Our research has covered a wide variety of areas in atmospheric chemistry and physics and, in particular, the impacts of global air pollution on human health, ecosystems, and climate.
education and training
- Ph.D. in Atmospheric Chemistry, Massachusetts Institute of Technology - (Cambridge, Massachusetts, United States) 1993
- M.S. in Physics, University of Nevada Reno - (Reno, Nevada, United States) 1989
- B.S. in Atmospheric Sciences, Nanjing Institute of Environmental Sciences - (Nanjing, China) 1983
- Marrero-Ortiz, W., Hu, M., Du, Z., Ji, Y., Wang, Y., Guo, S., ... Zhang, R. (2019). Formation and Optical Properties of Brown Carbon from Small alpha-Dicarbonyls and Amines. Environmental science & technology. 53(1), 117-126.
- Rychlik, K. A., Secrest, J. R., Lau, C., Pulczinski, J., Zamora, M. L., Leal, J., ... Johnson, N. M. (2019). In utero ultrafine particulate matter exposure causes offspring pulmonary immunosuppression. PROCEEDINGS OF THE NATIONAL ACADEMY OF SCIENCES OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA-BIOLOGICAL SCIENCES. 116(9), 3443-3448.
- Lin, Y., Ji, Y., Li, Y., Secrest, J., Xu, W., Xu, F., ... Zhang, R. (2019). Interaction between succinic acid and sulfuric acid-base clusters. Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics. 19(12), 8003-8019.
- Lee, S., Gordon, H., Yu, H., Lehtipalo, K., Haley, R., Li, Y., & Zhang, R. (2019). New Particle Formation in the Atmosphere: From Molecular Clusters to Global Climate. JOURNAL OF GEOPHYSICAL RESEARCH-ATMOSPHERES. 124(13), 7098-7146.
- Hu, J., Rosenfeld, D., Ryzhkov, A., Zrnic, D., Williams, E., Zhang, P., ... Weitz, R. (2019). Polarimetric Radar Convective Cell Tracking Reveals Large Sensitivity of Cloud Precipitation and Electrification Properties to CCN. JOURNAL OF GEOPHYSICAL RESEARCH-ATMOSPHERES. 124(22), 12194-12205.
- Zhang, R., & Wang, G. (2018). Particle acidity and sulfate production during severe haze in China. ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY. 256,
- Zamora, M. L., & Zhang, R. (2016). Air pollutants and human health: What have we learned so far?. ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY. 252,
- Peng, J., Hu, M., Guo, S., Du, Z., Zheng, J., Shang, D., ... Zhang, R. (2016). Markedly enhanced absorption and direct radiative forcing of black carbon under polluted urban environments. ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY. 252,
- Hu, M., Wu, Z., Guo, S., Wang, Z., Yue, D., Wiedensohler, A., ... Zhang, R. (2016). New particle formation under the complex air pollution in China. ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY. 252,
- Guo, S., Hu, M., Lin, Y., Gomez, M., Zamora, M., Collins, D., & Zhang, R. (2016). OH-initiated oxidation of m-xylene on black carbon aging. ABSTRACTS OF PAPERS OF THE AMERICAN CHEMICAL SOCIETY. 252,
awards and honors
chaired theses and dissertations
- Pan, Bowen (2015-12). Assessing the Impact of Saharan Dust on Atlantic Regional Climate and Tropical Cyclogenesis. (Master's Thesis)
- Xu, Wen (2014-05). Nucleation and Growth of Atmospheric Nanoparticles at Molecular Scale. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Wang, Yuan (2013-08). Aerosol-cloud Interactions from Urban, Regional, to Global Scales. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Qiu, Chong (2013-05). Atmospheric Aerosols Aging Involving Organic Compounds and Impacts on Particle Properties. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Levy, Misti E (2013-05). Atmospheric Measurements of Submicron Aerosols at the California-Mexico Border and in Houston, Texas. (Master's Thesis)
- Vogel, Jonathan 1988- (2012-12). Simulation of Aerosol-Cloud Interactions in the WRF Model at the Southern Great Plains Site. (Master's Thesis)
- Lee, Keun-Hee (2011-12). Modeling the Direct and Indirect Effects of Atmospheric Aerosols on Tropical Cyclones. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Lal, Vinita (2011-12). Heterogeneous Reactions of Epoxides in Acidic Media. (Master's Thesis)
- Cruz Quinones, Miguel (2009-12). Heterogeneous Reaction of NO2 on Soot Surfaces and the Effect of Soot Aging on its Reactivity Leading to HONO Formation. (Master's Thesis)
- Xue, Huaxin (2009-05). Variation in Morphology, Hygroscopicity, and Optical Properties of Soot Particles Coated by Dicarboxylic Acids. (Master's Thesis)
- Li, Guohui (2008-08). Investigation of the aerosol-cloud interaction using the WRF framework. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Zhao, Jun (2007-12). Experimental and theoretical investigation of nucleation and growth of atmospheric aerosols. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Fan, Jiwen (2007-08). Effects of aerosols on deep convective cumulus clouds. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Levitt, Nicholas Paul (2007-05). Heterogeneous organic acid uptake on soot surfaces. (Master's Thesis)
- Fortner, Edward Charles (2006-12). Airborne and ground based measurements of volatile organic compounds using proton transfer reaction mass spectrometry in Texas and Mexico City. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Zhang, Dan (2003-05). Laboratory investigation of chemical and physical properties of soot-containing aerosols. (Doctoral Dissertation)
- Suh, Inseon (2003-05). Photochemistry of aromatic hydrocarbons: implications for ozone and secondary organic aerosol formation. (Doctoral Dissertation)
Texas A&M University; Meteorology; 3150 TAMU
College Station, TX 77843-3150