappaB activity or expression is associated with many cancers, as it can promote tumorigenesis, tumor progression and resistance to therapy. Our focus is on glioblastoma, a common and highly lethal CNS tumor that is very resistant to current treatment strategies.
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill - (Chapel Hill, North Carolina, United States), Postdoctoral Training 2006
- Ph.D. in Physiology, University of California, San Francisco - (San Francisco, California, United States) 2000
- A.B. in Biology and Spanish, Columbia University - (New York, New York, United States) 1992
- Pflug, K. M., & Sitcheran, R. (2020). Targeting NF-κB-Inducing Kinase (NIK) in Immunity, Inflammation, and Cancer. International Journal of Molecular Sciences. 21(22), 8470-8470.
- Usama, S. M., Jiang, Z., Pflug, K., Sitcheran, R., & Burgess, K. (2019). Conjugation of Dasatinib with MHI‐148 Has a Significant Advantageous Effect in Viability Assays for Glioblastoma Cells. ChemMedChem. 14(17), 1575-1579.
- Jiang, Z., Pflug, K., Usama, S. M., Kuai, D., Yan, X., Sitcheran, R., & Burgess, K. (2019). Cyanine-Gemcitabine Conjugates as Targeted Theranostic Agents for Glioblastoma Tumor Cells.. Journal of Medicinal Chemistry. 62(20), 9236-9245.
- Jung, J., Ravi, S., Lee, D. W., McFadden, K., Kamradt, M. L., Toussaint, L. G., & Sitcheran, R. (2016). NIK/MAP3K14 Regulates Mitochondrial Dynamics and Trafficking to Promote Cell Invasion. Current Biology. 26(24), 3288-3302.
- Duran, C. L., Lee, D. W., Jung, J., Ravi, S., Pogue, C. B., Toussaint, L. G., Bayless, K. J., & Sitcheran, R. (2016). NIK regulates MT1-MMP activity and promotes glioma cell invasion independently of the canonical NF-κB pathway. Oncogenesis. 5(6), e231-e231.
- Duran, C. L., Lechuga, L., Lee, D. W., Bayless, K. J., & Sitcheran, R. (2015). Abstract B36: NF-kappaB-dependent and -independent roles for NIK in regulating GBM cell invasion. CANCER RESEARCH. 75, b36-b36.
- McFadden, Kassandra Nicole (2018-12). NF-kB Inducing Kinase (NIK) Is an Inducer of Glioma Invasion. (Master's Thesis)
- Jung, Jiung (2018-05). NIK, a Novel Regulator of Mitochondrial Dynamics and Invasion in High-Grade Glioma. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Cherry, Evan Michael (2017-05). Noncanonical NF-?B Signaling in Glioma is Activated by TWEAK and Promotes Invasion. (Doctoral Dissertation)